Author Topic: Celebrating the Winter Solstice  (Read 298743 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Celebrating the Winter Solstice
« Reply #170 on: February 02, 2015, 12:04:41 pm »
By comparison to Minnesota, I can understand the attraction of Naw-fuck, Va., but, as you know, I spent 13 months in Tidewater Virginia 35 years ago (  :o ), and the summer humidity there is worse even then here in southeastern Pennsylvania, so it's not for me.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #171 on: February 02, 2015, 01:00:33 pm »
I like a winter that's a real winter--but with a summer that's mild and not stinkin' hot.

Yup!  I'm the same way!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #172 on: February 02, 2015, 05:09:59 pm »
I guess we missed Imbolc yesterday, hunh? We're about halfway to the Vernal Equinox?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imbolc

"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #173 on: February 02, 2015, 10:49:13 pm »
Thanks for the link friend. That was great information about St. Brigid's Day! I noticed it was happening, but didn't know how to celebrate.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #174 on: February 02, 2015, 11:50:30 pm »
Thanks for the link friend. That was great information about St. Brigid's Day! I noticed it was happening, but didn't know how to celebrate.

I suppose some form of whiskey is appropriate for anything Celtic.  ;D

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #175 on: February 03, 2015, 09:37:02 am »
LOL......we just have the groundhog.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #176 on: March 03, 2015, 06:24:26 pm »
That second sentence stopped me for a moment. For a second I thought, well how nice, she feels so deeply at home where she lives now that she wouldn't consider moving.

Then I realized -- duh! takes me a while sometimes -- that it wouldn't be that easy for you to move to a completely different climate. I'm constantly daydreaming about moving to some warmer state, and really the only thing that stops me is that I don't have work anywhere warm and most of my friends and family are here. But I have some f & f in Colorado, which is warmER, and Louisiana, which is actually too warm, so those places are possibilities. And even if I wanted to move to, say, Arizona, where I know no one, it wouldn't be a huge deal. I could eventually find work, I speak the language, etc. -- I could just move there and hope to adjust. So it's a lot easier than moving from, say, Sweden to Spain.

I guess that's a little compensation for not having national health care and paid parental leave and all of the other advantages that you Eurobrokies have.

I have a friend who lived here in MInnesota then sold everything she owned and moved to San Miguel de Allende in Mexico. She sounds like she has a lot of fun and the idea is tempting, but I probably wouldn't do it because, like you, I feel this country is my home.

Exactly. Since I live as far south as you can get in Sweden, I would have to move to a different country if I want a change of climate.

And even though I could legally move to any country in the EU without any permits, it would mean tons of implications and problems like language, finding work, finding out how everything works, getting my licence conveyed and finding out how the health care system works etc, etc.

I get exhausted just from thinking about it!

In that respect, we are more stuck here (and I think language is the major problem), but as you say, we have huge advantages over you when it comes to health care and other social insurances.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #177 on: March 04, 2015, 02:31:46 am »
That second sentence stopped me for a moment. For a second I thought, well how nice, she feels so deeply at home where she lives now that she wouldn't consider moving.

Then I realized -- duh! takes me a while sometimes -- that it wouldn't be that easy for you to move to a completely different climate. I'm constantly daydreaming about moving to some warmer state, and really the only thing that stops me is that I don't have work anywhere warm and most of my friends and family are here. But I have some f & f in Colorado, which is warmER, and Louisiana, which is actually too warm, so those places are possibilities. And even if I wanted to move to, say, Arizona, where I know no one, it wouldn't be a huge deal. I could eventually find work, I speak the language, etc. -- I could just move there and hope to adjust. So it's a lot easier than moving from, say, Sweden to Spain.

I guess that's a little compensation for not having national health care and paid parental leave and all of the other advantages that you Eurobrokies have.

I have a friend who lived here in MInnesota then sold everything she owned and moved to San Miguel de Allende in Mexico. She sounds like she has a lot of fun and the idea is tempting, but I probably wouldn't do it because, like you, I feel this country is my home.

Yes, it's easier for you Americans to move to a different climate. But I also am baffled at your willingness to take up and leave everything behind. Over here you're famous for your ease regarding moving across the country.
We Germans might even be more unwilling to move than our European neighbors, not sure. But here you build a house once in a lifetime (if you can afford it) and then you live in it for the rest of your life. Even people who pay rent rarely move to across the country. Most people stay put after they finished their education.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #178 on: March 04, 2015, 09:36:44 am »
Interesting conversations about moving vs. staying put.

as for celebrating the winter solstice, have we celebrated too hard?  :laugh:

March 4th, just when you'd think it would start to warm up, the temp is dropping, and later today our rain is supposed to turn to snow, and we could end up with as much as 8 inches by tomorrow.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #179 on: March 04, 2015, 12:54:40 pm »

Yes, it's easier for you Americans to move to a different climate. But I also am baffled at your willingness to take up and leave everything behind. Over here you're famous for your ease regarding moving across the country.
We Germans might even be more unwilling to move than our European neighbors, not sure. But here you build a house once in a lifetime (if you can afford it) and then you live in it for the rest of your life. Even people who pay rent rarely move to across the country. Most people stay put after they finished their education.

Quite a bit of this has to do with the Industrial Revolution. At the beginning of the previous century, about 70% of people in the US lived in rural areas and about 30% in cities. Fifty years later, that percentage was reversed. People moved to the cities for work. After corporations got all the people where they wanted them in the cities, they start working on getting people more mobile to be able to move from city to city to suit changing preferences of employers. States began offering generous incentives to have employers move to their cities, such as paying no state taxes, getting free real estate, etc. These incentives could total millions of dollars and were paid for by taxpayers (who were also employees). Many states have passed laws more attractive to employers such as the "at will" states (including Colorado where I live) in which all employees are working "at will" and can be terminated at any time for any reason or for no reason at all.

In addition, if you were an employee of a global company and wanted to remain with that company or move up you had to be ready to move anywhere on short notice.
"chewing gum and duct tape"