Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2595610 times)

injest

Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #4530 on: July 08, 2008, 11:08:05 pm »
but Truman...if you only forgive people and never hold them accountable for their actions how will things ever change? It is anger and hate of injustice that brought us the Civil Rights Act, women's suffrage, what rights gays do have these days.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #4531 on: July 09, 2008, 08:09:11 am »
Well I guess that is the difference betwixt forgiving and forgetting. People should be accountable for their actions, and sometimes we have to hold them acountable when their actions have caused problems. All the screaming that was done against Women's Suffarage, it was for naught in the long run, but it did damage I am sure to people who had to listen to it. 
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

injest

« Reply #4532 on: July 09, 2008, 08:27:35 am »
Well I guess that is the difference betwixt forgiving and forgetting. People should be accountable for their actions, and sometimes we have to hold them acountable when their actions have caused problems. All the screaming that was done against Women's Suffarage, it was for naught in the long run, but it did damage I am sure to people who had to listen to it. 

well there is my problem....I find it hard to let go of the anger while holding onto the memory.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4533 on: July 09, 2008, 08:36:19 am »
Well try this: (like I am Oprah or something) Pick one situation and pratice the forgiveness and then turn your attention away from it to something better and don't put yourself in a position of remembering. Then when it comes around again just remember you have already frogiven that person or situation and be prepared for them/it.

An idea anyway.....

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #4534 on: July 09, 2008, 08:46:32 am »
well there is my problem....I find it hard to let go of the anger while holding onto the memory.
"First I would like to say I am mostly Irish and I voluntarily reinforce the stereotype that we can hold grudge unlike anyone else."

I like that Truman.

My mom always told me when I was little to forgive and forget.. The forgiving is not so hard, but the forgetting?! Not so easy.  She had flaming red hair and freckles.  The opitome of a good? Irish Protestant girl!  Now I know why i find easy to forgive, no problem right? But forgetting,  not so easy.  

Now I know thanks to you Truman that its in my blood.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4535 on: July 09, 2008, 08:58:50 am »
"First I would like to say I am mostly Irish and I voluntarily reinforce the stereotype that we can hold grudge unlike anyone else."

I like that Truman.

My mom always told me when I was little to forgive and forget.. The forgiving is not so hard, but the forgetting?! Not so easy.  She had flaming red hair and freckles.  The opitome of a good? Irish Protestant girl!  Now I know why i find easy to forgive, no problem right? But forgetting,  not so easy.  

Now I know thanks to you Truman that its in my blood.

Have you heard of Irish Altzimers'? It were you forget everything but your grudges.  ;)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #4536 on: July 09, 2008, 09:26:06 am »
but Truman...if you only forgive people and never hold them accountable for their actions how will things ever change? It is anger and hate of injustice that brought us the Civil Rights Act, women's suffrage, what rights gays do have these days.

I remember a quote, and I believe it goes "When you say 'I can forgive, but can never forget.' what you are saying is 'I can never forgive'."

I don't agree with that.

If someone does me harm in some way, I can forgive that person after time.  But forget?  Nope.  Those who forget their history are doomed to repeat it.  Jess is right.  People should be held accountable for their actions.

As far as Jesse Helms.....there are positive and negative aspects to every person.  And I'm sure that when everyone dies at their time, there are a number of mourners who miss them, and a few who will think "good riddance" or just perhaps crack a small smile.

I'm sure when my time comes, there will be a few people smiling.  I know I've pissed off my fair share of people.

I have no qualms admitting when I heard the news, I smiled.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #4537 on: July 09, 2008, 09:47:33 am »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4538 on: July 09, 2008, 07:24:58 pm »
I had a cousin in South Carolina whose wife once told a story about her father, I forget the story but I will never forget a line from her description of him: "He never forgave Jackie Kennedy for remarrying."

I couldn't wait to get on the phone and tell my sister that because I knew we would both howl, recognize it as one of the great absurdities of the world we came from. People, angry at someone they knew of but did not know, for a personal decision about her own life. Could not forgive her, I both understood where they were coming from and how absolutely fucked up a thing that was and I am sorry there is no other way to describe it.

People fall in love with celebrity, witness things in the media and come to think of them as a commodity. Case in point: the assertion by some people that Jake Gyllenhaal is secretly gay. Who cares? Gay, straight, the chances you will ever meet him, let alone get to know him or have sex with him does not even register.

Why is it that people put so much energy into the outcome of Brangelina's pregnancy when there are people living in the streets?

My mother though I will have to give the grand prize to.

While on a trip to Hawai'i in 2001 she payed nearly $400 for a silk dress she later claims to have burned because she saw Whoopi Goldberg wearing an identical on on TV.

Just as well Mamma, you obviously did deserve to own such a thing!  :laugh:

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4539 on: July 09, 2008, 07:36:31 pm »
I had a cousin in South Carolina whose wife once told a story about her father, I forget the story but I will never forget a line from her description of him: "He never forgave Jackie Kennedy for remarrying."

LOL.

I wonder if he ever forgave Jack for his "indiscretions" against Jackie?
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~