Author Topic: A slightly older brother for BBM  (Read 5524 times)

Offline luigival

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
Re: A slightly older brother for BBM
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2006, 03:43:54 pm »
Thank you for your comments, Scott.
They were two friends of mine

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2006, 06:37:12 pm »
What about THE BIG EDEN.  It takes place in the a mythical utopia American West (present day) where everyone is gay friendly and tries to get the two guys together. THe scenary is great, it's filmed in Montana, and it's got a happy ending.  BBM is more a doppleganger of THE BIG EDEN as the situation is practically reversed.   

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0212815/

OF late, the director did THE FAMILY STONE.

Gael GarcĂ­a Bernal was quite good in the MOTORCYCLE DIARIES.  With someone that good  looking and  so gentle/lovable, there's got to be some homoerotic undertones. 

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2006, 07:03:14 pm »
Does anyone know anything about the new Sam Shepherd movie that's coming out? I thought it might be a good candidate to be my first post-BBM movie but I wasn't sure...his work is kindof uneven.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 10:44:24 pm »
Hi folks,
after getting the BBM virus, as I have pointed out in other posts, as a side desease I have become cinema-addicted as well, and very recently discovered another "gem of a film", which I subtly put on a close parallel with BBM.
It was released in 2004, and its English title is "The motorcycle diaries" (or "Diarios de motocicleta", as the original version spells), a FilmFour production directed by Walter Salles and starring Gael Garcia Bernal and Rodrigo de la Serna.
As many of you probably know, it's the story of the trip which saw young Ernesto (not yet "Che") Guevara and close friend Alberto Granado travel across South America on their Norton 500 (La Poderosa).
Yes, the story is quite different from BBM, so why should I put it closely on a parallel with BBM?

1. It's the story of a friendship destined to last all life: two souls sharing the same ideals, and fighting for them;

2. It's a trip of discovery: Ernesto and Alberto discover their Continent, and mature, just like Ennis and Jack discover their true feelings and a new world inside of them;

3. Photography and scenarios are very similar to BBM: the grandeur of the Andes and the magnificence of the Southern American landscapes compare to the great wilderness of Wyoming/Canada where BBM was filmed. There are scenes which actually could be interchanged between the two movies;

4. A great music score (for me music is the soul of any movie) written and performed by Gustavo Santaolalla, where you can already feel the BBM spirit which was going to blossom a few months later (though in "Diarios" it has obviously a more pronounced South American flavour);

5. It was made as an independent movie just like BBM;

6. All in all it's a very good and moving movie which will stay in your heart as well (though the BBM factor is unique and definitely unrepeatable).

Anybody has had my same feelings?

Luigi   

Me! Yes, I agree, friend. In fact, I put the entire soundtrack of Motorcycle Diaries on my ipod, renaming the songs according to my whims, such as "Four Long Years Apart," "Setting up camp" "I Ain't..." etc.
"chewing gum and duct tape"