Author Topic: "Homo Heroes" article link - review of "X-Men: The Last Stand"  (Read 8099 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: "Homo Heroes" article link - review of "X-Men: The Last Stand"
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 04:46:27 pm »
I haven't seen any of the X-men movies, but I read my grandsons stories about them (in a book, not on Kindle). So I was intrigued when I listened to an old episode of Radiolab today where courts were arguing whether X-man characters were toys or dolls. Each X-man or -woman has a power that was caused by a mutation. If you have a mutation, are you a mutant? If so, we are all mutants because we all have mutations. And, what degree of mutation do you need to have to not be a human being, but some other type of being? There's also a brief discussion about Magneto "coming out" to his parents about his mutation. Of course, the first question his mom had was if he could just not use his mutant powers.  :-\

http://www.radiolab.org/story/epic-battles/
Too much to do. . .I don't have time to get old!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 09:29:45 pm »
I don't think in the stories the X-Men considered themselves 'non-humans'.

It's been  a while since I read any of the comic books or graphic novels, but when someone referred to a non-powered human, the term homo-sapien was used.  When one referred to a mutant, they were called "homo-superior".

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 12:32:01 pm »
It's been  a while since I read any of the comic books or graphic novels, but when someone referred to a non-powered human, the term homo-sapien was used.  When one referred to a mutant, they were called "homo-superior".

I like that idea! Meanwhile e-sports are going on and distracting legions of young men all over the globe. At my grandchildrens' house is a piece of furniture called a baker's rack. It served for many years to hold serving dishes in my dining room. Now, it would be more accurate to call it a gamer's rack!
Too much to do. . .I don't have time to get old!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 06:12:12 pm »
are they all online games?

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!