Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2596746 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #4140 on: March 17, 2008, 12:27:14 pm »
Don't forget Lee Merriwether:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #4141 on: March 17, 2008, 01:10:31 pm »
Don't forget Lee Merriwether:

Her, too. But Eartha Kitt was my favorite.

Miao. ...  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4142 on: March 17, 2008, 01:27:29 pm »
Everything about these dates is kind of weird. It definitely does not seem right that St. Patricks Day is on a Monday. People are talking about getting drunk today, but who gets drunk on a Monday. And if I did the rest of the week would be horrible, especially tomorrow. I guess if I were back in the days when I didn't worry about jobs it wouldn't matter as much. I think I just accidentally almost just said an Ennis line  :)

And then the first day of Spring is on Good Friday as well as my sister's birthday. Easter isn't supposed to come this early is it?

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #4143 on: March 17, 2008, 02:41:57 pm »
Lord I forgot about her. Lee Merriweather, I think she was Miss America in 1955.

As for who gets drunk on a monday.......I would but like you say the rest of the week would be shot!

Rich has some information on Easter being so early, maybe he'll post it here. This is the first time since the Titanic went down I think it has been this early.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4144 on: March 17, 2008, 02:45:45 pm »
And then the first day of Spring is on Good Friday as well as my sister's birthday. Easter isn't supposed to come this early is it?

OTOH, Easter and before that, Passover, have roots in extremely ancient celebrations of the spring equinox, so it does somehow seem sort of right to me that it actually should fall about the time of the equinox.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #4145 on: March 17, 2008, 02:54:20 pm »
Here ya go!!  ;D

Easter is early this year.  Easter is always the 1st Sunday after the
1st full moon after the Spring Equinox (which is March 20).  This dating of Easter is based on the lunar calendar that Hebrew people used to identify passover, which is why it moves around on our Roman calendar.

Based on the above information, Easter can actually be one day earlier (March 22)  that is rare.

Here's the interesting information.  This year is the earliest Easter any of us will ever see the rest of our lives!  And only the most elderly of our population have ever seen it this early (95 years old or above).  And none of us have ever, or will ever, see it a day earlier!  Here's the facts:

1) The next time Easter will be this early (March 23) will be the year
2228 (220 years from now).  The last time it was this early was 1913 (so if you're 95 or older, you are the only ones that were around for that!).

2) The next time it will be a day earlier, March 22, will be in the year 2285

(277 years from now).  The last time it was on March 22 was 1818.
So, no one alive today has or will ever see it any earlier than this year!

"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #4146 on: March 17, 2008, 03:03:08 pm »
Here ya go!!  ;D

Easter is early this year.  Easter is always the 1st Sunday after the
1st full moon after the Spring Equinox (which is March 20).  This dating of Easter is based on the lunar calendar that Hebrew people used to identify passover, which is why it moves around on our Roman calendar.

Based on the above information, Easter can actually be one day earlier (March 22)  that is rare.

Here's the interesting information.  This year is the earliest Easter any of us will ever see the rest of our lives!  And only the most elderly of our population have ever seen it this early (95 years old or above).  And none of us have ever, or will ever, see it a day earlier!  Here's the facts:

1) The next time Easter will be this early (March 23) will be the year
2228 (220 years from now).  The last time it was this early was 1913 (so if you're 95 or older, you are the only ones that were around for that!).

2) The next time it will be a day earlier, March 22, will be in the year 2285

(277 years from now).  The last time it was on March 22 was 1818.
So, no one alive today has or will ever see it any earlier than this year!

Those are some quite interesting facts Richard! Luckily I can say that I was not around 95 years ago to see Easter come this early. However, I do plan on being around 277 years from now so I guess I will see both events  ;D I will be quite old then. I can look back upon now and think about how young I was  :laugh:

Thanks for posting this. It really is interesting. I thought it must be coming very early this year.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4147 on: March 17, 2008, 03:08:15 pm »
Another reason to savor the season. I wonder if somewhere there is a 102 year old person who was told in 1912 this would be the last time Easter would be this early inly 2008? Who remembers it.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4148 on: March 17, 2008, 04:23:26 pm »
Hi from St. Patrick's Day in Dublin, Ireland, where the partying is going strong, Monday or no.  I will post some photos and more details in my blog a little later.  My partying is personally no longer going on at all due to a little jet lag, but what a cool place to be on St. Paddy's Day!

Really? Somebody told me once--or maybe I read it somewhere--that they made a bigger deal over St. Patrick's Day "over here," in New York and Savannah, than they did in Ireland. Maybe that wasn't true.  ???

Or maybe the Irish started making a bigger deal over it for all those American tourists who expected it. ....  ???

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4149 on: March 17, 2008, 06:02:51 pm »
I went to Ireland in 1996 and I remember at that time 1/2 the population was under 25, and at 10 am on a Monday I passed a bar and it was so full of kids you couldn't get in.

Are you sure they know its St. Patrick's Day?