• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
Re: Roots
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 12:59:21 am »
bump

I'm sure I'll get over it, someday.

Maybe.
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2006, 06:15:28 am »
I've started reading this and I have to say that it is wonderful. I'm not so worried by the inevitable ending now - but facinated to see the journey the characters take.

The writing is wonderfully evocotive, and the description very rich.

Unfortunately, I'm far from eloquent, but I'll try to write an appropriate response to this story.

Karen

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 12:17:15 pm »
Oh I am so glad you are reading this. Let me know when you have finished the whole story. It took me about three days to read then another few days to absorb. I'd love to discuss it with others.
Leslie

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 02:14:31 pm »
I see no reason why this shouoldn't be actually published. Somehow, I think AP would give her permission (there are precedents for things like that).

coffeecat--what is wrong with discussing it with the people who have posted on this thread?

I'd like to add a minor point: if the story consisted of nothing but the entire list of proper names used in it, it would be worth reading.
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

mvansand76

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 05:54:10 pm »
I can't believe there aren't more replies on this thread.  "Roots" is the best bbm fanfic to date.  The writing, the subject matter, the development, narrative flow, authentic detail are all head and shoulders above anything else out there.  It's really not accurate to call it fanfic.  It's a sure enough novel.  I'd be green with envy if I wasn't so wrapped up in AJ's amazing work.  This one stands alone.  There is nothing else like it in the fandom.  It's the real deal.  I urge anyone that loves Brokeback to read this backstory of Earl and Rich's lives.  You don't know what you're missing.

bailey

Wellllll you sure know how to convince a girl, Bailey.... ;) Will start reading it once I have finished my own writing... thanks for the recommendation!

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2006, 12:04:54 am »
Odd, when i had read it...I stopped writing altogether.

Does anyone know who "271 Horses" is?

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2006, 05:17:30 pm »
I know what you mean; I have hardly been able to read or write much else either since I finished Roots/Earl & Rich.

271horses also wrote Widower which is a great piece of writing although unfinished. I have seen other people refer to him as AJ. He might be on the DC boards, but I don't know. He seems to reply to all of his comments.

cc33 / Leslie K.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2006, 10:03:27 pm »
Yes--isn't it wonderful how he weighs and answers all comments so carefully!

Sid tells me he IS on DC, andf listed under "271 Horses." I thought I had looked through all the numbered members (as in "271")--but couldn't find him. I'll look again.
Since two members of my immediate family supported (and one still does) themselves entirely by writing, the first thing I think of when i read something wonderful is "A LOT OF PEOPLE SHOULD READ THIS." Especially when the scope of the work, as in "Roots," goes far beyond the territory of BBM (which is not to say it doesn't lay the groundwork for BBM). But it stands by itself--I think.

His answer was that he did not feel himself "in the same league" with AP,--but it's a NOVEL, not s short story, and wonderful short stories can be counted on the toes asnd fingers of one man.
Why not compare it, for instance, to Conan Doyle's "A Study in  Scarlet"? (really a short novel) Which I think an inferior work to his (although I enjoyed it).
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 12:44:57 am by twistedude »

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2006, 11:32:04 pm »
Yes, unquestionably, ROOTS stands on its own. Fitting, isn't it? It has the support, or roots, it needs to stand on its own.

cc33

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2006, 02:30:45 am »

I made an avatar for ROOTS