Author Topic: New Year's Eve and Dinner For One  (Read 6335 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
New Year's Eve and Dinner For One
« on: December 27, 2006, 04:36:16 pm »
Last year, before BBM obsession completely set in, I heard the funniest story on NPR about this movie, Dinner For One, which is traditionally watched in Germany on New Year's Eve. Fortunately, the story was also posted on Slate, so I was able to read it (as well as listen) and also watch the movie. For some reason, it really hit my funny bone...my sense of humor, I guess.

The Slate story can be found here:

http://www.slate.com/id/2133551/

and the YouTube version of the movie can be found here (it is just over 10 minutes long):

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8908622153579785434&q=%2522dinner+for+one%2522

I would love to hear from our international members...do you watch this on New Year's Eve? Is it as traditional as the article says? Inquiring minds want to know!

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: New Year's Eve and Dinner For One
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 04:58:57 pm »
Yes! Dinner for One is an absolute Sylvester classic in German television!  :laugh:

I've seen it countless times. Freddie Frinton and May Warden are priceless! It's a cult!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0121210/

The same procedure as last year, Miss Sophie? The same procedure as every year, James! ;D

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 05:09:13 pm »
Now that I am becoming a Dinner for One scholar...

There are different versions of the movie out there. This one is 18 minutes long and has an introduction in German. You'll notice the set looks a little nicer, too...tablecloth on the table and so on. In the 11 minute version (the original link I posted) make sure to look closely at some of the pictures on the wall!

http://video.google.de/videoplay?docid=9105942950207814319&q=dinner+for+one

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 07:19:48 am »
Last year, before BBM obsession completely set in, I heard the funniest story on NPR about this movie, Dinner For One, which is traditionally watched in Germany on New Year's Eve.

Like Anke already said, it is THE ultimate Sylvester (New Year's Eve) classic to watch. And like her, I've seen it countless times. We started to pass this tradition down on our children last year. The girls saw it the first time last Sylvester and we will watch it together it this year again  :). I think it is a very funny tradition to have.

On New Year's Eve it is shown in many TV programms at different times, so you don't have to worry to miss it. It is so funny and it belongs to Sylvester just as much as fireworks.

I've never seen the shorter version before. On German TV, they show always the version with the introduction. The shorter version seems to be an on-stage version.

make sure to look closely at some of the pictures on the wall!

? I noticed some of the frames are empty, no pictures in them. Did you mean that?

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 07:54:09 am »
do you watch this on New Year's Eve? Is it as traditional as the article says? Inquiring minds want to know!

Yes, it every bit as traditional and then some. Although, here in this country it's shown each year on the day before Christmas Eve ie. on December 23. (don't know if this day has a specific name in English, but we call it "Little Christmas Eve").

It's been a tradition in Norway for years and years to put a halt to any Christmas preparations or revels and to sit down and watch "The Countess and the Butler" as is its name over here. It simply wouldn't be Christmas without doing that! And most people will be able to quote many passages from it. "Same procedure as every year" has become a common by-word that everyone knows, and most people will be able to give you "I'll kill that cat" with gusto.  ;D

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 08:35:23 am »
To Pent: Yes, I was referring to the empty picture frames!

To Mikaela: No, there isn't a specific name for December 23rd, but in my family we call it "Christmas Eve Eve." And we use it as an excuse to get a little rowdy, in contrast to the more serious celebration on Christmas.

As a matter of fact, this little video had us all in hysterics on Christmas Eve Eve this year. Warning: definitely NC17 rated!

L

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 05:45:33 pm »
Better late than never, I just watched Dinner for One and was laughing out loud, by myself, at this totally ridiculous movie. It is so silly...but so funny. Some day, I would like to be in Germany, or Scandinavia, or somewhere, for the tradition of watching this with a group...

For now, my banner is changed and it is time to think about 2007. But let's all remember

Same procedure as last year, Miss Sophie?

Same procedure as every year, James!

Leslie

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 02:48:35 pm »
Gotta bump this for "Silvester".

Online Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 09:06:47 am »
Very appropriate bumping!  ;D

Although I have to admit, I haven't watched it for several years now, as it's not a tradition in the family where I usually celebrate NYE.

But, there's always Youtube!   ;D

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre