Author Topic: Internet privacy concerns (was: online reputation and real life reputation)  (Read 8196 times)

injest

not to be too paranoid...

but there have been two women here locally that have had a bad experience with people they have met on the internet...

one was murdered while on the phone with the police. The man had been talking to her over the internet for several months...and drove all the way from Arizona to kill her.

another went to Florida for a meet and greet and never came back. He claims he put her on a bus. She left four kids behind...

and I know these are isolated incidents and that there are a thousand kazillion people that have GREAT experiences meeting people...but there are dangers out there..

Offline Longhorn32

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Re: Internet privacy concerns (was: online reputation and real life reputation)
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2007, 01:50:15 pm »
hmmm...this is interesting. I was thinking a lot about this sort of thing recently, mainly because after a year and a half, I finally put some actual pics of me up on my facebook/myspace pages....

As far as employers go, and RL vs. internet life....that is terrible to think they would do that. And it could probably be argued that it's discriminatory, of course, but how could you ever prove it....

I wonder if people on here are paranoid, or worried, that someone might "find out" they are on here because of the subject matter....or how they fear people might view them if they did find out.......probably so. But that seems like giving in to fear entirely too much, and letting "them" win.

I used to think that way...a bit at least...but dammit, when you're right, you're right. Which is to say that I stand behind my actions and words, because I know I'm right about this (this meaning bbm, bettermost, lgbt rights, etc). I think I'm also right about not letting fear dominate our lives.

Of course, I have no right to tell anyone else what to do, and that viewpoint above is a little naive when faced with day to day discrimination, internet predators/crazies, etc....another thing (that maybe takes a little away from what I said) is that I feel relatively "safe" in terms of my job - God willing, I will stay in the sweet bosom of academia forever...

:)

I do think we should all be careful in terms of meeting people in real life after meeting them online. Because you never know a) if they are really who they say there are and b) if they are crazy! And perhaps also when it comes to personal pictures on here....but I dunno. So, to pic or not to pic? That is the question...

O0

I forgot to say....I found this topic because my computer was loading bettermost so slowly that I thought maybe I could link to it quicker via Google. So, when I googled Bettermost, this thread was the 2nd result!!!
...it is life, more than death, that is without limits.

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2007, 03:30:22 pm »
Longhorn some time ago I posted this on Anything goes.
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,13151.0.html

I moderate in chat every day almost, and I know a lot about this kind of thing.

Dagi

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2007, 06:34:01 am »
I just googled Dagi, and guess what came out: Brokeback Dagi = Brokeback Mountain in turkish!!  :D :D :D

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2007, 06:41:44 am »
I just googled Dagi, and guess what came out: Brokeback Dagi = Brokeback Mountain in turkish!!  :D :D :D
heeeee!!!!!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Dagi

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2007, 03:37:59 pm »
I do think we should all be careful in terms of meeting people in real life after meeting them online. Because you never know a) if they are really who they say there are and b) if they are crazy!

;D Gary, a) are you really who you say you are? b) are you as crazy as you say you are? Otherwise I won't come over!  :laugh:

(No offense meant, Longhorn, I share your point of view...)

Dagi