Author Topic: New thoughts on Jr's sweater  (Read 3036 times)

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
New thoughts on Jr's sweater
« on: April 07, 2006, 01:33:36 am »
at least I hope these are new thoughts... I've never heard this discussed before  ::)

I've always wondered what the significance was of Jr. leaving her sweater behind in Ennis's trailer in that final scene, as we've all always said, it seems as if everything in this movie is done for a reason.  After watching the DVD finally tonight I think I finally realized what it is.

I've always been struck by how alone Ennis is in his trailer at the end.  He's got the shirts, so it is as if he has the memory of Jack, but he is still alone.  But every time I think about this I always think, well, he isn't alone, he still has his daughters... but I still couldn't shake the sadness and the feeling that at the end of the movie Ennis is left with nothing but his memories.  I think Alma Jr.'s sweater is the reason I always feel this way.  Jr's sweater parallels Ennis and Jack's shirts in that, even though Alma is still alive, she's moved on with Kurt.  Though Ennis will still see her, it will never really be the same.  That sweater in a way symbolizes the memory of the relationship he had with her as she was growing up.  This makes me so sad because I don't want Ennis to be alone in the end, I want his daughter or even his memory of Jack to be some sort of solace, and I know it is....

Does this make sense to anyone? That last scene in the trailer just gets me every time because it is as if those few scenes leading up to the trailer scene (from his last meeting with Jack until the end) are a kind of a gradual peeling away process... he loses another person in each scene until it is just him, in his trailer, with his memories. That is one of the reasons it is so heartbreaking when he buttons Jack's shirt.  It is as if he is trying so hard to touch him one last time but can't.
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

EnnisDelMar

Re: New thoughts on Jr's sweater
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 01:39:27 am »
I get what you're saying..it's heartbreaking :'(

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 01:42:41 am »
Thanks a lot Mandster....now I'm all depressed!  LOL JK

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 01:43:45 am »
Going to bed everyone, goodnight.

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 01:45:14 am »
night Brandon!

I do what I can chris  ;)
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 01:48:29 am »
Aww, MandyI, I had all these thoughts to add to that after I read it, but now I find myself distraught and empty-headed *sigh*. The trailor scene is by far the sadest moment of cinematic history for me.

'Night Brandon.  :-* I think I'm gonna go in a min. or so too & do some work before going to bed.