Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2581312 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #4860 on: September 10, 2008, 07:00:55 pm »
Over here in Oz, we have Hungry Jacks, and we have a few Burger Kings.  They seem to be one and the same place, same menus and appearance of their restaurants.

Hungry Jack's decor, has a wurlitzer juke box, and a 50's type atmosphere, usually with pictures on the wall of Elvis or other pop stars.

Our nickname for McDonalds, is Maccas......Im not that keen on their hamburgers, but I do like their breakfast menu. My grandkids love going there, but I think the food is secondry to playing on the playground equipment.

I dont know if they are doing the same thing over there as they are here, but here now, they dont make the hamburger until it is ordered, where before they used to have them all prepared and boxed or wrapped waiting to be just picked up and put in the bag or on the tray. I've peeked into the kitchen, and seen that they have all the eggs, patties, bacon, and whatever else they put on their "sesamee seed rolls", in trays, so when it is ordered, they just open the roll, and proceed to fill the roll from the trays.  In busy times, there is sometimes quite a wait, and people are non too happy about having to wait five minutes for "fast food".  I dont know if this is just an Aussie health regulation or whether it is universal.

The other thing that pissees me at our local Maccas, is that the drive thru customers seem to get served a lot quicker than those of us standing in line.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

injest

« Reply #4861 on: September 10, 2008, 07:05:43 pm »
Over here in Oz, we have Hungry Jacks, and we have a few Burger Kings.  They seem to be one and the same place, same menus and appearance of their restaurants.

Hungry Jack's decor, has a wurlitzer juke box, and a 50's type atmosphere, usually with pictures on the wall of Elvis or other pop stars.

Our nickname for McDonalds, is Maccas......Im not that keen on their hamburgers, but I do like their breakfast menu. My grandkids love going there, but I think the food is secondry to playing on the playground equipment.

I dont know if they are doing the same thing over there as they are here, but here now, they dont make the hamburger until it is ordered, where before they used to have them all prepared and boxed or wrapped waiting to be just picked up and put in the bag or on the tray. I've peeked into the kitchen, and seen that they have all the eggs, patties, bacon, and whatever else they put on their "sesamee seed rolls", in trays, so when it is ordered, they just open the roll, and proceed to fill the roll from the trays.  In busy times, there is sometimes quite a wait, and people are non too happy about having to wait five minutes for "fast food".  I dont know if this is just an Aussie health regulation or whether it is universal.

The other thing that pissees me at our local Maccas, is that the drive thru customers seem to get served a lot quicker than those of us standing in line.

I went into a fast food place and over on the wall (in view of the customers but in the kitchen) there was a sign "Serve drive thru first"

>:( >:( >:(

to me you are more likely to spend more money if you come in....why would they prefer the drivethru?

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #4862 on: September 10, 2008, 07:19:18 pm »
I went into a fast food place and over on the wall (in view of the customers but in the kitchen) there was a sign "Serve drive thru first"

>:( >:( >:(

to me you are more likely to spend more money if you come in....why would they prefer the drivethru?

I agree Jess, If I order thru drive thru, even sometimes if i think of something else, I think, "oh I wont bother, it will only stuff them around"...but when Im in line, I change my mind all the time, and end up ordering more than I intended to.

Maybe thats it, keep the ones waiting in line, getting hungrier as they smell the food, and they WILL order more.....

Also, I guess if people go thru the drive thru, then that is one less table that needs to be cleaned, and one less lot of litter to be taken care of, so costing wise, a drive thru sale is more profitable than a walk in sale.

Pisses me off though, if Ive bought thru the drive thru, and get up the road somewhere to eat it, and they have forgotten a spoon, or a stirrer for my coffee, or forgotten the sugar or salt and pepper.  I remember a couple of years ago, I was on a diet, and I went to Hungry Jacks drive thru and bought a salad. I was working in the pet shop at the time, so drove back to the shop, really hungry, and looking forward to my salad, only to discover that they had forgotten to put in some plastic knives and forks.  To make matters worse, the only fork we had at the shop,was one that we used to get the dog food out of the cans, when we fed the dogs.........I was absolutely furious, and rang the manager of the Hungry Jacks, to let them know how angry I was. The fact that they didn't seem too concerned about my plight, only made me more furious. I then proceeded to eat my salad with my fingers, gumbling and mumbling about what a shit hole of a Hungry Jacks we had in town.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

injest

« Reply #4863 on: September 10, 2008, 07:58:35 pm »
I agree Jess, If I order thru drive thru, even sometimes if i think of something else, I think, "oh I wont bother, it will only stuff them around"...but when Im in line, I change my mind all the time, and end up ordering more than I intended to.

Maybe thats it, keep the ones waiting in line, getting hungrier as they smell the food, and they WILL order more.....

Also, I guess if people go thru the drive thru, then that is one less table that needs to be cleaned, and one less lot of litter to be taken care of, so costing wise, a drive thru sale is more profitable than a walk in sale.

Pisses me off though, if Ive bought thru the drive thru, and get up the road somewhere to eat it, and they have forgotten a spoon, or a stirrer for my coffee, or forgotten the sugar or salt and pepper.  I remember a couple of years ago, I was on a diet, and I went to Hungry Jacks drive thru and bought a salad. I was working in the pet shop at the time, so drove back to the shop, really hungry, and looking forward to my salad, only to discover that they had forgotten to put in some plastic knives and forks.  To make matters worse, the only fork we had at the shop,was one that we used to get the dog food out of the cans, when we fed the dogs.........I was absolutely furious, and rang the manager of the Hungry Jacks, to let them know how angry I was. The fact that they didn't seem too concerned about my plight, only made me more furious. I then proceeded to eat my salad with my fingers, gumbling and mumbling about what a shit hole of a Hungry Jacks we had in town.

LOL!!! I always unwrap my food before I leave...I have been burnt too many times!!

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #4864 on: September 11, 2008, 08:55:55 am »
It was absolutely the most beautiful day there had been all year. The sky was clear and blue, the air was clean, the temp was warm but the humidity was low. I was listening to NPR about the time it started, it had not reached the media yet. A woman from Texas who was no fan of Bush, was giving a rundown of his first 9 months in office using many of the gaffes and misspeaks attributed to him.

I went by the credit union and told the teller people would be having emergencies all day long because it was 9/11. I then went up the hill to the Bank where we were having an office meeting. I met one of the agents in the office, she was in a good mood because she had heard from her daughter who lived in NYC and told me how much it meant for a parent her age to hear from a child.

In the meeting room another agent told how his father had been lost at sea before he was born and he never met him. It was his son who came running in late and after the women all stopped their carrying on that he had to put $5 in the jar for being late he got out the news: He had been watching the Today show on NBC and there had been a report of a plane hitting the World Trade Center.

Immediately I thought "All those people are dead, all of them on the plane, many more in the building." He went on and told how they were showing it on TV when all of a sudden another plane hit the other building. It didn't take long to compute, it was intentional. Suddenly it was all different.

The woman whose daughter had called whipped out her phone. I think she got an "Yes mother, I am fine" she worked in another part of town. Another agent who grew up in the NYC area when out in the hall and soon we heard her crying. The brokers announced the meeting was over. We filed out and tried to ascertain what was wrong. Her brother in law, the husband of her husbands sister, his office was on the 108th floor. Unless he had gone down to the lobby for donuts, he would have been at his desk.

Unable to drive, Myself and and still another agent helped her get home, me following in my car, calling my mother to make sure she knew, calling my brother in law to make sure none of his kids were travelling that day.

When we arrived at her house, and stepped in the foyer, we could hear her husband screaming. We ran down the hall, down the stairs to their den and there on the big screen was the Pentagon, on fire. Just across the Potomac river from the capitol, suddenly the attack had taken on huge new proportions. It was not isolated, it was still on going, and no idea what would happen next. The husband said to me someone was getting "ready to have their balls handed to them". It was the first time of many I would hear things like that said over the coming years.

I went home and watched CNN the rest of the day. They never found a trace of the brother in law from the 108th floor. 

"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #4865 on: September 11, 2008, 05:21:21 pm »
It was absolutely the most beautiful day there had been all year. The sky was clear and blue, the air was clean, the temp was warm but the humidity was low. I was listening to NPR about the time it started, it had not reached the media yet. A woman from Texas who was no fan of Bush, was giving a rundown of his first 9 months in office using many of the gaffes and misspeaks attributed to him.

I went by the credit union and told the teller people would be having emergencies all day long because it was 9/11. I then went up the hill to the Bank where we were having an office meeting. I met one of the agents in the office, she was in a good mood because she had heard from her daughter who lived in NYC and told me how much it meant for a parent her age to hear from a child.

In the meeting room another agent told how his father had been lost at sea before he was born and he never met him. It was his son who came running in late and after the women all stopped their carrying on that he had to put $5 in the jar for being late he got out the news: He had been watching the Today show on NBC and there had been a report of a plane hitting the World Trade Center.

Immediately I thought "All those people are dead, all of them on the plane, many more in the building." He went on and told how they were showing it on TV when all of a sudden another plane hit the other building. It didn't take long to compute, it was intentional. Suddenly it was all different.

The woman whose daughter had called whipped out her phone. I think she got an "Yes mother, I am fine" she worked in another part of town. Another agent who grew up in the NYC area when out in the hall and soon we heard her crying. The brokers announced the meeting was over. We filed out and tried to ascertain what was wrong. Her brother in law, the husband of her husbands sister, his office was on the 108th floor. Unless he had gone down to the lobby for donuts, he would have been at his desk.

Unable to drive, Myself and and still another agent helped her get home, me following in my car, calling my mother to make sure she knew, calling my brother in law to make sure none of his kids were travelling that day.

When we arrived at her house, and stepped in the foyer, we could hear her husband screaming. We ran down the hall, down the stairs to their den and there on the big screen was the Pentagon, on fire. Just across the Potomac river from the capitol, suddenly the attack had taken on huge new proportions. It was not isolated, it was still on going, and no idea what would happen next. The husband said to me someone was getting "ready to have their balls handed to them". It was the first time of many I would hear things like that said over the coming years.

I went home and watched CNN the rest of the day. They never found a trace of the brother in law from the 108th floor. 

:'(

(You write so well Tru)
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #4866 on: September 11, 2008, 06:15:07 pm »

That brings it all back to us Truman...It was one of the most devastating times of my life.  I am sure it was for all Americans.  We arent over it yet............ :'( :'( :'(

Beautiful mind

injest

« Reply #4867 on: September 11, 2008, 06:43:09 pm »
I heard one of the talk show guys today (I Know) and he said that people have three different attitudes.

one is a September 10th attitude: that everything is ok and the world is fine and nothing like that will ever happen again.

a September 11th attitude: that we are under threat and need to be very afraid.

or a September 12th attitude: that we are determined to live our lives to the best of our abilities and try hard to be the very best friend, lover, parent, child we can be. To never be complacent again because you never know.

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #4868 on: September 11, 2008, 07:13:13 pm »
To never be complacent again because you never know.

I think most people have forgotten this part.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

injest

« Reply #4869 on: September 11, 2008, 07:16:30 pm »
Truman, when you are feeling down, here is a site that might make you smile now and again. I think you will like it.

This is part of today's entry

As someone who grew up in a residential area on a golf course and lived for years in big, exciting Los Angeles, I especially cherish these reminders that exist around me now—reminders that there was once a time in America when slick feed trucks and prefab steel barns weren’t all the rage, when mega houses and SUV’s weren’t seen on every street…and when decency, resourcefulness, hard work, and kindness were the measure of a person’s success.

But then, the wide-eyed optimist in me knows that we still live in that place. We just have to remind one another every once in awhile.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/confessions/