Author Topic: All of you who use your real names on ff or LJ or wherever`  (Read 3183 times)

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
All of you who use your real names on ff or LJ or wherever`
« on: November 16, 2006, 04:06:29 pm »
...are completely accessible on Google.  Google yields my homepage on ff, with a complete list of my stories, and summaries, and I assume, access. I have to go to work...just read the first sentence of one of Jenna's Star Trek things....I'm not sure this is horrible, but i wish someone had told me, before i chose the name "Julie Vognar" as my pen name.

...and I don't need any comments about "who would want to read YOUR crap anyway?" Look yourselves up, and see what you find...
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: All of you who use your real names on ff or LJ or wherever`
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 04:19:44 pm »
you can turn off Google indexing, though, Julie.  I am in the midst of something right now but it is a profile setting in Livejournal.  When you turn off Google indexing then you do not show up.  It sometimes take a couple of days for all of the index listings to clear, but I have gone back and checked and Google will leave you alone if you tell it to!

Okay, here are the instructions, courtesy of Alexis G who posted them on Davecullen.com a few weeks ago:

1. Go to Manage in your LJ welcome page.
2. Under 'edit profile' you can select 'viewing options'
3. At the very bottom of your 'viewing options' page, there is a section that has this wording:

Additional privacy options
Search inclusion    Minimize your journal's inclusion in search engine results
We can instruct search engines not to include your journal entries in their search results. Not all search engines recognize this request; if you do not want a journal entry to show up in search results, then make sure it is posted private or Friends-only.

You want to CHECK this box!  This will help you.  This is also NOT selected by default.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 05:08:12 pm by louisev »
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 09:07:51 pm »
Thanks, Louisev! Most of my stuff is on fanfiction, thought--anyone have any suggestion fior that?

By the way, the first thing they list under "LiveJournal " (on google. under MY NAME!), is leslie's "Don Wroe Day" from TTVOT...don't think she'd like that!
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 08:42:25 am »
I don't know about FF, I don't use them. You might want to inquire of their moderators about whether their site is indexed by Google or if there are choices about it.  I was seriously relieved that I could turn off Google indexing on my LJ, itself! whew!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 03:01:44 am »
Louisev: It worked instantly on LJ--I am no longer a direct link to Leslie's TTVOT!
(Nor are the other 5 stories (I wrote and published on LJ)) available from Google.

Abiout ff---I better write Leslie. I have been trying to do something about it..so far, with no success.

I don't WANT all my past stories on FF to be directly linked by Google--but it may be hopeless. i changed my user name (ON FF), but Google wasn't having any of it--they provide a link, under my real name, to the NEW user name page, with all my stories.

BUT....I am mainly concerned with a story I just finished, If that one has to go on Google--I can't publish it. Simple as that. I don't want to be lynched or sued. No, it's nothing controversial to you, or anyone here...it's...other people. 

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 01:58:04 pm »
*I am so greatfuol to louisev for telling me how to get Google access off of Live Journal.

As for fanfiction...I have set up a new identity, with a new e-mail address, for a new story....the 10 I've published will have to just live with it (my name, and Google)--I could switch them to my new identity, but not without a loss of all reviews and hits totals.

DO NOT USE YOUR REAL NAME ON FF! Unless you want everyone you know and don't know to have access to your stuff, and know that you wrote it.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 04:10:39 am »
Happy ending...change your user name on fanfiction...and Google WILL drop your real name listing of the ff works..it just takes a little longer than with LJ...

Now if only they'd uploaqd my new story--they are having one of their frequent bad hair days...they keep all the little changes I made, but won't go any further than "click here for the category you want"...oh well--lots of good stuff to read, meanwhile.