Author Topic: Recipes - Main & Side Dishes  (Read 126970 times)

Marge_Innavera

Re: Recipes - Main & Side Dishes
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2008, 12:30:04 pm »
MOVED to http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,6108.msg301939.html#msg301939 at Recipes -- Cookies, Pies, Cakes and Other Sweets
by Marge_Innavera
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 09:58:54 pm by Marge_Innavera »

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2008, 01:40:54 pm »
That recipe sounds great, Marcia.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2008, 04:37:57 pm »
You posted that recipe in the cookie thread last year, Marcia, but I say it bears repeating! Thank you!!

Here is an unusual salad that I am planning to serve for Christmas dinner. My family likes beets this way much better than the Harvard Beets sweet-sour recipe. It is a Provencal recipe taught at the cooking school of Nathalie Wang at La Sara.

Raw Beet Salad La Sara

4 beets (about 1 1/2 lbs, stems discarded)
2/3 cup creme fraiche
2 T. fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp. salt or to taste
2 T. chopped dried apricots

Peel the beets and grate them into a serving bowl (be sure to wear an apron for this step). Add the creme fraiche, the lemon juice, and the salt, stirring until the mixture is combined well, and sprinkle the apricots over.

You can substitute plain yogurt for the creme fraiche.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2008, 04:43:17 pm »
Lee, what is creme fraiche? I like beets although I understand many people don't. I never used to eat them on school lunches though. They have an unusual, but good taste in my opinion. Beet greens are good too.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2008, 04:45:36 pm »
May I repeat:

Since you do not go to my threads on recipes nor origins of words or First Nations,
as I had no time to add such lately with death in family,
maybe some of you heard that cranberries is an First Nation food called atoka ?

Atoka Ice Cream
1 oz atoka juice
2 tbs sweet or not sweet dried cranberries (maybe whole fresh ones as I never tried that?)
3 cups 1/3 soft vanilla ice cream

Combine. Store to freeze until set.
Serve as cones or in bowl(s)

Me dire vos résultats (tell me your results) ??

Au revoir,
hugs!               

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2008, 04:55:20 pm »
Artiste, this looks like a lovely recipe. It would also be very appropos for Thanksgiving! I'm not sure when I'll try it, since it is very cold out today and I don't feel like eating ice cream!!

Jack, creme fraiche is like yogurt...it's a fermented cream that is on the way to cheese. In England, this is called clotted cream. It is a little like cottage cheese but smooth, not curdy, or salty. You can get it at Whole Foods or any high-end grocery store.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2008, 05:17:06 pm »
Merci Front-Ranger!

Then eat those attoka raw ?

Even, bring some dried one son your mountain aventures?

Good any time of the day? Snack!

No matter what age! School too!

How does cranberry juice help prevent urinary tract infections? It acidifies the urine, contains an antibacterial agent called hippuric acid, and also contains other compounds that reduce the ability of E. coli bacteria to adhere to the walls of the urinary tract. Before an infection can start, a pathogen must first latch on to and then penetrate the mucosal surface of the urinary tract walls, but cranberries prevent such adherence, so the E. coli is washed away in the urine and voided. Since E. coli is pathogen responsible for 80-90% of urinary tract infections, the protection afforded by cranberries is quite significant.
And you want to know more?

Maman et ma soeur, they give such the dogs attaks for urine infection; good for such for humans too!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2008, 08:39:45 pm »
Great information, friend! One time I visited a cranberry bog and it was fascinating to see the berries being harvested. I actually love recipes with raw cranberries even better than the cooked ones. For Christmas morning, I'm gonna make cranberry cheese muffins with raw berries and sharp cheddar cheese!!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2008, 11:23:13 pm »
For Christmas morning, I'm gonna make cranberry cheese muffins with raw berries and sharp cheddar cheese!!

That sounds yummo. I'll probably have oatmeal. ...  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2008, 11:47:27 pm »

Peel the beets and grate them into a serving bowl (be sure to wear an apron for this step). Add the creme fraiche, the lemon juice, and the salt, stirring until the mixture is combined well, and sprinkle the apricots over.

Why doesn't the lemon juice curdle the crème fraîche?