Author Topic: Jake In Drag??  (Read 44263 times)

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
Re: Jake In Drag??
« Reply #130 on: January 16, 2007, 10:27:20 pm »
Shock and Awe, indeed. 

The real civil rights heroes of the gay community were the loud, over-the-top drag Queens who fought back hard against the police who busted them at Stonewall. Drag Queens aren't called "fierce" for nothing.

Kelda, rent the movie "Stonewall" (1995), directed by Nigel Finch, and you'll understand a lot better, and rent Jenny Livingston's poignant "Paris Is Burning".  If these movies don't spell it out, then nothing will.

Brokeback Mountain is so effective because our heroes are completely up against their environment and the time flow.  They take our hearts. 

Stonewall occurs at about the same time period, in an environment that could be somewhat manipulated by it citizens.   They earn our respect.

It shows you people who did what needed to be done, in contrast to those who were too afraid to step up and deal even though, unlike Jack and Ennis, they had the means.

Middle America is the problem.  They are stuck in gray area, and they never move, until moved. 

Whether its civil rights for women, blacks, gays, freedom to worship whatever you want or don't want to, they're issue will always be the same - inaction.
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #131 on: January 16, 2007, 11:15:19 pm »

boy NBC is on the warpath this week!  Jakey's opening monologue will just not stay up at YouTube!   :'(

Well the link above to the Barry Gibb Talk Show does not work anymore, but luckily this one still does, probably bcz it does not have SNL as a tag word.

enjoy, this one is the funniest of the three....   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTwFCvLbieI&NR

Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #132 on: January 17, 2007, 12:50:09 am »
Yay, Jane! That link shows the same clip as the other link I posted. Thanks for posting this one, and yes, it's the first of the three and I still think the best. Even though I'd seen it four or five times, when I watched it the other night I was laughing so hard my abs got a serious workout!

Justin's impersonation is so good, he even does the "hand to the ear" for the harmonizing at just the same time and with the same hand as Robin used! (My friend and I checked out a YouTube clip of the Bee Gees doing Nights on Broadway, the song they parody in the sketch.)

Thank god for Jimmy Fallon!
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #133 on: January 17, 2007, 01:01:11 am »

Hi Jenny!

ya, that is a great clip, I must have watched it 30 times!   :laugh: :laugh:  The part that cracks me up, (well, one of the parts  ;D) is how Timberlake can't keep a straight face, hahahahahahaa gotta go watch it again    :laugh: :laugh:

injest

« Reply #134 on: January 17, 2007, 01:30:50 am »
ok I would like to make a distiction between "Will & Grace" and "Queer Eye"...

Carson is just being Carson...that is who he is...he may exagerate for effect BUT he is a gay man and the show is not a comedy show....

Jack is a made up character...

If a person is effeminate and behaves a certain way, it is NONE of our business to criticize him....if a corporation tries to make money by doing a cheap caricature of the real person THEN I object...

does that make any sense??

and I appreciate people making the point about the wheelchair skit....they were mocking the stereotypers not the minority...

I felt the opening mocked the minority...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #135 on: January 17, 2007, 01:47:42 am »
ok I would like to make a distiction between "Will & Grace" and "Queer Eye"...

Carson is just being Carson...that is who he is...he may exagerate for effect BUT he is a gay man and the show is not a comedy show....

Jack is a made up character...

If a person is effeminate and behaves a certain way, it is NONE of our business to criticize him....if a corporation tries to make money by doing a cheap caricature of the real person THEN I object...

does that make any sense??

and I appreciate people making the point about the wheelchair skit....they were mocking the stereotypers not the minority...

I felt the opening mocked the minority...

Jess, in many ways I am a "Carson"; in other words "effeminate". But I WOULD NEVER do some of the things I have seen him do; not on national television. It's perfectly fine to act "openly gay", it's also fine to flame a little. But when he does things like run his hand up and down the crotch of a straight man, he is simply crossing the line. There is no excuse for behavior like that. What kind of a message does this send to others? Many gay people have been trying to fight this "obsession with sex" stereotype for decades. Carson just comes along and validates it. It's just more ammo for the homophobes.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #136 on: January 17, 2007, 01:59:45 am »
" it's also fine to flame a little."

That's what I keep telling Vin Diesel. ;)
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #137 on: January 17, 2007, 02:00:06 am »
ok, here is a link to Jake's Opening monologue and singing on SNL, now this one may actually stay up at YouTube, I hope!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmG2gBAcN-8

injest

« Reply #138 on: January 17, 2007, 02:02:56 am »
Jess, in many ways I am a "Carson"; in other words "effeminate". But I WOULD NEVER do some of the things I have seen him do; not on national television. It's perfectly fine to act "openly gay", it's also fine to flame a little. But when he does things like run his hand up and down the crotch of a straight man, he is simply crossing the line. There is no excuse for behavior like that. What kind of a message does this send to others? Many gay people have been trying to fight this "obsession with sex" stereotype for decades. Carson just comes along and validates it. It's just more ammo for the homophobes.

OOPS see that is what happens when you rattle on without knowing what you are talking about!!  :laugh: :laugh:

I have only ever seen Carson on the morning and late night talk shows...guess they musta cleaned up the little snippets they showed...never saw the show...yeah, that is obnoxious... :P

sorry!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #139 on: January 17, 2007, 02:43:32 am »
That's what I loved about Brokeback Mountain, Jess. There were no cheap gay stereotypes in the movie (and I must admit I was very afraid there would be the first time I saw the movie). The movie was about two men in love. Period. And it made us think too. Hell, we're sitting here over a year later still discussing and analyzing it. I wish they would create a sitcom like Brokeback Mountain. A sitcom (or some kind of weekly program) about a group of gay men without all the cheap shots. Do you think it will EVER happen?

I can't figure out what NBC was thinking when they created Will & Grace. The money was talking to them, obviously. They certainly weren't looking out for the interests of gay people in this country.

[[[[[Jess]]]]]]    :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.