Author Topic: Cold Case: Forever Blue  (Read 64724 times)

mvansand76

Re: Cold Case: Forever Blue
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2007, 03:38:35 pm »
Thanks for posting the link. I watched this episode and yes, very BBM. heartbreaking story.

I loved how Coop leans against the petrol car in the last scene, that reminded me so much of Jack and Ennis's first meeting outside Aguirre's trailer.

And a very sad moment when Jimmy said 'I miss him'  :'(  :'( It was clear he really loved Jimmy.

Glad you liked it too! I loved that part too, there are so many loving references to BBM!

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2007, 04:42:03 pm »
The scene in the backyard that Eileen witnesses happens several months before the christening scene--since she's only 5-6 months pregnant in the backyard scene.

yep, that scene is really reminiscent of Alma. Not that Alma was pregnant when she peaked out at Ennis and Jack, but the way it happened recalls that scene from BBM, plus Eileen being in a light color night gown is reminiscent of Alma in her light colored night gown.

It just hit me that we're talking about the same time period too, aren't we. They are such different worlds, Wyoming and Boston. (I think it's Boston, right?) Kinda goes back what could Ennis and Jack have really hoped for, in escaping to bigger cities? Not much better. Ennis would still not be free to be honest about his own feeling, as we can see in Jimmy's reactions.

btw, when Coop drove off to answer the dispatch, I was almost expecting a shot of him looking into his rear view mirror at Jimmy standin by the road.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

mvansand76

« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2007, 04:55:26 pm »
yep, that scene is really reminiscent of Alma. Not that Alma was pregnant when she peaked out at Ennis and Jack, but the way it happened recalls that scene from BBM, plus Eileen being in a light color night gown is reminiscent of Alma in her light colored night gown.

It just hit me that we're talking about the same time period too, aren't we. They are such different worlds, Wyoming and Boston. (I think it's Boston, right?) Kinda goes back what could Ennis and Jack have really hoped for, in escaping to bigger cities? Not much better. Ennis would still not be free to be honest about his own feeling, as we can see in Jimmy's reactions.

btw, when Coop drove off to answer the dispatch, I was almost expecting a shot of him looking into his rear view mirror at Jimmy standin by the road.

Great post! I was thinking of that too, it's about the time of J&E's reunion. It's sad isn't it, that there really was no way out, that there were really no 'better' places to go. Makes me very sad.

midwest-girl

« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2007, 06:05:05 pm »

It's Philadelphia, I'm pretty sure.  I agree that things wouldn't have been easy for Jimmy and Coop but I do think they had an advantage being city kids that Jack and Ennis never had.  I mean, at least living in a city they were aware of other gay men, the gay life was at least a presence in their world, if that makes any sense.  That's one of the reasons why I think they had a much better chance at taking a shot at being together than Jack and Ennis even did.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2007, 06:28:49 pm »
It's Philadelphia, I'm pretty sure.  I agree that things wouldn't have been easy for Jimmy and Coop but I do think they had an advantage being city kids that Jack and Ennis never had.  I mean, at least living in a city they were aware of other gay men, the gay life was at least a presence in their world, if that makes any sense.  That's one of the reasons why I think they had a much better chance at taking a shot at being together than Jack and Ennis even did.

I think you're probably right Amy. And East coast or West coast cities would have helped too. Even large cities here in the Midwest can be very rough for gay people... even now.

I can't wait until this weekend when I can watch this episode! You all have really stirred my curiosity about it.  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

mvansand76

« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2007, 06:35:23 pm »

I can't wait until this weekend when I can watch this episode! You all have really stirred my curiosity about it.  :)

Yippeeee! We did it! Come back here and discuss the episode with us as soon as you've seen it, will ya?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2007, 06:45:21 pm »
Yippeeee! We did it! Come back here and discuss the episode with us as soon as you've seen it, will ya?

I sure will!  :D

But you should go to bed!  ;)

It's late over there in Amsterdam!

I'll drop a post in here just as soon as I watch it.

midwest-girl

« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2007, 07:05:11 pm »
I think you're probably right Amy. And East coast or West coast cities would have helped too. Even large cities here in the Midwest can be very rough for gay people... even now.

Where exactly are you, David? I'm in Kansas City.  Which, surprisingly enough, is pretty gay-friendly.  Not in every part of the city, and probably not in some of the 'burbs, but overall, better than people would expect, I'm guessing. 

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2007, 08:33:51 pm »
Where exactly are you, David? I'm in Kansas City.  Which, surprisingly enough, is pretty gay-friendly.  Not in every part of the city, and probably not in some of the 'burbs, but overall, better than people would expect, I'm guessing. 

Amy, I'm in Indianapolis. I live on the west side of town (Speedway area).  :)

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2007, 12:17:26 am »
It is definitely Philaelphia. I've watched it...jeez...fifty times.
yes, that's a TV show, or a short story, as opposed to a movie or a novel. Everything that can't be gotten in has to be implied, and your imagination has to be working full blast. I LOVE short stories...

SPOLIERS!

This song, "Daydream believer," plays from the beginning, though the time Coop appears in the church door with the sun behind him (first chrous) to Coop dead in his police car. I know it's just an old Monkees song, but does anyone (but me) make more of it than that?

http://paradise-engineering.com/quotation/daydream-believer.html  Click on "Daydream Believer" in red; you may need to have RealPlayer.

Daydream Believer

Oh, I could hide 'neath the wings
Of the bluebird as she sings.
The six o'clock alarm would never ring.
But it rings and I rise,
Wipe the sleep out of my eyes.
My shavin' razor's cold and it stings.

Cheer up, Sleepy Jean.
Oh, what can it mean.
To a daydream believer
And a homecoming queen.

You once thought of me
As a white knight on a steed.
Now you know how happy I can be.
Oh, and our good times start and end
Without dollar one to spend.
But how much, baby, do we really need.

Cheer up, Sleepy Jean.
Oh, what can it mean.
To a daydream believer
And a homecoming queen.
Cheer up, Sleepy Jean.
Oh, what can it mean.
To a daydream believer
And a homecoming queen.

Cheer up, Sleepy Jean.
Oh, what can it mean.
To a daydream believer
And a homecoming queen.

(I never pay much attention to pronouns, nouns or proper nouns when I'm listening to a song...)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 12:43:17 am by twistedude »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters