Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2597463 times)

Scott6373

Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #1560 on: October 04, 2007, 10:22:19 am »
I know what you mean Scott, when we buried my sister, my mother wanted me to get up and read somethign she wrote from the pulpit. We filed in and I sat there looking at her picture on the alter and was terrified, how the hell was I going to do this? Well, I just did. Time came and I got up there and relaxed and it was the most natural thing in the world.

People just assume that singing is too emotional an expression for someone to do for a loved one's funeral.  I do have to admit, that at my brothers funeral, I questioned if I could or not.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #1561 on: October 04, 2007, 10:25:20 am »
Those are the hardest ones I think. And I think since Brokeback I am so much more emotional. I cry at the drop of a hat. Recently I was trying to tell someone about going to that Spiritualist Church and they asked if I were to go back and ask a direct question whoat would it be. I had to write it down because I couldn;t get it out.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Scott6373

« Reply #1562 on: October 04, 2007, 10:32:18 am »
Those are the hardest ones I think. And I think since Brokeback I am so much more emotional. I cry at the drop of a hat. Recently I was trying to tell someone about going to that Spiritualist Church and they asked if I were to go back and ask a direct question whoat would it be. I had to write it down because I couldn;t get it out.

Then I won't ask.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #1563 on: October 04, 2007, 10:34:45 am »
Well Jeff you had to do what you had to do at the time, I donlt thinks she would have wanted you all falling apart at her funeral, and the words were read. You still ave the song, you can sing it everyday and be connected to her.
And I am sure your father shared in the decision.

Thanks.

The decision was mine. Dad was a total wreck. I was the one who piped up and told the pastor just to read it. The gutless feeling comes in was because I just could not deal with my father's falling apart.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1564 on: October 04, 2007, 10:41:58 am »
You looked after your father and his best interests, that is not gutless at all. That is courageous.

moremojo

« Reply #1565 on: October 04, 2007, 11:16:01 am »
I thought it was bad enough to be compelled to act as pallbearer (I know that that's supposed to be an honor, but I've been asked to do it three times now, the first time for a great-aunt, next for for my paternal grandmother, and most recently for my aunt, and it's a burden, both physically and emotionally [sorry if that sounds unfeeling, but it's the truth]), but being asked to sing or recite a text at a loved one's funeral would be inestimably more difficult.

I intend to have a very simple funeral, having myself cremated and put into the ground with a minimum of ceremony, with formal dress and rites completely optional to those attending.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
« Reply #1566 on: October 04, 2007, 11:22:59 am »
My family asked me to speak at my Dad's funeral.  I'm not much of a public speaker, so I kept it brief.  It was very difficult, but I'm glad I did it.  I remember seeing my family in the first row rooting for me. 

I think I would have regrets if I had chosen not to.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1567 on: October 04, 2007, 11:25:54 am »
I intend to have a very simple funeral, having myself cremated and put into the ground with a minimum of ceremony, with formal dress and rites completely optional to those attending.

I want to be buried with no fanfare asap after I die, and later if folks want to have a memorial service they can do whatever they like.

Scott6373

« Reply #1568 on: October 04, 2007, 11:28:38 am »
Not me...I want the whole damn rigmarole...professional mourners...waling and gnashing of teeth...good food and booze of course...and...I wanna be there lookin' good.  New Wranglers, nice shirt, my black cowboy hat, eyes open, sitting up..making sure everyone is behaving... :laugh:

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1569 on: October 04, 2007, 11:30:01 am »
eyes open,

You had me until THAT part.   :laugh: