Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2528674 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #5800 on: August 13, 2020, 06:39:17 pm »
When Chuck suggested this homecoming earlier this week, I began looking forward to it. Began composing in my mind.

Facebook supplanted Bettermost for me, but only on a cheaper level. So many of the same faces there, I partition these people as Brokies and Non Brokies. And there are the fan pages for Brokeback Mountain, with all new people, the next generation. I am to the point I don't care to post much there either, unless it is something funny. I tire of the politics, even the side I agree with. How much energy can you devote to disparaging someone who needs no help from you to do so himself?

I left real estate at the end of 2018. I gave it 19 years but it was not worth making it an even 20.

For a while I flew by the seat of my pants, doing this or that odd job, then in the spring a friend gave me a day a week at her restaurant running the cash register and making fancy coffee, which I totally sucked at. It put me in the right place for another friend to come walking in one day and offer me a job working for her at a local retirement community. "Driving Miss Daisy" I tell people. I began taking them to their hair appointments, picking up their prescriptions, hearing their stories and such. Gradually I began to get back on my feet a bit.

Then 2020.

In January my sister was in South Africa and I was talking to her on the phone before she left. I wanted to make sure she had heard about this virus in China. We had often discussed how airlines can spread them quickly. She said she would wear her scarf over her face.

By March she was cancelling a trip for the following month to a destination she has wanted to visit since before I was born. I had a train trip too and was determined I was still going to go. I finally didn't. If I had held out a couple more days I would have lost all the money I had spent on it.

March 13, I got the call from work. They were locking down and I was basically without work as the residents I drove would now not be allowed to go out except for doctors appointments and most of the doctors offices were closing down. Then the other nursing home called, the one my mother lives in. They would be doing the same. After that afternoon there would be no more visitation until further notice. We thought maybe 2 weeks, that was the quarantine period. I loaded her up with snacks and sat with her for about an hour. It was like saying goodbye to someone on death row.

And then everything slowed the hell down.

My days were spent at home and I resolved to use the time constructive and began an epic house cleaning. It lead to reorganizing everything, decluttering, throwing away. I got rid of 1/3 of my stuff. I also began to watch my budget and cash flow and that lead to what I was eating and I began to eat better and take long walks. At the beginning of March I weighed 244 lbs. Slowly, very slowly, a half a pound at a time I began to loose it. As of this morning I weigh 197 lbs.

And for maybe the first time in my life I really enjoyed my days. It was like I had permission to stay at home and not work. I would wake up in the morning and wonder what needed to be done and I would smile to myself and think: Anything I want.

Of course, there was plenty I could not do, like travel, see many people, going to the grocery store was an existential nightmare. It was however spring, and I was spending a lot of time chopping and cutting and pruning and taking care of all the stuff around the house I had neglected for years.

By May, it changed again. I was needed back at work some, which was welcome and today in addition to a limited transportation scheduled I also man the guard house in the afternoons, taking temperatures of people as the come in. Getting them to fill out the forms. In a few weeks I will have been there a year.

My mother turned 98 last month. My cousin organized a parade of family and friend and the facility allowed her outside to watch it. I get to go with her to doctors appointments because she can hardly hear and needs an advocate. She has suffered from the isolation. She calls me several times a day, complaining about everything under the sun. I am on a first name basis with the social worker. I go to see her a few times a week thru the locked automatic front doors. I write on a pad and she reads it and answers me.

It is a weird world. I hope the Queen is right, that we will be together again but I don't hold my breath. I  anally watch every penny and pound and try to keep myself in the best position possible. Consume too much Vitamin C and keep my distance. I have known people who have had the virus and recovered. I have known people who  have died suddenly and there is a loud absence of any comment as to what happened. It is a lot like the late 80s and early 90s as HIV made its way around and about.

I spend too much time in my head. I have come to the conclusion that that saying "That which does not kill you, makes you strong" is not the truth of my experience. I have come to believe the things that do not kill you in fact, infects your soul and has the cumulative effect of achieving its intent in the long run. But we have happiness too. It should be pursued every day because it has the power to heal somewhat and to sustain somewhat. 

Remember Annie Proulx's birthday is August 22!
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #5801 on: August 13, 2020, 07:03:58 pm »
Wow, Tru, that’s an amazing amount of weight to lose. Well done you.

Yes, COVID has certainly allowed time to think, it sounds like for the most part that’s been a good thing for you.

I love that you are driving miss daisy... I’m sure all the old ladies love you and we’re happy to see you return! :)
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #5802 on: August 13, 2020, 11:31:14 pm »
When Chuck suggested this homecoming earlier this week, I began looking forward to it. Began composing in my mind.

Truman!  :)  I'm glad you joined us for Throwback Thursday.

Facebook supplanted Bettermost for me, but only on a cheaper level. So many of the same faces there, I partition these people as Brokies and Non Brokies. And there are the fan pages for Brokeback Mountain, with all new people, the next generation. I am to the point I don't care to post much there either, unless it is something funny. I tire of the politics, even the side I agree with. How much energy can you devote to disparaging someone who needs no help from you to do so himself?

I'm sure there are many of us who agree with you.   It's gotten to the point that I don't even bother to answer the political posts anymore.  I also have my friends put into lists, it's easier for me to keep track of everyone's posts.  I have about 15 or so people in each list, and I have 10 Brokie lists.  I have a list I made up of family and friends who are all major Trumpers, and I moved them all to a list called "God Give Me Strength".  I only open it up when I really feel the need to see what they're up to.  It isn't often.

I left real estate at the end of 2018. I gave it 19 years but it was not worth making it an even 20.

Good for you!!!  I don't know many people who would leave a career of 20 years, that takes courage!

For a while I flew by the seat of my pants, doing this or that odd job, then in the spring a friend gave me a day a week at her restaurant running the cash register and making fancy coffee, which I totally sucked at. It put me in the right place for another friend to come walking in one day and offer me a job working for her at a local retirement community. "Driving Miss Daisy" I tell people. I began taking them to their hair appointments, picking up their prescriptions, hearing their stories and such. Gradually I began to get back on my feet a bit.

I'm not sure I would ever be able to make coffee.   I don't drink it, so I couldn't begin to judge how to make a fancy cup of coffee.  Working for the local retirement community sounds much more rewarding.

Then 2020.

Yeah, that year smacked everyone in the face.

In January my sister was in South Africa and I was talking to her on the phone before she left. I wanted to make sure she had heard about this virus in China. We had often discussed how airlines can spread them quickly. She said she would wear her scarf over her face.

Wow, I'm glad that your sister was able to get home before things got really bad over here.  I had a friend from the bowling league who was on  vacation just as the quarantines and isolation started.  He boarded a plane to come home, and took a selfie on the plane, he was the only one on.

By March she was cancelling a trip for the following month to a destination she has wanted to visit since before I was born. I had a train trip too and was determined I was still going to go. I finally didn't. If I had held out a couple more days I would have lost all the money I had spent on it.

Glad to hear you canceled the trip.  We were talking just tonight on UBF about travel plans, and that we didn't think that any travel will really go back into force until 2021 sometime.  Even at that time, we're not sure what 'normal' will look like at that point.

March 13, I got the call from work. They were locking down and I was basically without work as the residents I drove would now not be allowed to go out except for doctors appointments and most of the doctors offices were closing down. Then the other nursing home called, the one my mother lives in. They would be doing the same. After that afternoon there would be no more visitation until further notice. We thought maybe 2 weeks, that was the quarantine period. I loaded her up with snacks and sat with her for about an hour. It was like saying goodbye to someone on death row.

Oh, I can't imagine what it was like to talk to your mom under those circumstances.  Thankfully, both of my parents still live at home.  they also both work in the school system, so they have been home on unemployment since March.  They're still in a good place because my dad gets a pension from his job, and my mom  gets one from his job as well, so they aren't in dire straits.

And then everything slowed the hell down.

That's one way to put it!

My days were spent at home and I resolved to use the time constructive and began an epic house cleaning. It lead to reorganizing everything, decluttering, throwing away. I got rid of 1/3 of my stuff. I also began to watch my budget and cash flow and that lead to what I was eating and I began to eat better and take long walks. At the beginning of March I weighed 244 lbs. Slowly, very slowly, a half a pound at a time I began to loose it. As of this morning I weigh 197 lbs.

Congrats on the weight loss!   I've been working on that as well.  Haven't been as successful as you, but it has been dropping off.  I've also been decluttering my place, and getting cleaning done.  I've taken down my blinds and washed all the dust off them, moved all the furniture and cleaned and dusted behind and under it.  Gave the bathroom a full scrubbing too.

I've also had a few "social distance" meeting with friends.  Each time I met with someone, it was outdoors in an area where we could be 6 feet or more apart.

And for maybe the first time in my life I really enjoyed my days. It was like I had permission to stay at home and not work. I would wake up in the morning and wonder what needed to be done and I would smile to myself and think: Anything I want.

That was a good description.  I'm glad you were able to find the positives about the situation.

Of course, there was plenty I could not do, like travel, see many people, going to the grocery store was an existential nightmare. It was however spring, and I was spending a lot of time chopping and cutting and pruning and taking care of all the stuff around the house I had neglected for years.

When it came to me getting groceries, I had been using "shop from home" for a while, so I only needed to go to the store to pick the groceries up, I didn't have to go into the store and shop.  Of course, I still had to disinfect everything once I got it home.

By May, it changed again. I was needed back at work some, which was welcome and today in addition to a limited transportation scheduled I also man the guard house in the afternoons, taking temperatures of people as the come in. Getting them to fill out the forms. In a few weeks I will have been there a year.

I'm glad you're able to go back to work, and congrats to a year on the job.

My mother turned 98 last month. My cousin organized a parade of family and friend and the facility allowed her outside to watch it. I get to go with her to doctors appointments because she can hardly hear and needs an advocate. She has suffered from the isolation. She calls me several times a day, complaining about everything under the sun. I am on a first name basis with the social worker. I go to see her a few times a week thru the locked automatic front doors. I write on a pad and she reads it and answers me.

98!  What a great, long life!   I hope my parents are able to do the same!  Dad turned 80 last year, and I turned 50, we had a double birthday party.

It is a weird world. I hope the Queen is right, that we will be together again but I don't hold my breath. I  anally watch every penny and pound and try to keep myself in the best position possible. Consume too much Vitamin C and keep my distance. I have known people who have had the virus and recovered. I have known people who  have died suddenly and there is a loud absence of any comment as to what happened. It is a lot like the late 80s and early 90s as HIV made its way around and about.

I've seen many stories that compare Covid-19 to HIV.  I know a few people who were sick with the virus, but they've recovered.  However, much like you, I know a few people who died, but no official cause was ever given, so people are left wondering what happened.

I spend too much time in my head. I have come to the conclusion that that saying "That which does not kill you, makes you strong" is not the truth of my experience. I have come to believe the things that do not kill you in fact, infects your soul and has the cumulative effect of achieving its intent in the long run. But we have happiness too. It should be pursued every day because it has the power to heal somewhat and to sustain somewhat.

I love how you ended this entry.  As difficult as it can be, we have to try and find the happiness.  I'm not saying be a Pollyana, just don't wallow in all the awful things that are going on now.  Work to find the happiness, it will improve your mood.

Remember Annie Proulx's birthday is August 22!

and on August 19th, it's Gustavo Santaolalla's

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #5803 on: August 14, 2020, 10:45:22 pm »
Good to see you, Truman.  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.