Author Topic: You're 19...  (Read 4700 times)

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
You're 19...
« on: April 10, 2006, 11:55:37 am »
After all these viewings, this just struck me.  At the end of the movie as Ennis & Alma Jr are walking to his trailer, he says to her, "You're 19, I guess you can do whatever you want." 

But when Ennis was 19, he did not feel he could do whatever he wanted, or at 23/24... 

"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

vkm91941

Re: You're 19...
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 12:13:57 pm »
After all these viewings, this just struck me.  At the end of the movie as Ennis & Alma Jr are walking to his trailer, he says to her, "You're 19, I guess you can do whatever you want." 

But when Ennis was 19, he did not feel he could do whatever he wanted, or at 23/24... 

Yes!  I think that line says so much about how much Ennis has grown, about his realization that he wasted his chances, he could have done whatever he wanted...even been with Jack..

moremojo

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 12:15:44 pm »
Oh yeah...I noticed this melancholy 'mirroring' element my second or third viewing, I think. Alma Junior has the opportunity to declare her love for Kurt openly, and have the society around her accept and support her decision. Ennis and Jack did not have this freedom, though their love was just as real and enriching.

This makes me think that "Jack, I swear...", apart from eveything else it might imply, is a kind of marriage vow Ennis is offering to his now absent beloved. And when he straightens the postcard, we sense that he is remembering himself and Jack specifically as those nineteen-year old lads, on that beautiful, lonely mountain, forever enshrined there in his heart. So heart-wrenchingly beautiful...

:'(
Scott

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 12:37:04 pm »
 :'( Yes it is.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 01:19:04 pm »
I hardly thought Ennis gave her an enthusiastic endorsement of her getting married at age 19.  It's like your of age, I can't stop you. 

Probably thinking that him getting at age 19 might have been too early and triggered a "train-wreck" so to speak.   Doesn't want to see his daughter repeat his father's mistakes. 

But yes, her marriage will get social support that Ennis and Jack never did. What was Ennis suppose to do, say he's having cold feet, I think I kinda fell in love with this fella named Jack Twist. 

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 02:02:57 pm »
This makes me think that "Jack, I swear...", apart from eveything else it might imply, is a kind of marriage vow Ennis is offering to his now absent beloved. And when he straightens the postcard, we sense that he is remembering himself and Jack specifically as those nineteen-year old lads, on that beautiful, lonely mountain, forever enshrined there in his heart. So heart-wrenchingly beautiful...

Darn you, Scott.  You just made me get misty at my desk.  Yet another thing I've missed in lo my eight viewings thus far and have to look forward to seeing on my next one.
No more beans!

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 06:26:25 pm »
KD5000 - I read somewhere that a large percentage of engaged individuals realize before the wedding that it is a mistake.  So, yes I think in a perfect world Ennis should have "put the brakes on" (but, I also think I should have!).  Then again, I, like Ennis, would not have had my children.
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 06:41:57 pm »

This is a beautiful thread.  BUT, didn't Ennis himself also get married at 19? I though this was the "main" mirror aspect in this scene.  When Jack and Ennis met in Proulx's book, she says that "neither of them were 20" and they were only up on the mountain for those few, glorious months and then he came down and married Alma.

Another thing about that end scene that always gets me is the "this Kurt fella.. he love you?" - which I know has already been talked to death, but it always hits me in the heart.  He knew that while he cared about Alma dearly (demonstrated countless times throughout the film) he didn't love her in the way he loved Jack. The thought of his little girl settling for some guy who was only going to do to HER what Ennis himself did to Alma would be unbearable to E.

Chut up!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006, 08:33:12 pm »

This is a beautiful thread.  BUT, didn't Ennis himself also get married at 19? I though this was the "main" mirror aspect in this scene.  When Jack and Ennis met in Proulx's book, she says that "neither of them were 20" and they were only up on the mountain for those few, glorious months and then he came down and married Alma.

Another thing about that end scene that always gets me is the "this Kurt fella.. he love you?" - which I know has already been talked to death, but it always hits me in the heart.  He knew that while he cared about Alma dearly (demonstrated countless times throughout the film) he didn't love her in the way he loved Jack. The thought of his little girl settling for some guy who was only going to do to HER what Ennis himself did to Alma would be unbearable to E.

Hey!  You!  Get outta my head!  Really, this is just how I see it, too.  He can't bear the thought of Jr. going through what Alma must have gone through.  I also think that Jr. knows exactly what he's talking about when he asks her - hence the beat before she answers.  Just when you think the scenes can't get any better after the lake, you get the phone call, then Lightning Flat, then THIS.  Again, I'm just in awe of the genius that is Ang Lee.  All credit to Diana and Larry, of course, too, but the crescendo this film builds to and then maintains through to the bitter(sweet) end is unprecedented.
No more beans!

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 09:31:01 pm »
Hey!  You!  Get outta my head!  Really, this is just how I see it, too.  He can't bear the thought of Jr. going through what Alma must have gone through.  I also think that Jr. knows exactly what he's talking about when he asks her - hence the beat before she answers.  Just when you think the scenes can't get any better after the lake, you get the phone call, then Lightning Flat, then THIS.  Again, I'm just in awe of the genius that is Ang Lee.  All credit to Diana and Larry, of course, too, but the crescendo this film builds to and then maintains through to the bitter(sweet) end is unprecedented.

Sorry Barb, its just so damn nice in your head... all those delicious first tent scene descriptions and naughty thoughts of the boys at the motel... *protracted sigh and lusty images*...  Mmmm..

YES, that pause before she answered Ennis suggest a bit to me too - about my 10th viewing I thought "does she KNOW?".  Okay, she's no dummy and she and her dad obviously had this special little bond and she MUST know that a lack of wife (in spite of NO lack of opportunities to get one... a la Cassie's desperation to be with him and marry him) must have been suspicious.  I don't care what anybody says, kids can read their parents. Kids can tell when something is up.  Barb, you're a mum too, I'll bet your little boy can pick up on your moods.  My little fella is autistic and even HE knows when I'm down.

That little smile she gives him too, is more reassurance that she's not going to suffer like he did throughout his life.  Oh, every time you think you've discovered everything about this film, you find another dang layer to sift through!!!

*back to Barb's naughty thoughts, methinks*  ;D
Chut up!