Author Topic: Mary Renault Book Discussion  (Read 80755 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: Mary Renault Book Discussion
« Reply #170 on: January 13, 2007, 03:44:46 am »
there is a line in this chapter when Alexias encounters Socrates for the first time....he forms a friendship with this 'old' man...a little lonely boy and just devastated when he left..

he couchs his thoughts with a side step...

"It may be that I thought 'Here is a father who would not think me a disgrace to him (for he is ugly himself) but would love me, and would not want to throw me away on the mountain' I do not know"

My heart breaks for this little boy who feels SO unloved and ugly....how much he carried on his young shoulders!! not only did he have this legacy from his namesake but his handsome father! what HUGE shoes he had to feel no wonder he was over whelmed and withdrawn...

My heart also breaks for him. Mary Renault got us good!   :'(
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 13, 2007, 03:56:09 am »
no!

not til I bring us back to the issue of names....we hear of 'the Rhodian', Alcibiades, Sokrates, and his father...but the last line in this chapter is

"Not long after this my father married his second wife, Arete, the daughter of Archagoras."

now....here he is giving this woman a very high honor indeed...traditionally that is how he would introduce a man! not only do we get HER name but her father's name. This is no trivial liason...no this is a true Athenian Lady! The ONLY time in the book this far that anyone gets such an honor!

Knowing how he felt toward 'the Rhodian' what does this tell you about Arete??

Kerry?

Gasp! I'm left with my mouth open here (shut up, David!!! ;) LOL  :-*) Seriously, I was so overcome with emotion by the departure of Socrates that I am compelled to confess that I didn't even notice the last paragraph! Just trying to tread water quickly here and regain my composure, I would guess that it tells us that Arete is a woman of substance from the same social strata as Alexias' father. An equal, or at least as much an equal as a woman could be within Athenian society LOL. I suspect it also indicates that Alexias likes her. Am I close?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 06:33:48 am by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 13, 2007, 03:59:58 am »
an overview of what we will see in Chapter 3...

this is a long chapter...with a LOT going on...Alexias is now 15 (and attracting men's attention already...this 'ugly' child)....the Athenians are preparing to go to war against Syracuse....the city is in an uproar over a night of vandalism...we meet Xenophon (the famed horseman)...Socrates makes another appearance....

and

and

LYSIS!!

*swoon*

Exciting! Can't wait! Let's begin!   :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 13, 2007, 04:04:06 am »
People will be putting their Christmas trees back up by the time you all finish discussing that chapter.

Hunker down.

I fear you may be right, David!  But I'm going to enjoy the process ;)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 04:08:22 am by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 13, 2007, 09:33:29 pm »
I think he models for a Herm so it would be more of a Hermes / Eros look (Eros isn't that intersting  ;) ) The Herm was often just depicted as a phallus, so again something to consider about the skills of MR.

A Hermae (or Herm) was a plinth with a head on top and large, rampant phallus emerging from the plinth itself. There were also two beam-shaped projections near the shoulders to hold wreaths. They originally represented only the God Hermes but later served for portrait busts or other deities. Hermae stood  in large numbers in the streets and squares of Athens and other cities.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #175 on: January 13, 2007, 09:53:12 pm »
and they figure very heavily in the next chapter...it is mentioned that the Spartans also had them but theirs were merely a mound of stones...

Kerry can you give us a background on the significance of a Herm? What are they for...what did they mean to the ancient people??

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 13, 2007, 09:57:28 pm »
My point of debate is - do we think MR was avoiding creating a "gay" character even though all her books use homosexuality as a key theme.  Might be a bit too soon to debate this, lets see what people think as the progress further through TLOTW  ;)

To quote my previous post in which I quoted from the "Oxford Companion to Classical Civilisation" (Oxford University Press):

"The application of 'homosexuality' (and 'heterosexuality') in a substantive or normative sense to sexual expression in classical antiquity is not advised."

« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 10:05:11 pm by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #177 on: January 13, 2007, 10:04:55 pm »
To quote my previous post in which I quoted from the "Oxford Companion to Classical Civilisation" (Oxford University Press):

"The application of 'homosexuality' (and 'heterosexuality') in a substantive or normative sense to sexual expression in classical antiquity is not advised."

SURELY you are not saying that all those teenage boys laid very still and never once enjoyed ANY of the sex...I would find that very hard to believe in context of the very passionate poems and odes we have from that time...

I can accept that it was not spoken of in polite society but the idea of the younger never once showing sexual interest a little far fetched...

one source I read, and of course I don't remember where....said that ORAL sex was frowned upon..."a man who was known to engage in oral sex was not offered the common cup at a banquet....interesting to note he was invited though" but anal intercourse was considered the 'norm'...

I do agree that for an adult man to want to be the reciever would bring derision...but for the younger? no...

« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 10:39:48 pm by injest »

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 13, 2007, 10:26:29 pm »
SURELY you are not saying that all those teenage boys laid very still and never once enjoyed ANY of the sex...I would find that very hard to believe in context of the very passionate poems and odes we have from that time...

I can accept that it was not spoken of in polite society but the idea of the younger never once showing sexual interest a little far fetched...

one source I read, and of course I don't remember where....said that ORAL sex was frowned upon..."a man who was known to engage in oral sex was not offered the common cup at a banquet....interesting to note he was invited though" but anal intercourse was considered the 'norm'...

I do agree that for an adult man to want to be the receiver would bring derision...but for the younger? no...

I've just amended my previous post. Though it is quoted directly from The Oxford Companion, on second thought, after I'd posted it, I considered it best to delete it at this point in our discussion.

It's difficult for us to understand the ancient Greek mind, particularly when it comes to their sexual outlook. Suffice to say that what we colloquially refer to as "greek," perhaps wasn't necessarily a Greek practice.

Here's another quote from The Oxford Companion:

"The asymmetries structuring pederastic relationships reflected the underlying division of sexual labour. Whereas a boy, lacking his lover's erotic motivation, was not expected to play what the Greeks considered an 'active' sexual role - he was not, that is, to seek a sexual climax by inserting his penis into an orifice of his lover's body - a man was expected to do just that either by thrusting his penis between the boy's thighs (which was considered the most respectful method, because it did not violate the boy's bodily integrity) or by inserting it into his rectum. Respectable erotic relations between men and boys preserved the social fiction, to which some honourable lovers may even have adhered in actual practice, that sexual penetration of the boy took place only between the legs (the so-called intercrural position), never in the anus or - what was even worse - in the mouth. It was not a question of what people actually did in bed (the boy was conventionally assumed to be anally receptive to his older lover) so much as how they behaved when they were out of bed."

I think you were right in your earlier post, Jess. We shouldn't be discussing this so early in the book.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 10:30:52 pm by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #179 on: January 13, 2007, 10:43:36 pm »
very good...then we will lay that aside and continue with chapter three....which starts out with one of the most beautiful evocative scenes I have ever read...the view that morning Alexias saw from the Acropolis....

the description of the ships sitting like a city of lights on the sea...the dawn breaking and details emerging from the mist...just beautiful...