Author Topic: Holiday Menus  (Read 150393 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Holiday Menus
« Reply #140 on: December 26, 2015, 04:11:32 pm »
Sounds outstanding! I prepared leg of lamb this year. One problem I have is that when the lamb starts to brown and the drippings fall into the gravy pan, the kitchen starts to get smoky and we have to open some windows. I try to remember to put water in the gravy pan but it doesn't always take care of the problem. Anybody, like Paul, have any tips for me?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #141 on: December 26, 2015, 09:03:02 pm »
Sounds outstanding! I prepared leg of lamb this year. One problem I have is that when the lamb starts to brown and the drippings fall into the gravy pan, the kitchen starts to get smoky and we have to open some windows. I try to remember to put water in the gravy pan but it doesn't always take care of the problem. Anybody, like Paul, have any tips for me?

Hmm, I don't often do leg of lamb, but I have two ideas:

1) Put a bunch of sliced onions in the bottom of the pan; you can add them to the gravy.

2) Cook it on an outdoor grill

Offline BradInBlue

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #142 on: December 27, 2015, 12:31:17 am »
Impressive menu and item-coupling Paul.  Most our friends/family wouldn't know what most of the stuff you served is & I don't know that any one of them has ever had lamb :)  I kept the sit down part simple: Fab shrimp cocktail, Prime Rib, Idaho bakers, and charred Brussel Sprouts which I finished in Olive Oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes. No nice Port after, but the Naked Grape Cab (in the box) was a hit.

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #143 on: December 27, 2015, 09:33:40 am »
Cheers, Brad.  I love prime rib!  Isn't is just the cow version of rack of lamb?  Do you serve it on the bone?  When I was a kid, I would always ask for the bone because our German Shepard LOVED it.

I'll share a secret:  the reason I started doing rack of lamb--it only takes about 25 minutes to cook.  Roast for 500 degrees for ten minutes, then turn down to 350 for about 15 minutes for rosy rare. I don't even put it in until all the guests have arrived. 

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #144 on: December 28, 2015, 11:23:54 am »
I didn't have any recipies this year, mom said she wanted to handle it all.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline BradInBlue

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #145 on: December 28, 2015, 01:23:02 pm »
Cheers, Brad.  I love prime rib!  Isn't is just the cow version of rack of lamb?  Do you serve it on the bone?  When I was a kid, I would always ask for the bone because our German Shepard LOVED it.

Didn't do this one on the bone but that is my preferred way (protects & keeps the meat moist). This one had Kosher salt/granulated garlic/packed whole Rosemary crust.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #146 on: November 21, 2016, 10:38:59 pm »
The challenge I have every year is finding cornichons, which are de rigueur for holiday meals IMHO. This year, I only had to go to four places to find them! And most of these stores are the size of a football field! Go figure!

Offline BradInBlue

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #147 on: November 22, 2016, 01:01:14 am »
The challenge I have every year is finding cornichons, which are de rigueur for holiday meals IMHO. This year, I only had to go to four places to find them! And most of these stores are the size of a football field! Go figure!

Amazon.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #148 on: November 22, 2016, 11:40:55 am »
I'm getting  away easy this year.  Michelle wants me to just bake various rolls/breads and a Buffalo  Chicken Dip

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #149 on: November 22, 2019, 05:27:12 pm »
Twas the weekend before Thanksgiving. . .

and I'm searching for a recipe that I can make ahead, improves with mellowing a few days, and can be served a room temperature. I've already made all the relishes and pickles, etc.

Accepting ideas! I'm thinking maybe some kind of slaw.