Author Topic: Lord Ennis  (Read 2061 times)

moremojo

Lord Ennis
« on: December 19, 2006, 09:54:37 pm »
As some here may know, I am very interested in royalty and nobility, though an ardent proponent of republicanism (that's a little 'r', mind you); I know it's a paradox, but life and people are full of paradoxes, eh?

At any rate, scouring through some reference books devoted to the British peerage, I came across some noble titles that were eerily evocative of one of everybody's two favorite Wyoming cowboys. 'Ennis' forms a component of all five titles, most if not all created within the peerage of Ireland. That seems quite appropriate, as 'Ennis' is a Celtic name. Anyway, I thought it would be fun to share here what I read just earlier this evening:

--On 20 July 1776, William Willoughby Cole (1736-1803) was created Viscount Enniskillen, co. Fermanagh (within the peerage of Ireland). On 18 August 1789, again within the peerage of Ireland, Lord Enniskillen was created Earl of Enniskillen. The former title may yet endure to the present day; the latter certainly does.

--On 31 July 1800, William Hare (1751-1837) was created Baron Ennismore, co. Kerry (within the peerage of Ireland). On 15 January 1816, once more within the peerage of Ireland, Lord Ennismore was created Viscount Ennismore and Listowel. Both titles apparently survive to the present day.

--On 18 August 1841, George Hamilton Chichester (1797-1883) was created Baron Ennishowen and Carrickfergus, of Ennishowen, co. Donegal, and Carrickfergus, co. Antrim (apparently within the peerage of Ireland). Upon Lord Ennishowen's death on 20 October 1883, the Barony of Ennishowen and Carrickfergus became extinct.

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Lord Ennis
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 04:13:59 am »
I think we can all agree on Ennismore:)