Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2595194 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #4570 on: July 14, 2008, 07:55:54 am »
Well, the calendar marker got excommunicated, not surprised.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080714/ap_on_re_us/shirtless_mormons

SALT LAKE CITY - The creator of a calendar that featured shirtless Mormon missionaries was excommunicated Sunday after a disciplinary meeting with local church leaders in Las Vegas.

Chad Hardy said he bears no ill will toward the council of elders from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

"I felt like I spoke my truth," the 31-year-old entertainment entrepreneur said. "Bottom-line, they still felt the calendar is inappropriate and not the image that the church wants to have."

"Men on a Mission," which has sold nearly 10,000 copies at $14.99 each, included pictures of 12 returned missionaries wearing black slacks, but not their trademark white shirts, in modest poses. The men also were photographed in traditional missionary garb and share their religious beliefs in biographical sketches.

Some of the 12 models have also been called to disciplinary meetings, but none were punished.

"I have no ill feelings toward any of those people," Hardy said of the church council. "They did what they believed was right and I really do feel it was the best decision for both of us."

Frank E. Davie, the senior leader over a group of Mormon congregations in the Las Vegas area, confirmed the 12-member council's decision in a telephone call to The Associated Press. He declined further comment.

Hardy said the purpose of the 2008 calendar was not to tear down the church or its 13 million members.

"The project is about stepping outside the stereotypes and stepping outside of the image," Hardy said. "Not everybody fits the image and I let them know we're not trying to portray an image for the entire church."

An excommunicated person is removed from official church rolls, but are still welcome at church services. Excommunicated members are prohibited from receiving the sacrament and can't perform church callings such as teaching or preaching during meetings. They also cannot enter church temples.

"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4571 on: July 14, 2008, 09:02:26 am »
 ;D

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #4572 on: July 15, 2008, 08:18:58 am »
Good morning, Big Brother!   ;D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4573 on: July 15, 2008, 08:21:31 am »
Hey Chuck, hope all is well with you.  ;)

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #4574 on: July 15, 2008, 09:01:17 am »
so far, so good!

Ya know, aside from Rich teasin' me in PMs!

:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4575 on: July 15, 2008, 10:08:45 am »
Well I think you started it!  :-*

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #4576 on: July 15, 2008, 10:51:03 am »

well......I think you're wrong!

:laugh:

*runs from Truman*

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #4577 on: July 15, 2008, 12:36:52 pm »

He did he did!
But I'm gonna finish it!  >:(
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4578 on: July 15, 2008, 12:54:22 pm »
Ya'll so funny.  ;D :-* :-*

• BetterMost Supporter!
I love Port Wine
« Reply #4579 on: July 15, 2008, 01:19:17 pm »

My first encounter with Port Wine was in the form of a Port Wine Stain on the forehead of the RA in my dorm the day I arrived at college. I had never seen such a thing before and tried to not look at it. The RA, who was family, was apparently used to it and made no indication I was staring. I think he saw something he liked anyway as he later took me to see both Rocky Horror and Tootsie.

My first encounter with Port Wine itself took place toward the end of my college career, when I took over an apartment from a friend who was an amazing pack rat and left about half his shit behind. Among his collection was a tiny bottle, airline size of Port. Had a Teeny-tiny little cork in it and was covered with dust. I was told by someone who may or may not have known what they were talking about that it was Portuguese wine and my stoner friend Mary, who always had the smile of a china doll on her face said she had drank some the summer before and liked it and I resisted her lobbying efforts to open it because it was not en ought for two people and I wanted to have my cake instead of eating it.

Then one day, months later, my dog, Sidartha Guitarma, was entertaining her sister, Norton, from across the street and in the process bumped the metal shelving unit the bottle sat on and it fell to the industrial grade vinyl tile floor and shattered. Gawd it stunk! In retrospect, I imagine the teeny-tiny cork had become dried out over the years, my theory being that it had probably spent some time in a hot car, and the contents had turnt to vinegar.

But I was not smart enough to figure that out for years. I just assumed Port was nasty and Mary was so  stoned she would drink most anything.

At no time in the ensuing 22 years did I encounter Port again. I heard about it, but I never was offered any, not heard anyone express an opinion about Port until last month. Paul and myself were sitting in a wonderful little restaurant in Provincetown, Devon's, having had a wonderful meal and the owner came out with two glasses of Tawney Port for us. It was like the Prodigal Wine had come home, hands on hips hollering "Hay! Remember me?".

I sniffed it and the aroma was not vinegar, but a dark, calm, sleepy one of grapes. I tasted it, OMG, Mary you were right! It was wonderful, down to the last drop. The perfect after dinner wine. The big glass it came it was like a humidore to accumulate the flavor so it could attack your nose before your palette. Ah!

When I got home I went to Food Lion and recovered a dusty assed bottle from the bottom self, $4.95! I have a glass in the evening when I pull the book out and sanctify the day. 

Thank kew Paul and Devon!