Author Topic: Nobody's angel by maidenofthesea  (Read 40861 times)

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
Re: Nobody's angel by maidenofthesea
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2006, 11:15:00 pm »
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

mvansand76

« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2006, 04:54:31 am »

mvansand76

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2006, 06:40:31 am »
That was absolutely amazing, such great dialogue, such great character development...

I am still wondering how it can be that Ezra is so OK with it, is it just because he is his twin brother and he wants to be able to share things with his brother and not make him run away? Maybe because he is a bit more 'schooled', but still, his brother is in love with a guy AND he's a Soc. That's a lot to take....

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2006, 10:39:09 am »
I think them being twins could have a lot to do with it, you so often hear that twins have this really special connection to each other. As for the Soc thing ~ Ezra told Ennis he was lucky to have met and friended a Soc guy, that he got in and that he wished he too had other friends outside of their world and that he's always wondered what it would be like to be friends with one, so I don't think Jack being a Soc guy is too much of a problem for Ezra. I think KE will be completely different though.

I loved their time at the fair, in the Haunted House and on the Ferris wheel. That was so wonderful. And I adored them taking their picture together. Thats always so much fun to do in one of those photo booths *SIGH* I just didn't want their time together to end. And I was just so sad at the ending of the chaper, Jack watching Ennis walk off  :( his thoughts on Ennis, his love for Ennis and the way he so carefully and lovingly put their pics into his magazine. I hope to God his father never finds that magazine.

I love Nobody's Angel. So much  :)

mvansand76

« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2006, 11:12:30 am »
I think you're right, June! Ezra is a very special, intelligent kid (guy) who has probably learned a lot more about life and would like to see farther than only Socs and Greasers...

I loved this chapter, and I loved the part at the fair too, especially when Ennis saw Jack and Lureen.

First this:

“No I don’t think you do.” Jack kissed her cheek over and over again and Ennis blinked every time he did it.

And then:

The girl turned around and bopped Jack on the head with the plastic bat and Jack laughed. But it didn’t sound like the way he laughed with Ennis. He didn’t look at her when he laughed.

So he knows that for Jack, this with Lureen is just pretend...

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2006, 11:25:23 am »
Thank God Ennis realises that about Jack and Lureen. I hated him witnessing that kiss, felt so sorry for him  :( I think Helen said something similar in her comment ~  I just wish Lureen would go away and never come back! LOL

mvansand76

« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2006, 11:31:35 am »
Thank God Ennis realises that about Jack and Lureen. I hated him witnessing that kiss, felt so sorry for him  :( I think Helen said something similar in her comment ~  I just wish Lureen would go away and never come back! LOL

LOL, that would be perfect! But in the end we know that she doesn't pose a threat, she is just a cover!  ;)

one_of_one

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2006, 12:51:40 pm »

Yeah I did say something or other about it.  I just really felt for Ennis, even though he knew it was a cover, deep down he'd still be feeling hurt.

And can someone explain something that's been puzzling me.  The bit where Ennis and Ezra are talking and Ennis said he didn't know Jack's name....I just did;t get that, because he did know.  Jack told him his name when Ezra drew the knife on him, and then Ezra went home and said "I met your buddy Jack Twist".  It's not that long between the two times so surely he can't have forgotten.  Someone further down the thread had an explanation for this, but I reread the scene and it still didn't make any sense.

I'm wondering if it's all to do with the Jacob and the Angel imagery where in the library Ennis says "You don't have a name?"  And here Ezra persists in asking Ennis the name of his boyfriend.  I'll need to think a bit more.

But, oh what a depth of feeling there is between Ennis and Jack, even though both are unsure as to how to proceed.

I love this story so much!!

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2006, 08:51:46 pm »
honestly, I didn't think there was any meaning in the name thing, I just thought it was a "first draft" mistake because I paused at that too... but now that you bring up the library scene I'm going to have to give that a bit more thought...
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

one_of_one

« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2006, 05:13:40 am »
I brought it up in my comment to her LJ, and this is her reply:

To me, and this was my intention and it may not have come out too clearly but here it is: Ezra wanted Ennis to say Jack's name. He wanted Ennis to admit it and not just say 'hey you ran into some guy in an alley that tried to do this to you' In the context of this conversation, it was important to Ezra for him to hear Ennis say his name NOW. Saying Jack now wasn't like saying Jack before or ever again. I really think Ezra saw it as an admission of what was going on.

I can understand that.  Ennis is denying to Ezra and to himself that there is anything going on between him and Jack.  But obviously Ezra knows because of the alley scene.  I get the importance of Ennis saying it because he and Jack have been living in a kind of fantasy space up till now, meeting secretly in deserted stations, cinemas and trains, and alone in Jack's house...experiencing their relationship only out of this world, not in it.  And by forcing Ennis to say Jack's name in front of him, and to have admitted his relationship with him, it has now been dragged into the real world.  Where it needs to be really for Jack and Ennis to go any further.

Even with Jack Ennis has a tendency to almost accuse him of liking things that Ennis doesn't, but thankfully Jack sees through that, otherwise they wouldn't get anywhere at all.

Still confusing to read, though, I think.