Author Topic: The BBM-painting my boyfriend made for me  (Read 18634 times)

Scott6373

Re: The BBM-painting my boyfriend made for me
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2007, 07:02:13 pm »
Melissa those are wonderfull...when can I buy one?   ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2007, 09:48:50 pm »
Also, have you looked at these pictures of Lightning Flat?

http://www.brokeback2007.com/photos/

"chewing gum and duct tape"

moremojo

« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2007, 09:51:38 pm »
Great site, Lee! I had seen some of those images before, but not in that format. The shots of Lightning Flat are wonderful, despite the eerie loneliness to the place.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2007, 12:59:00 am »
Melissa, your boyfriend's work-in-progress is just beautiful. It really reminds me of Andrew Wyeth (and come to think of it, Annie Proulx paints a bit like Wyeth as well, but in words rather than the brush).

Yes, I can see both those things too!

I have a not-exactly Andrew Wyeth story.  Years ago (late 70s?-early 80s?) I was standing in a record store waiting to pay for my purchases.  The man in front of me pulled out his credit card, and (without meaning to, honest!) I saw his name on the card "Jamie Wyeth."  "Oh, Wyeth," I blurted, "Any relation to Andrew Wyeth?"  He gave me what I thought was an unfriendly smile, and said simply, "Yes."

Several years later, I discovered, through reading, that he was a) Andrew Wyeth's son, and b) quite a famous painter himself.  I then re-interpreted that moment with him:  His irritation with me in retrospect seemed to be about "still in my father's god damned shadow..."

mvansand76

« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2007, 10:15:05 am »
Melissa, your boyfriend's work-in-progress is just beautiful. It really reminds me of Andrew Wyeth (and come to think of it, Annie Proulx paints a bit like Wyeth as well, but in words rather than the brush). At any rate, thank you for sharing, and let your boyfriend know how much he is appreciated here.

Thank you, I will tell him! I have seen some paintings of Wyeth on the internet, they are really amazing!

Melissa those are wonderfull...when can I buy one?   ;D

Thanks! I will ask him... ;)

Also, have you looked at these pictures of Lightning Flat?

http://www.brokeback2007.com/photos/

I saw most of the pictures of Lightning Flat, but not the ones from Brokeback and Devil's tower... Those snow scooters look like fun! Thanks for posting that link, Lee!

Yes, I can see both those things too!

I have a not-exactly Andrew Wyeth story.  Years ago (late 70s?-early 80s?) I was standing in a record store waiting to pay for my purchases.  The man in front of me pulled out his credit card, and (without meaning to, honest!) I saw his name on the card "Jamie Wyeth."  "Oh, Wyeth," I blurted, "Any relation to Andrew Wyeth?"  He gave me what I thought was an unfriendly smile, and said simply, "Yes."

Several years later, I discovered, through reading, that he was a) Andrew Wyeth's son, and b) quite a famous painter himself.  I then re-interpreted that moment with him:  His irritation with me in retrospect seemed to be about "still in my father's god damned shadow..."

Well, he could've been a bit more friendly about it! Does he paint in the same style as his father?

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2007, 02:33:06 pm »
I saw most of the pictures of Lightning Flat, but not the ones from Brokeback and Devil's tower...

Melissa, you've got to come to our May get-together in Colorado and Wyoming!  Please!  And bring your sweetie!  You will both come away with a decade's worth of inspiration!

mvansand76

« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2007, 03:25:43 pm »
Melissa, you've got to come to our May get-together in Colorado and Wyoming!  Please!  And bring your sweetie!  You will both come away with a decade's worth of inspiration!

We sooooo wished we could go! But we can't because of various reasons...  :(

The 'funny' thing is that even before I had heard of Brokeback we were planning on going to the Rockies for a hiking holiday, but then my boyfriend was hit by a car while cycling 1,5 years ago and his ankle broke into 8 pieces and he is still rehabilitating... so we wanna wait until he is completely finished rehabilitating! Also, there is the financial situation because we are still waiting for our lawyer to get his ass into gear and calculate damages for the person who hit him.  >:(

I am just hoping that something like this will also be organised next year as well! I have a feeling it will be!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2007, 04:23:40 pm »
Melissa, this is a beautiful painting your friend makes. Thank you for posting it.

If you or your boyfriend or anyone else is interested, here is a link to an essay I wrote about one of my visits to Lightning Flat. The painting made it all come back to me again.

http://brokeback2007.com/events/essay.html

Lee:
What a wonderful essay you wrote. I loved how you closed the circle in the last paragraphs. They were moving.

I've never read it before, so thanks for putting the link here. I think you should put up an own topic for this essay, so it won't be overlooked (or maybe you already did and I didn't see it?).
For all who haven't read the essay yet: I highly recommend it!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2007, 04:57:12 pm »
Melissa, this is a beautiful painting your friend makes. Thank you for posting it.

Lee:
What a wonderful essay you wrote. I loved how you closed the circle in the last paragraphs. They were moving.

I've never read it before, so thanks for putting the link here. I think you should put up an own topic for this essay, so it won't be overlooked (or maybe you already did and I didn't see it?).
For all who haven't read the essay yet: I highly recommend it!

Thanks, I'm so glad you liked it! I didn't post it here because it was a little present to EDelMar for taking me there, and he wanted it to reside on the BBQ site.

So looking forward to meeting you! I saw your picture among the Dutch play pics and couldn't stop smiling!! FRiend Lee
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2007, 03:33:47 am »
Jan-Willem's painting looks really good up there in the banner Melissa!

Thanks Phillip, Clarissa and John for doing this!  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.