Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2526124 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Sandra Bernhardt
« Reply #370 on: November 30, 2006, 12:04:37 pm »
Now to cousin Sandra.

I was watching The Graham Norton Effect on Logo last night and she was the guest. She was being her usual loud, obnoxious self and Graham had one of his gag contests set up, one of the participants was a young man from continental Europe, Stefan, whose first launguage was not English, but plowed ahead with his bit.

Sandra Bernhardt lit in to him. Graham Norton said something like "Now Sandra, we like Europeans here" and she kept on and told Stefan "Fuck You". I was a ghast. The auidence turned, and the show, not live, was edited and concluded rather quickly.

I don't know when this took place, I don't know why Logo chose to broadcast it. It was one of the worst examples of Ugly Americanism I have had the misfortune to witness. I know Bernhardt largely from her apearances on Roseanne years ago and the ocassional appearance she makes here and there, but my god, is she always like this? That was shameful and uncalled for and a poor example of how to treat people. I'd like to grab her and shake her and ask her what the hell is wrong with her.  ???

My apologies to people everywhere who have had to put up with the arrogance of my countrypeople.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 12:13:13 pm by shakestheground »
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

• BetterMost Supporter!
Thank you, Mel.
« Reply #371 on: December 02, 2006, 02:32:20 pm »
Mel, you are a jewel, your posting of your questions about continuing with this set my mind in motion, all afternoon.

Why do I come here? I have never really participated in an online community before. My posts on the net have always been academic in nature, genealogical, work related. I like having a place I can come to and express my thoughts and ideas with people I feel are open enough to read them. There is nothing in my life that remains untainted by this experence with Brokeback Mountain, so naturally this is where I come.

For those of us of a certain age we have, some of us, laid the fabric of that story against the contours of our own lives and find fits like a fitted sheet on a single bed. We take from it the lessons and apply them in our lives, and in that way the story becomes more. It becomes a parable. It teaches us. It is not just a story, not just a tragedy, it is a lesson.

I like telling people moving to my town that we are blessed with a lot of characters, we just don't have a plot. Indeed, I marvel in these characters, their stories, how they interact with mine and always looking for that hook, that thing that will make it a story and not just a bunch of random observations.

When I lay the fabric of Annie Proulx's creation against my own life, I see that pair of duces and their seperate but unqueal lives, in toto. Ennis, standing before his creation, the shirts and the postcard, acknowledging closure: "Jack, I swear". I knew it the first time I saw it, this is all he will ever have. It took me a long time to understand what that ment. That closure is the hook that gives meaning to our lives. It makes a bunch of scenes a story.

I saw in mine the story line of my failed affair long ago and how to reach closure with it. I wasn't made whole, but I was, as my friend Rick puts it, Bettered. I was freed to go on to other things, had a little less weight off my shoulders. Every person I come out to now, that is a little less weight. Less space betwixt what I know and believe. Those little story lines, you got to tie them up, or you remain a prisoner of them.

That Annie Proulx is either brilliant, or devine.

I am still looking for meaning, and I check this board everyday for it, and other interesting stuff. We are all our characters, and we are writing our stories. Thank you for sharing your with me. 

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #372 on: December 03, 2006, 03:41:07 pm »
Things around my office always are crazy, the hollidays just bring a bit of flavor to it.

Last night we had the local Xmess parade. 140 floats, bands, fire trucks, tractors, horses, classic cars and the guys with the funny hats that have them teeny tiny cars zippin' around. We had been promised a ModelT to ride in, but that fell thru late in the week. The scramble was on to find a replacement and Friday afternoon I remembered an old friend of mine who has a 1970 Oldsmobile 442 convertible. I called her up and she said sure, it had been a long time since she had it in a parade. I was the hero for 10 minutes until we looked at the fine print on the paperwork from the parade committee: "There is only one Santa Claus in the parade, and he is at the end." The secretary had already left on an hour long drive to a costume store to get me a Santa Suit to wear.

Thankful for cell phones, we were able to contact her and confer. It was decided to get an elf and a grinch costume. It all managed to come together, the car arrived at 2, was decorated and in place at 5, and by 7 pm we were finally underway.

I have been in this parade many times before, driving the company moving van, last year shimmying out the back window of a pickup when the rain let up to wave at the miserable. This year was totally different. This year my identity was concealed and in its place was a beloved cartoon character. Those little kids were mesmerized. I would stroke my chin and roll my fingers at them and try to single out as many as I could. I loved being in character. Thru the eyes slits I also had the opportunity to look at the faces of the adults with them. It was totally different than if they were looking at me, these folks were smiling, remembering being a kid, and being happy for their kids. They had no idea inside was a guy thinking this is how it must feel to be a celeb.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 04:17:44 pm by shakestheground »

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #373 on: December 03, 2006, 04:47:13 pm »
You look good in green, Truman!  Thanks for the story.  That sounds like a hoot.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #374 on: December 03, 2006, 04:54:16 pm »
I *LOVE* the photo, Truman!  Excellent story!
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline wulfar360

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • myspace
« Reply #375 on: December 03, 2006, 06:46:47 pm »
awsome story truman !
Sometimes it all still feels like a mass of dots               
but
more and more these days
I feel like we're all connected
and it's beautiful   
and funny
and good.

Aaron Davis Latter Days

"Its better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are  not"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #376 on: December 04, 2006, 12:12:59 pm »
What happened to the weather, it was almost 8o degrees F on Friday and on Monday it is barely above freezing! S'arite, I feel like my heart has grown three sizes.

Offline wulfar360

• myspace
« Reply #377 on: December 04, 2006, 09:02:41 pm »
truman  your heart is so big to start with i dont think i t can get any bigger !
but
more and more these days
and it's beautiful   
and funny
and good.

Aaron Davis Latter Days

"Its better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are  not"

• BetterMost Supporter!
The Bricks Are Here!
« Reply #378 on: December 12, 2006, 04:30:05 pm »
This afternoon a small group from th elocal Realtors Association got to take a tour of the new Virginia Museum of Natural History. This is the museum I purchased a couple of memorial "paver bricks", one of which is for Ennis and Jack.

The director showed us where they will be planted and told us they have arrived and will be installed any day now. I am tickled, can't wait to see them, and have my picture made with them. Can't wait to see and hear peoples reaction.  :o

Offline wulfar360

• myspace
« Reply #379 on: December 12, 2006, 06:46:45 pm »
yay  truman
but
more and more these days
and it's beautiful   
and funny
and good.

Aaron Davis Latter Days