Author Topic: Mary Renault Book Discussion  (Read 79824 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Mary Renault Book Discussion
« Reply #180 on: January 13, 2007, 10:46:12 pm »
GOOD LORD HAVE MERCY!!  :o

Every time I stick my nose in here,... well, I just never know what I may find in here!

I hope you all are having a great evening.  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 13, 2007, 10:46:38 pm »
Kerry can you give us a background on the significance of a Herm? What are they for...what did they mean to the ancient people??

I've consulted both the Oxford Companion to Classical Civilisation and also the Oxford Classical Dictionary. In both volumes, the reference to Hermes is quite substantial. The reference to Hermae can be edited to read, "Hermae were set-up in public and at private doorways as protectors of houses and cities."
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 13, 2007, 10:50:19 pm »

Every time I stick my nose in here,... well, I just never know what I may find in here!

Hey David!

It's getting on to 2pm on Sunday afternoon where I am. Glorious sunny high-Summer day here in Sydney. Cold where you are, I'm guessing? Snow?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #183 on: January 13, 2007, 10:51:23 pm »

what do you mean?? we are discussing a book..not like in your sad little thread where people ramble endlessly about anything....

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 13, 2007, 10:55:00 pm »
what do you mean?? we are discussing a book..not like in your sad little thread where people ramble endlessly about anything....

David, I'm sure Jess meant that with enormous fondness and good humour!!! LOL  ;)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 13, 2007, 10:59:02 pm »
I'm off to read chapter 3 now. Finally made it to page 11!!! Catch ya later!   :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #186 on: January 13, 2007, 11:00:48 pm »
Hey David!

It's getting on to 2pm on Sunday afternoon where I am. Glorious sunny high-Summer day here in Sydney. Cold where you are, I'm guessing? Snow?

Hey Kerry. Yeah, it's cold and rainy in Indianapolis. Ice and snow is on the way for tomorrow.  :(

Jess, you be nice to me or I'm gonna sabotage your club again!  :D

Okay. Back to your book discussion!

Talk at ya later!
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

« Reply #187 on: January 13, 2007, 11:02:31 pm »
I'm off to read chapter 3 now. Finally made it to page 11!!! Catch ya later!   :)

oh no  :-X

you haven't read it yet!!

oh I am sorry! hope I didn't post any spoilers!!

(David knows I am teasing...be glad when he gets a copy and joins us for real!!)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 14, 2007, 06:57:23 am »
very good...then we will lay that aside and continue with chapter three....which starts out with one of the most beautiful evocative scenes I have ever read...the view that morning Alexias saw from the Acropolis....

the description of the ships sitting like a city of lights on the sea...the dawn breaking and details emerging from the mist...just beautiful...

Breathtaking! Absolutely breathtaking! The view from the Acropolis with the first rays of the morning sun striking the spear-tip of Athene of the Vanguard. Can you see it? And the smell of frankincense on the air from the altars. The smell of the early morning dew. Wow, my senses are reeling!

And at last, we now know Alexias' father's name - Myron son of Philokles (the same Philokles who dedicated the stele to uncle Alexias and Philon). But I prefer to think of him as "Myron the Beautiful." Sigh!

I was so happy for Alexias when I read of his excellent rapport with his stepmother. She sounds like a sweetheart.

This is quite a long chapter and was not necessarily an easy read in places (all that conspiratorial conversation back and forth, all those names being thrown about - you had to have your wits about you). It covered a lot. How would you like to attack it? Work methodically through from start to finish or pick interesting bits at random? Suggestions?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #189 on: January 14, 2007, 11:20:12 am »
I think I would like to work thru bit by bit....but so much of it is connected it will stray I think!!

for example, the morning Alexias ran up to the Acropolis to see the fleet..his father had a party planned for the evening and he told his father that he would get the best flowers (for the garlands)  if he went early....he said about his father's reaction to him going alone..

"He laughed, knowing that I wanted an excuse to run about without my tutor; but he gave me leave, knowing too that at such an hour I should not meet too many temptations. It was well known that he in his young day was called Myron the Beautiful, just as you might say, Myron son of Philokles. But he thought, like all other fathers, that I was younger and sillier than he was at the same age."

which tells ME that Alexias was reaching an age where he was beginning to attract attention. Interesting that Athenian upper middle class treated their youths almost like some societies did girls! with chaperones!! LOL!

and when he was IN the marketplace buying hyacinth:

A man who was there choosing myrtle smiled at me and said "You should have bought those first, Hyakinthos."

it appears our 'ugly' duckling has changed!!

and Alexias's reaction?

"But I raised my eyebrows and went on without speaking."

such a proper young man...well brought up! you'll not find the son of Myron chatting up men in the marketplace!!

:laugh:

like I said things begin to tie together now...getting more complicated...(don't you love it?)