Author Topic: We've got a big anniversary and movie event coming up  (Read 10770 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: We've got a big anniversary and movie event coming up
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2006, 04:24:14 am »
I had fun chatting with all of you all too!  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2006, 05:36:44 am »
Missed the chat.  Blast!

I first saw BBM in its first week of limited release in SF, when it was playing in 3 of the 5 theatres at Embarcadero and was selling out every show.  It did that for weeks.  Yet another reason to love San Francisco.  As more people at work saw it I remember the conversations that came about in the green room between shows.  From the people who were disappointed by what they saw as a lack of emotion, those that sympathized greatly with the wives, those that saw it as a great movie, and me who was obsessed by it.  I think my final theatre viewing count was 14.

What a year it's been, sharing thoughts and time and experiences with all of you.  Can you believe none of us knew each other a year ago?  I will never forget the Castro screening and all of the events surrounding it and getting to meet so many of you.  So wish I could have made it to the East Coast gatherings by more than the phone (and THAT was such a great time), but I will be in Alberta.

Now that I'm thiking about it, I remember my initial reaction to the movie more clearly.  I was one of the delayed reaction crowd.  Thought it was "good" when I was in the theatre after seeing it for the first time and then couldn't stop thinking about it for days on end.  I remember the feeling of withdrawl I would have if too many days went by that I didn't see it again.  I remember telling people that the reason I kept seeing it was that "it inspires me to love."  Oh! it's all coming back to me!  I remember the hours spent nightly on the imdb message board.  I remember how great it was to discover Chez Tremblay and how great it felt when I started learning your names and becoming integrated into the community.  I remember the exodus to BetterMost when imdb became hostile, the dedicated scramble to preserve our historic posts before they were gone.  I have the archive bookmarked although I haven't been there in awhile and my computer's busted (I'm using Nick's).  That would be a good way to celebrate the annniversay.  Anyone have that link?

I am so grateful that the cult of Brokeback is still here a year down the line.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2006, 12:37:05 pm »
One archive link comin' up, cowboy: http://www.geocities.com/bbmarchive/

Yeah, those were the days.  I had friends on LiveJournal that were Brokies from before the film opened, and I went to the film with three of them the day after it opened.  We saw it at 10 in the morning, and it was still sold out.  Afterwards, we ate brunch at the Rodeo Bar & Grill and didn't get out of there til around 5:00, we were gabbing so much.  I wonder if the ladies room still has the heart on the wall with Ennis Loves Jack written in it.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2006, 07:37:24 pm »
Now that I'm thiking about it, I remember my initial reaction to the movie more clearly.  I was one of the delayed reaction crowd.  Thought it was "good" when I was in the theatre after seeing it for the first time and then couldn't stop thinking about it for days on end.  I remember the feeling of withdrawl I would have if too many days went by that I didn't see it again.  I remember telling people that the reason I kept seeing it was that "it inspires me to love."  Oh! it's all coming back to me!  I remember the hours spent nightly on the imdb message board.  I remember how great it was to discover Chez Tremblay and how great it felt when I started learning your names and becoming integrated into the community.  I remember the exodus to BetterMost when imdb became hostile, the dedicated scramble to preserve our historic posts before they were gone.  I have the archive bookmarked although I haven't been there in awhile

I am so grateful that the cult of Brokeback is still here a year down the line.

Howdy Kirk -

What I quoted in your initial reaction paragraph is so similar to almost everything I experienced, I could have written it!  :laugh: Glad you’ll be goin to Alberta - me too!   :)

This thread actually got me to make a special trip to the library today to look at the San Francisco gay papers from a year ago so I could reconstruct my introduction to BBM with the correct dates!  So thank you all for this inspiration!  :-*

I first heard about BBM in a San Francisco gay paper, The San Francisco Bay Times, December 1, 2005 issue.  It had a full page story with a big photo – the one with Jack lyin on the grass and Ennis standin near him holdin his rifle pointed down towards the ground.  This article caught my attention.  I read it and it seemed like a movie that I wanted to see, even though I see very few movies. (While I was in the library, I made a copy of this article for my BBM collection, since this was my very first awareness of BBM.)  The next week I saw an ad for BBM in the other San Francisco gay paper, The Bay Area Reporter (BAR).  The ad had a note that there would be a special screening December 7 at the Embarcadero Theater in San Francisco and that passes would be given out Dec. 5 at 12 noon at the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Office on Castro Street.  I took an early lunch so I could get to the HRC at 11a.m. to wait on line so I would be sure to get a pass for two admissions.  I must have sensed already, without realizing it, that I HAD to see BBM!!   :laugh:  Unfortunately, not being a movie buff and not readin the small print, I did not realize that the pass did not guarantee admission to the screening. So when my partner, David, and I got to the Embarcadero Theater 15 minutes before the screening, we could not get in!  I was very upset and disappointed and felt foolish about not knowing that we should have gotten there much earlier.   >:( :'(   I still wanted to see BBM so I told David we should go to see it after it opened here December 9.

Meanwhile, one of his friends E-mailed David a link to the short story and he forwarded it to me, since he knew I wanted to see the movie.  I was debating whether I should read the short story before we saw the movie.  Since I often have trouble following movie plots and remembering characters, I decided to read it first. I know I read it on my pc December 17 – and cried and cried! Unfortunately I did not keep my  ticket stub, but fortunately I charged it and I just located my Visa statement showing that I first saw BBM the next day, December 18 at the Stonestown Theater in San Francisco!  :o I think this must have been the first time or close to the first time I ever charged a movie ticket instead of payin cash!  The next week I just HAD to see BBM again, so one day when David had other plans, I left work early to sneak off to a late afternoon matinee . . . and the rest is history!!  ;)
Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?