Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2590962 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #4640 on: July 23, 2008, 11:30:44 am »
Lawd I bet it is hot in Ravenden, was the Raven still out on the road? My friends Mamma has been out of work since the tornado blew away the Hallmark store.

Wanted to write a bit about the hang gliding experience. First of all, it is a lot of work!

We got to the hang gliding school by 11 am and filled out the many waivers required by both the school and the state park we were at and were told that there was a one hour presentation on dvd to watch, which we didn;t complain about because it was air conditioned and we were told that the heat out on the dune was excessive and if we decided we couldn't take it they would issue rain checks. Okay. it was about 93 def. F outside but on the sand of Jockeys Ridge the heat index was well over a hundred. The extremely well tanned young lads and lassies who were our instructors walked out either bare footed or with sox on. I could feel the heat thru my shoes! Te group of us schlepped out onto the sand with our water, harness and helmet, and once we reached the crest of the ridge the breeze cooled us down and it was tolerable. What wasn't tolerable was my screaming shin splints. They were throbbing like hell.

I watched a couple of people go before me and it looked okay, the hill was not real high and they were not getting very high, so when my turn came I was calm about it, got strapped in and then picked the thing up off the ground and crab waled with it sideways to the jump off point. That was some effort, that and holding it steady in the wind. I was straining. My instructor, Nicole, told me to fix my attention on a point on the horizon, the last house on the right, and then yell "clear" and then walk, jog and then run with it, she ran along with me and told me when to pick my feel up and fly.

Of the four times I went (could have gone five if I had the energy) the first time was the best, I kept my focus on that house but had the sense Nicole was somewhere down lower than me and I was sailing thru the air. I reached the bottom and then flared out like she told me, but never could land on my feet. On subsequent flights crosswinds knocked me for a loop and I crashed, getting sand all up in my helmet and inside my glasses and Nicole and another instructor had to come hold the kite down before it flipped over with me in it.

I was told I could give my 5th flight away to some one but no one wanted it, they were all as exhausted as me. The park service rangers had come around with water to refill our bottles and I am glad the did. We were out there for about 1.5 hours and I drank nearly a liter. The experience was tremendous, but exhausting, I would like to try it again when it was not so hot and I might have more of a sense of how it is to actually fly!  :laugh:

And I'll be back, this is something I would like to pursue in some form. 

"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Wayne

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4641 on: July 23, 2008, 11:33:29 am »
since the tornado blew away the Hallmark store.
:-\   Laws I bet that was a mess.
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #4642 on: July 23, 2008, 11:36:23 am »
 :D  Sounds wonderful Truman! Thx for giving us a birds eye view of your time in the air ....   ;D
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #4643 on: July 23, 2008, 08:32:11 pm »
cool story, buddy!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #4644 on: July 25, 2008, 10:40:21 pm »
Hi Tru, I got a new camera....and just wanted to send this greeting from Australia

http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/suekat777/?action=view&current=IMGP0106.flv
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #4645 on: July 27, 2008, 11:26:11 am »
I'm gonna keep watching Tru's blog.  I know big brother's gonna write about his trip!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4646 on: July 27, 2008, 07:41:23 pm »
Well I will give it a shot. It was a good time and I enjoyed it, read a little in my book, got to mark hang gliding off my list, ate some seafood, spent some time in the water, got a good tan, didn't burn too much.

I first went to the outerbanks when I was 7 and it was a very sparsely populated place, the biggest thing going was the Wright Brothers Memorial. Now, OMG, it is nothing but sprawl. Eveywhere you look McMansions have gone up everywhere. Strip malls with Abercrombie & Fitch, Tommy Hilgifer, Kmart, and Wings, which is a coastal chain crap store selling all kinds of cheap plastic shit and crap nobody needs, there is one about every 500 yards. The place is over run with yuppies and their children. In most cases I could not understand why they had had children because the only time they didn't ignore their constant whining was to criticize them for their constant whining. Endless displays of crass consumerism, like the Escalade stretch limo that pulled up in front of a restaurant one night. I waited to see who was going to get out. It was your average family of 5, parents, and in law and two kids. Waddling in to strap on the feed bucket. That place is trying to be so much like Myrtle Beach it is pathetic.

South of Nags Head is Pea Island, several miles of National park that cannot be developed. It is wonderful. People speed thru on their way to someplace else. You can park on the side of the road and walk several hundred yards thru the brush to an unspoiled (except for the occasional ship wreck) and unpopulated beach. Just south of there you have the town of Rodanthe. The first house you come to when you enter the town is now abandoned because it is in the ocean. All about town are signs screaming about portions of beaches being closed so that turtles and gulls can nest. Imagine, the rights of these people to access the ocean from the front door of their McMansion impeded because of some animal. I found it rather sickening.

I did climb the Hatteras Light House, which I had done once before in its old location. It had to be moved about a quarter of a mile because the ocean was getting too close. Not a bad climb, and they limit the number of people in which helps, otherwise it would be quite claustrophobic.  Had a nice view of the woods below that were planted by the CCCs in the 1930 that changed the whole ecology of the island. The park service is now letting nature take it course and the hurricanes are taking care of most of them.

The last day I went north to Corolla to the brick light house there. It is one of the more recent communities to become gentrified and still has some of its local charm. Should be gone by next year. The young girl selling tickets was one of the nuttiest creatures I have come across in a while. "Could I just get you to stand along this wall until it is your time to go up?" in her best faux valley girl voice. As soon as the assembled did, "Okay! You can go up now!"

The view from there was quite different. The island is much narrower and the sprawl much more evident. A family from western North Carolina was gingerly navigating the walkway around the light and the eldest child, about 5, said to his father "Daidy! Ha' they gone change 'at light bulb?" I didn't hear Daidy answer, he was too busy worrying about the other child squeezing thru the bars.

Returning to earth I witnessed a polished and manicured woman sitting in a high directors chair outside the entrance screamed across the court yard at a man who had failed to put up his bike into the bike rack. She was some kind of employee/volunteer, what ever they were paying her was too much.

But what I did enjoy, was the evenings, when the crowds had left the beaches, left behind their sand castles and the sky would turn crimson with the setting sun behind me. Ghost crabs would come out of their holes and run about. Plovers would arch their backs and fight one another for territory to probe for tiny clams. Pelicans would skim the waves in formation and occasionally dive straight down from great heights. The wind would blow in off the ocean and the stars would come out and in time the moon, huge and orange, would emerge from the water too. It would leave a path of light on the water like a runway, like a highway back to someplace else. A boat on thehorizon would turn on its lights and the fishing piers to the north and the south would have competing fire works. The rest could be tolerated. This was the beautiful twilight, a lonely time. I have come to value the feeling.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #4647 on: July 27, 2008, 08:12:26 pm »
beautiful pics, beautiful story.  worth the wait.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4648 on: July 27, 2008, 08:14:56 pm »
Hi Tru, I got a new camera....and just wanted to send this greeting from Australia

http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/suekat777/?action=view&current=IMGP0106.flv

Katie Sue! That is so wonderful hearing your voice and seeing you move around. I am going to have to do the same and post it here. You sound exactly like I thought you would.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #4649 on: July 28, 2008, 06:45:52 pm »
 :)   Enjoyed your story and the pix True man!    :)

Don