Author Topic: Don't miss "Shortbus"  (Read 2150 times)

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Don't miss "Shortbus"
« on: November 20, 2006, 10:16:20 pm »
I just got back from seeing John Cameron Mitchell's "Shortbus."  I don't how to describe how moved I was by this film.

Oh....  wait.  Yes I do:  It's like I got Brokeback Fever all over again.  I'm dazed, stunned, and am having trouble concentrating.  And all for completely different reasons than for BBM.

If you go, go with someone you're extremely comfortable with, or go alone.  You may want to walk out during the first scene.  Don't.  Hang in there to the end. 

You won't regret it. 

Wow.  BBM and now Shortbus, all in less than a year. 
If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Don't miss "Shortbus"
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 11:55:39 am »
Wow, this is something I definitely have to see!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 05:49:14 pm »
Yeah, I saw it when it first screened in LA about a month ago. JCM is great at giving his character real life and blood. Both James and Sophia were able to make me care about them. From what I've read, JMC really collaborated with the actors to create the characters. As strange and messed up as they are, they're still very human. I thought the ending might have fallen apart a bit, but the characters were able to pull it together. And boy! don't you wish there was a place like the Shortbus near you somewhere.

and as a warning, since Imp didn't go into too much detail about the first scene. It very explicitly shows people in sexual situations, with 2 ejaculatory shots. It can be shocking, but it makes sense in the context of the film, imo.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 01:36:11 pm »
I couldn't find this playing anywhere so let me know when it's available on DVD.
"chewing gum and duct tape"