Author Topic: I bought the DVD  (Read 2005 times)

moremojo

I bought the DVD
« on: April 10, 2006, 10:51:03 am »
Greetings to all:

Just wanted folks to know that I purchased a copy of the DVD this past Saturday--it's all mine, now! Not the same as having access to this gorgeous film on the big screen, but Ennis and Jack and their story are definitely there.

The first thing that struck me about the DVD was the back cover, which had, towards the top, what I assumed to be a production still (never having seen it before) of Heath as Ennis and Jake as Jack looking at each other. Heath as Ennis is so handsome here! My heart swooned all over again for this beautiful character.

Getting the DVD home, I decided to preview it rather than watch it all the way through (I'm a little scared to do so, because of the powerful emotions this film brings up in me--it was one thing to experience this in the theater, but I don't know how I'm going to handle it unfiltered at home). I went through the whole Brokeback Mountain section at the beginning, stopping when Jack and Ennis part in Signal. I played around with pausing, and watched the first tent scene at least three times--had to see those hands I've been hearing so much about!

And my second viewing, I did see them! Oh my...this adds a whole new dimension to this scene. Already at this point, Jack is clearly feeling some kind of passionate or tender connection to Ennis--this isn't just a moment of lust for him! And I loved the facial expressions of the two boys, with Ennis clutching at Jack's shirt and collapsing onto Jack's back. Ennis letting his right hand drop down near Jack could be a balancing gesture, though I find the interpretation of some that it is a calming or controlling gesture toward Jack to be very erotic. It is also quite evident that, regardless of Ennis's confusion, he very obviously desires Jack even as he asks "What're you doing?",  as he leans into him and clasps at his head and hair.

I also loved, all over again, the moment earlier when Ennis states, "You may be a sinner, but I ain't yet had the opportunity", and Jack delightedly laughs and salutes him with the whiskey bottle, and then we see Ennis meet his gaze with a bashful little smile--so adorable! This definitely feels like a flirtatious moment to me, though this might be sublimated for Ennis at this point.

I'll probably have another go at the DVD this coming weekend. But it's nice to know that it's there to be visited and revisited whenever I please. And I am definitely most pleased to have Jack and Ennis as permanent guests in my home.

Cheers,
Scott

Offline amh

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • C'mere, baby.
Re: I bought the DVD
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 11:01:23 am »
I'm so glad you have it!  And I know how you feel.  I tried explaining it to someone this weekend.  It's not just the feeling of being able to watch it whenever I want (which is all the time), but having the DVD (two copies now, actually, wide and full-screen!).  But having it in my home kind of makes me feel secure - both that I feel secure that I have my movie, and the movie's safe with me. 

Isn't that nuts?!?!?!??!?!
:-* This ain't no rodeo, cowboy.