Author Topic: Recipes - Cookies, Pies, Cakes, and Other Sweets  (Read 148560 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Recipes - Cookies, Pies, Cakes, and Other Sweets
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2011, 08:55:20 am »
I've had those cupcakes before, very good!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2011, 01:38:41 pm »
I've made this recipe for Sticky Toffee Pudding 4 times in the last month and there's no end in sight!!

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/sticky-toffee-pudding-recipe

It is not really a pudding, more like a moist cake. This recipe calls for silicone muffin tins to bake individual cakes. That is a very easy, attractive and non messy way to make it, but it can be baked any way you like.

It comes with a caramel sauce, but you could substitute whipped cream, a chocolate or raspberry sauce.

This is a good holiday recipe. It's the pudding that carolers are asking for when they say "Bring us some figgy pudding..." and "we won't go until we get some!" I first enjoyed sticky toffee pudding in Britain and can't get enuff of it now!

One more thing. The best figs to use are in vacumn foil packages by Sunsweet. They are very succulent and flavorful.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2011, 05:35:11 pm »
Speaking of rice flour (as we were doing on the gravy train, er, thread) here is a recipe I found when I was trying to figure out what to do with the rose syrup that Chrissi gave me. It's wonderful!!

PERSIAN RICE COOKIES

FOR ROSE SYRUP:
3/4 sugar
1/4 cup water
1/4 tsp lemon juice
1/8 cup rose water
FOR THE COOKIES:
1 1/2 cups rice flour, plus more if required
1/2 cup melted ghee (melted clarified butter)
2 egg yolks plus 2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp cardamon powder
a handful of finely chopped pistas (pistachios) (plus more for garnish)

TO MAKE THE ROSE SYRUP:
In a saucepan, bring the sugar and water to a boil on med-low heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in rose water and lemon juice. Cool to room temperature. The syrup should not be too thick.

TO MAKE THE COOKIES:
In a bowl, beat the yolks and 2 tsp sugar, add the ghee, cardamon powder and beat well. Stir in 1 1/2 cups rice flour and handful of finely chopped pistas. Add enough syrup to be able to form a dough (knead with hands) which doesnt stick to your hands. For that add more flour or more syrup, as required.

Make walnut sized balls of the dough, lightly flatten, place 1 inch apart on a parchment lined baking sheet.

Bake for 15 minutes in a 350 degrees pre-heated oven. At the end of the baking time, the cookies should start to crack on top and turn white, which means they are done.

Don't handle the cookies until they cool for a bit. Then, sprinkle very finely chopped pistas over the top and lightly tap in place. Store in an airtight container only when completely cool.

Yield: 36 cookies

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2011, 02:59:46 pm »
from the White House pastry kitchen this year:

Pumpkin Cake with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
A recipe from the White House Pastry Kitchen

Cake:

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 ½ teaspoons ground ginger
¾ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
1¼ cups dark brown sugar
4 eggs
¾ cup vegetable oil
7 ounces of pumpkin puree (either homemade or from a can)
¼ cup whole milk, warmed

Pre-heat the oven to 340° Fahrenheit.

Sift the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ground ginger, baking soda, nutmeg and ground cloves into a large bowl. Put this aside. Whisk together brown sugar and eggs with a mixer. Beat in the vegetable oil and then the pumpkin puree. Add the dry ingredients mixture alternating with the whole milk in three parts. Mix well and scrape the sides and bottom of bowl between each part. Grease and flour bundt pan. Bake for about one hour. Let the cake cool in the pan and then turn out onto a cooling rack. For the finishing touch, pour the orange cream cheese icing over the top of the cooled bundt cake. Makes one cake from a 2 quart bundt pan.

Frosting:

1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 tablespoon orange zest
1 vanilla bean or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
6 ounces butter, softened
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 pound cream cheese, room temperature
Pinch of salt
½ cup fresh squeezed orange juice, strained

Place cream cheese and confectioners’ sugar in bowl and use a mixer until it becomes a smooth cream. If you are using a standing mixer, use the paddle attachment for the best results. Add the softened butter to the bowl. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a plastic spatula and then add the orange zest, vanilla bean or extract, heavy cream, pinch of salt and orange juice. Set the frosting aside until you are ready to pour over cake.

Note: the cream cheese frosting also makes an excellent topping for gingerbread or spice cake.  My grandmother used to call it "hard sauce."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2011, 03:54:05 pm »
That sounds yummy!  :D

But get a load of some of these ingredients for hard sauce:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_sauce

;D

And note what they call it at Cambridge!  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2011, 11:29:08 pm »
haha, named after you, friend!!

The sauce for sticky toffee pudding is similar to hard sauce, or is a caramel sauce. Mmmm, I'm getting hungry for sweets!

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2011, 09:37:18 am »
That sounds yummy!  :D

But get a load of some of these ingredients for hard sauce:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_sauce

;D

And note what they call it at Cambridge!  :laugh:

My Nana was a devout Baptist and didn't use alcohol even in cooking so she would have modified the recipe.  However, since the classic recipe didn't mention cream cheese, I'm not sure now what that was, but of course, no one's copyrighted the name. The Wiki entry does note the oxymoron in the name.

"Senior Wrangler" sauce?   Love it!   :laugh:

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2011, 10:13:58 am »
This pumpkin cake recipe looks wonderful - will have to try for the holidays.  :)
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2011, 10:24:53 am »
Key Lime Shortbread Bars

Shortbread:

1 cup (two sticks) butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 cups flour

Mix flour and powdered sugar; cut in butter or margarine with two knives until crumbly.  Press into bottom of 9x13 pan as a crust; bake at 350°, 20 minutes.

Filling:

4 eggs
2 cups sugar
6 tablespoons Key Lime juice
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
4 tablespoons flour
powdered sugar

Beat eggs till foamy. Gradually beat in sugar, Key Lime juice, baking powder and flour; pour over crust.  Bake at 350°, 25 minutes.  When cool, sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2011, 11:29:23 am »
That looks delicious!!