Author Topic: OT Poll - Favorite TV Show  (Read 11561 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
OT Poll - Favorite TV Show
« on: April 12, 2006, 10:06:49 am »
I was just wondering what we all love to watch on the boob tube when we're not watching BBM again or trying to give *some* props to some other movie.  I made it so you can vote for as many as you'd like, as some folks don't have just one favorite, and I tried to represent all the biggies in current pop culture.  Let me know if you have a favorite I haven't listed and I'll add it.

I voted for Lost, The Daily Show and Scrubs.  I'm starting to really enjoy The Colbert Report, though, so I may have to change my vote eventually.  :)
No more beans!

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
Re: OT Poll - Favorite TV Show
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 03:48:20 pm »
"South Park,"-- and "Real Time with Bill Maher" blows hot and cold...I haven't watched normal TV for a long time. I started (gave it one look) "Big Love" (about an extended Mormon family), but some friends told me it isn't really like that at all, so I quit.

Gandolfini has the sweetest smile....

I don't see "Six Feet Under" on the list--that would be one of my all-time favvorites, along with "All in the Family" and "MASH."  There ain't hardly nothin' to watch no' mo'.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 05:40:51 pm by julie01 »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 10:06:08 pm »
Yeah, I couldn't get into "Big Love" either, and for the same reason.  I did really enjoy Jeanne Tripplehorn on my couple of viewings though.  Great character name, too.  ;)  Figures, though - I finally get a character in a TV show with my name, and she's one of the three wives of a polygamist - er - plural marrier.

James Gandolfini is a tremendous actor.  I really got into the first couple seasons of The Sopranos, but I guess it didn't hold my interest enough to keep me faithful over lo those many long hiatuses.  I was sad to see Six Feet Under end, though.  The third season was a bit of a wash, but the final season more than made up for it.  Talk about the quintessential dreamer - Nathaniel Fisher, Jr., anyone?
No more beans!

Offline Nicole

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Nicole R.
    • MY MySpace Page
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 06:44:57 am »
I picked:

The Daily Show
The Colbert Report
Gilmore Girls (don't laugh - it's good!)
South Park
Scrubs

South Park isn't a show I watch on a regular basis, but whenever I do I laugh my ass off. 

One show that isn't on the list that I adore is The Office (that would be US version - sadly, I've never seen the British one.  I'm sure it's amazing - but don't knock the US one - it's hilarious!)
I also would have said Arrested Development, but  :'( :'( :'( :'( it's done.

All-time favourite shows:

The amazing, wonderful and wacky 90210 of course. (Kelly was burned in a fire, raped, sucked into a cult, shot in a drive-by, had amnesia, was stalked by a girl from rehab, was stalked by the lesbian she was burned with, had a coke addiction, had a mother with a coke addiction, got addicted to diet pills....for that alone you have to bow down to the show)
My So-Called Life (Jordan Catalano is infinitely hotter than Jared Leto - strange but true)
Freaks and Geeks (funny as hell and James Franco was in it - need I say more?)
   Cowboys do it better

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 09:55:18 am »
I love Gilmore Girls!  Like you with South Park, Nicole, for some reason I don't catch it often but when I do I laugh my ass off.

My all-time favorites:

Twin Peaks (first season only - got too weird even for me after that)
The X-Files (the first three or four seasons especially)
Seinfeld (Anyone remember Del Boca Vista? - lmao - it's a combination of Delray Beach and Boca Raton, with Vista thrown in, and I've lived in both.  Oh and by the way, we live very near a development down here called Boca Del Mar - almost bought a house in there before we bought our current one.  :))
The Simpsons
King of the Hill
Malcomb in the Middle (the first two seasons)
Father of the Pride
Arrested Development
Six Feet Under
Scrubs
The Daily Show
Lost

No more beans!

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
edenbarby~
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 02:45:37 pm »
I dearly loved "6 Feet Under,"--but how can you really miss it, when it is..really... over?
I watched the last show dutifully 4 or 5 times, to get everyone's vital statistics, --and then discovered they were right on the internet!

I liked that David took another partner, after Keith was shot--but did NOT marry him...(I also liked that David and Keith got married to begin with--so probably, someday, in California, it will be legal).

Yeah, Nate...I know all the others are gone, but I still miss Nate...
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: edenbarby~
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 03:09:42 pm »
I dearly loved "6 Feet Under,"--but how can you really miss it, when it is..really... over?
I watched the last show dutifully 4 or 5 times, to get everyone's vital statistics, --and then discovered they were right on the internet!

I liked that David took another partner, after Keith was shot--but did NOT marry him...(I also liked that David and Keith got married to begin with--so probably, someday, in California, it will be legal).

Yeah, Nate...I know all the others are gone, but I still miss Nate...

I know what you mean, Julie.  I guess what I should say is that I miss that level of quality drama on TV.  I try to watch network dramas, and they irk the crap outta me because they pander so much to the idiot masses.  Same formula all the time.  It gets tiresome.  Even Lost lately is irritating me because I feel it patronizing me a bit.  I do not like to be manipulated by my entertainment - that's why I *cannot* abide "reality" shows - it's all about the bait and switch.  Erg.

David came to be my favorite character on Six Feet Under.  With Claire a close second.  I think they evolved as human beings the most over the course of the series.  Nate never really changed a bit, nor did Ruth.  While I often loved Nate for being the Voice of Reason, I often was irritated with him for being so foolish when it came to his own life.

Oh, my God.  I'm talking about these characters as if they are real people!  Who'd a' thunk it?   :D
No more beans!

Offline littledarlin

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • darlin=andrew, guitar=mandy
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2006, 01:07:03 am »
out of this list, project runway and lost.  but the best tv show of all-time is the simpsons.  i will not accept dissenting opinions on this matter  :P

i also love six feet under, strangers with candy, french & saunders, absolutely fabulous, wondershowzen, the oblongs, futurama, living single, and sex and the city.

and even though i just listed 39024893284 shows, i'm actually not a big fan of television. 
We can hug on November, caress and nice oak.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: OT Poll - O/T from poll!
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2006, 01:22:47 am »
littledarlin: I haded a postcard with your tagline on it to my son, a movie critic, with two questions:
1) WHAT is THIS?
2) WHAT DOES IT--MEAN?
He couldn't guess either thing, but when i translated it, he said, Oh yeah, I remember that line...

I showed him the Oscar promo book., with a line of his criticism in it, and he was most interested in reading the things the othert critics said, not the glorious pictures...he went to as lot of festivals, but had never heard of the BAFTAs (at least by name)...the March 10 Variety elicited "They don't mention the Oscars at all." (as if it had been an intentional, well-earned snub)I said "Only things where it won "Best Picture, and things where there was no
best picttuire,  like Director's Guild...he called it "The best picture of the year"..but give the guy a break, he only saw it three times, two of them before any of us did.

click to enlarge...

« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 01:24:46 am by julie01 »

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2006, 11:27:44 am »
I voted for The Daily Show and HGTV.  I haven't seen any of the others, except for South Park (which mostly I find - surprise! - offensive, but did love the "Tom Cruise won't come out of the closet" one).  

All time favorites?  I watched a lot of TV as a kid, not so much since.  We've had a TiVo now for about a month, and there's still not much I can find to watch.  Just as well.  So I guess I'd say -

I Love Lucy (my hero!)
early SNL
Northern Exposure
Sports Night
King of the Hill
The Simpsons

Um, just for fun and a stroll down my memory lane, I'm going to the internet to find a list of TV shows to peek through.  Okay, found a big list at jumptheshark.com.  Here's some I loved at various eras, in alpha order:

The Andy Griffith Show
Cagney and Lacey
The Carol Burnett Show
Coach
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Daria
Davey and Goliath
Designing Women
The Dick van Dyke Show
Family Affair
Get Smart
Hawaii Five-O
Inside the Actors Studio
The Jetsons
L.A. Law
The Larry Sanders Show
Living Single
Lonesome Dove
Lou Grant
The Mary Tyler Moore Show
Murphy Brown
Reading Rainbow
Roseanne
Sex and the City
The Simpsons
thirtysomething
TV Nation
Wishbone

My favorite is that "Daria" and "Davey and Goliath" are next to each other on the list.

Clarissa

« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 01:59:00 pm by Ellemeno »