Author Topic: Was: Laramie Tales: New Working Title: Tales of Greenlea County (ARCHIVE)  (Read 532585 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Was: Laramie Tales: New Working Title: Tales of Greenlea County
« Reply #300 on: December 08, 2006, 02:25:53 pm »
Of all the characters, I love Ennis and Ellery the most, and I love it when they just talk to each other. Well, yeah, I love the other stuff too, but...you know what I mean.

That is why I am enjoying re-reading Taking Chances, there are tons of E&E conversations as they get to know each other, and fall in love.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #301 on: December 08, 2006, 02:43:27 pm »
Nick is having inner conflicts here.

He is used to his Navy ways of getting what he wants.   For guys like him, it is the thrill of the hunt and conquer.   Sex has always been about Lust.   

Here he does Lust after Jeremy, but he knows there is something more.   He doesn't want to hurt him, both physically nor emotionally.

This inner voice we hear is his old ways of bedding down Tricks.    His raw desire is urging him to pillage and plunder.   But he is trying so hard to pace himself, even using some of his old relaxing techniques on Dupree that he used to use on virgins before.

David makes good points here!

Nick might appear to be "losing his shine" but in my opinion, he is desperately horny, consumed with lust for Jeremy.  He is not perfect, and although he has had way more experience than Jeremy has, he is not lacking in his own share of insecurities .. 

Dupree is not the only one going through a crisis, granted, he is still in the closet and Nick is not, but they are both experiencing an intense, mutual physical attraction, along with a bunch of unanswered questions.
Dupree is aware of Nick's confession that he is falling for him, he is dealing with that .. he is also now worried that Nick might return to the Navy and leave him behind ..

Nick has a hidden fear that Dupree might "decide" to go back to living as a straight guy, afterall he went on a date with Paula  .. he is also aware of the fact that Dupree has not reciprocated his feelings by also stating that he is falling in love ..  he wonders if Dupree will decide that he doesn't want to see him or sleep with him any more.  Like Dupree, he is under some pressure ..and all of this is going in a short space of time .. Has it been a week yet?

And another thing .. Nick sounds very experienced and "together" but he is only 22 years old .. sometimes I have to remind myself of that fact .. he is still quite young.  :)

Time'll tell ..

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #302 on: December 08, 2006, 02:57:40 pm »
SPOILER

David makes good points here!

Nick might appear to be "losing his shine" but in my opinion, he is desperately horny, consumed with lust for Jeremy.  He is not perfect, and although he has had way more experience than Jeremy has, he is not lacking in his own share of insecurities .. 

Dupree is not the only one going through a crisis, granted, he is still in the closet and Nick is not, but they are both experiencing an intense, mutual physical attraction, along with a bunch of unanswered questions.
Dupree is aware of Nick's confession that he is falling for him, he is dealing with that .. he is also now worried that Nick might return to the Navy and leave him behind ..

Nick has a hidden fear that Dupree might "decide" to go back to living as a straight guy, afterall he went on a date with Paula  .. he is also aware of the fact that Dupree has not reciprocated his feelings by also stating that he is falling in love ..  he wonders if Dupree will decide that he doesn't want to see him or sleep with him any more.  Like Dupree, he is under some pressure ..and all of this is going in a short space of time .. Has it been a week yet?

And another thing .. Nick sounds very experienced and "together" but he is only 22 years old .. sometimes I have to remind myself of that fact .. he is still quite young.  :)

Time'll tell ..

Wow - you both stated that beautifully!  Yep to all of it.  Ennis said it best in the last chapter, didn't he?  That none of us are perfect!  And Louise demonstrates that so well in her very human, complex and oh-so-true-to-life characters!  Not to mention the "I  can't wait to read more" quality of her storylines! 

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful exchange of thoughts!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #303 on: December 08, 2006, 03:26:03 pm »
Update to "Dupree's Choice"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/174024.html  "16. Jeremy"
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline richardg49

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • 'Keep on trucking'
« Reply #304 on: December 08, 2006, 04:59:18 pm »
I know I'm very slow to be asking this question, but would someone please translate that word 'andele' that Dupree keeps saying to Lance. I'd like to know quite why Lance is so annoyed by it.

Anyone?
I gave him what I hoped was that hopeful innocent puppy look that said “don’t you just want ta rub my tummy” rather than that hungry, ravenous wolf look that said “why don’t you just come out a that brick house so I can eat you up little pig?” LVH: 'What I did on my Day Off'

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #305 on: December 08, 2006, 05:14:14 pm »
I know I'm very slow to be asking this question, but would someone please translate that word 'andele' that Dupree keeps saying to Lance. I'd like to know quite why Lance is so annoyed by it.

Anyone?

I believe it is Spanish for "Go!"

I think Lance gets annoyed because it is embarrassing for him...reminding him of how Dupree found him and Sergio in the bathroom, and then saw them on the videotape.

L
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 05:21:14 pm by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #306 on: December 08, 2006, 05:23:24 pm »
it is what Lance was saying when he was having sex with Sergio in the videotape.  Andele,andele...
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

yb

« Reply #307 on: December 08, 2006, 05:57:07 pm »
Thank god Richard asked for the meaning of andele.  I've tried babelfish for a translation but it doesn't have it.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #308 on: December 08, 2006, 05:59:57 pm »
And here I thought everybody in the audience was a fan of Bugs Bunny and Looney Tunes cartoons and the hilarious "Speedy Gonzalez" (not to be confused with Natali of the same family,) whose signature exclamation was:

Arriba arriba!  Andele andele! 

I was just picturing Lance and Sergio going at it Speedy Gonzales style.

excuse me: the spelling is     Ándale! 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 06:11:23 pm by louisev »

yb

« Reply #309 on: December 08, 2006, 06:22:32 pm »
excuse me: the spelling is     Ándale! 

Oh, that's why babelfish doesn't have the translation for andele!