Author Topic: Vegetarian holiday cooking  (Read 9754 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Vegetarian holiday cooking
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2006, 12:47:06 am »
Elle, I just wanted you to know that I tried your Golden Gravy and thought it was great!

I'm not a vegetarian, but I am single, and I rarely make a roast or a chicken, preferring to buy prepared foods from the deli.; hence I have no pan juices to make gravy from.  The yeast/tamari gravy also has the virtue of being low in cholesterol.

I used a can of fat-free chicken broth instead of water.  Next time I may try beef broth.  My gravy was a bit too flour-y tasting, but next time I'll adjust the amounts accordingly.  I served it with leftover turkey and potatoes, and it was quite satisfying, despite lacking the full flavor of the real thing.  I think it would be good served over root vegetables and rice, too.

Thanks for a great addition to my diet!  8)

I love that you tried it, Meryl.  It's a cool flavor, isn't it?  In this house, if I serve that, people think it's a great dinner, even if the rest of the meal is very simple.

Did you notice that after eating it your pee was bright yellow?  Just like after taking some B vitamins.  And also, because of all those B vitamins, did you notice a sort of mellow, all's right with the world kind of feeling?

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2006, 01:58:22 am »
I love that you tried it, Meryl.  It's a cool flavor, isn't it?  In this house, if I serve that, people think it's a great dinner, even if the rest of the meal is very simple.

Did you notice that after eating it your pee was bright yellow?  Just like after taking some B vitamins.  And also, because of all those B vitamins, did you notice a sort of mellow, all's right with the world kind of feeling?

I didn't notice the pee!  I'll have to look closer.  ;D

I did notice that I didn't get hungry for a long while, which for me is amazing.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2006, 03:21:22 pm »
ah yes - I need ideas for what i can eat in place of Turkey at the Christmas meal.. there is only so many nut roasts a veggie can eat!

We dont have tofurkey in the UK either...

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2006, 05:24:04 pm »
Isabelle, that's great that you're going to have your first Thanksgiving experience!  Be sure to let us know what you cooked up.  Good luck, and bon appetit!  8)

Hi Meryl!

I made my Thanksgiving meal today: I cooked a leg of a Turkey (for my family, not veggies), since you cannot find a whole Turkey here (that is Christmas food for us). I made cranberry sauce (the one with orange and ginger - was that yours, Meryl) and stuffing to eat on the side, and of course the mashed patatoes.  Eveybody LOVED it!
Then we had pumpkin pie, but I'm afraid I put too much cinnamon - and are you really supposed to leave the cloves in the pie as you bake it?  :o Gives the pie a funny taste, especially if you have a clove in your bite! Still, I liked it!

So thanks for the recipes! My first Thanksgiving meal, and I am very proud of it. I cooked for over 3 hours (Lureen was quick!), and couldn't help thinking of Ennis and Jack, of course!
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2006, 06:32:11 pm »
Congratulations, Isabelle, it sounds like your Thanksgiving was a success!  8)

The cranberry sauce recipe you used was probably Paul's (southendmd), and no, do not leave whole cloves in your pumpkin pie.  As you say, it makes for uncomfortable eating!  ;)  Powdered cloves are best, I think.

What kind of stuffing did you make?
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2006, 08:01:42 pm »
Congratulations, Isabelle, it sounds like your Thanksgiving was a success!  8)

What kind of stuffing did you make?

As I had no clue on what American stuffing is like, I made it French style: with sausage meat, an egg, bread crums, parsley and laurel wrapped in leek, and sultanas; cooked in the frying pan with a tiny bit of butter (normally, you stuff the animal with it, ok, but you can also have it as a side dish).
How do you make your stuffing?
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2006, 10:48:42 pm »
That sounds really good, Isabelle.  Actually, I've never made stuffing in my life, except the pre-packaged stovetop variety.  My mom used cubes of bread, celery, onions, spices, chicken broth and butter.  Very yummy!
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2021, 01:23:26 pm »
ah yes - I need ideas for what i can eat in place of Turkey at the Christmas meal.. there is only so many nut roasts a veggie can eat!

We dont have tofurkey in the UK either...

Kelda posted this years ago and I finally have the answer! I've found a "Beef Wellington" recipe made with mushrooms and I'm looking forward to trying it for my vegetarian friend M. during the holidays.
"chewing gum and duct tape"