Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2580597 times)

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #190 on: August 28, 2006, 06:42:48 pm »
I could read your wonderful stories all day long!   
You are a great storyteller.

" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #191 on: August 28, 2006, 08:40:57 pm »
Its because me people were from Kerry. ;)
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #192 on: August 29, 2006, 02:53:23 pm »

Well that certainly explains "The gift of gab"... :laugh:

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #193 on: August 29, 2006, 03:40:07 pm »
Ain't that the truth. I knew you were Irish, and knew you would know Kerry people are the kind that follow you down the driveway as you are trying to leave, telling you one more thing. :laugh:

In 1996 I went to Eire and my friend Eileen asked me to carry her Auntie Eilo in Killarney several cartons of cigs. I carried them for days before we got to Killarney and I walked over to her house with the bags and knocked on her door and she opened it and looked at me and said: "You must be the one".

She went on to tell me this wild tale about her late sister having an affair with a priest. She said they were in Austria and were captured by the Nazi's and murdered. I was shocked. When I got home I asked Eileen about it and said "that's B.S.! they were run over by a trolley in Brooklyn!"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #194 on: August 29, 2006, 03:52:24 pm »
Last night we were down in the basement and noticed there was a cricket up in the globe of a floor lamp. We undid it and walked him outside and "freed" him to be with the other crickets.

I says: "Can you imagine the tale he is gone tell the other crickets?"

"All my life they promised me, go to the light and your going to have sex! Well, I went all the way to the light, I was there, you couldn't get any closer to the light than I was and there was no sex going on, there were no other crickets there, just a dead moth and some dust!"

And all the crickets in the neighborhood turned nihlistic and filled up on cheesecake.

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #195 on: August 29, 2006, 09:15:50 pm »
Ain't that the truth. I knew you were Irish, and knew you would know Kerry people are the kind that follow you down the driveway as you are trying to leave, telling you one more thing. :laugh:

In 1996 I went to Eire and my friend Eileen asked me to carry her Auntie Eilo in Killarney several cartons of cigs. I carried them for days before we got to Killarney and I walked over to her house with the bags and knocked on her door and she opened it and looked at me and said: "You must be the one".

She went on to tell me this wild tale about her late sister having an affair with a priest. She said they were in Austria and were captured by the Nazi's and murdered. I was shocked. When I got home I asked Eileen about it and said "that's B.S.! they were run over by a trolley in Brooklyn!"

Ain't that the truth. Some members of my family are like Auntie Ello .Oh the stories!  But not an ounce of truth to any of them. But damn good entertainment! It's easy to confuse them if you wait long enough and then ask them" what ever happened to..." 

My family is from Dublin and Kildare. For the most part I still have four times the amount of kin there than I do here. With a few scattered throughout England.

you have got to excuse my sterotyping ,but, Shakestheground sounds like an Indian name to me. I did picture you to be an American Indian. I must of watched Dances with Wolves to many times.

but please keep your wonderfully entertaining tales up. Even though I  live Irish,  i do believe yours to be true!

Geri

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #196 on: August 29, 2006, 09:23:07 pm »
I am just a small bit Indian, any tibal affiliation long lost from generations of denial. The closest I get to it are a great great great great grandmother from southern Pittsylvania County Virginia named Rachel Leonard. The tribe that lived here were the Saura. There is a native decended community nearby, in Goingstown. I don't consider myself to be native american, but I honor that part of me best. It in some ways becomes a place you can direct your pride when you can't exactly be "out".

We got us some stories, don't we?

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #197 on: August 30, 2006, 11:55:47 pm »
we sure do! :laugh:

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #198 on: August 31, 2006, 10:33:21 am »
Maybe I'll have some more stories when I get back. We are going to leave tonight to go to the beach for Labor Day, driving at night thru the eye of tropical depression Earnesto to emerge on the far side, hopefully radiant in the morning sun.

We both had been to this island were going to before as kids, the place was full of fishing shacks and junk cars, understand it has been cleaned up. Wher eis my metal detector? Hope everyone has a nice relaxing and long holliday weekend.

vkm91941

« Reply #199 on: August 31, 2006, 11:07:51 am »
Oh so this is where the Irish come to meet.  My family's from Clare, all wild green hills and windswept for miles.  My Dad is full of the blarney, why tell the truth if you can tell a tall tale instead, but we all know there's  a nugget of truth in there somewhere.