Author Topic: Fierce Storm Batters Europe  (Read 8041 times)

mvansand76

Re: Fierce Storm Batters Europe
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2007, 08:25:33 am »
Thanks for starting this thread, you are so sweet!

Well, here goes, another EuroBrokie report... :(

I decided to leave work early yesterday. I left at 3.00 and got home at around 6! It normally takes 45 minutes. When I arrived at Amsterdam Sloterdijk station there were already thousands of people waiting for the trains and there were no trains at all running because part of the roof of Amsterdam central station had collapsed an hour before. The train ride from Sloterdijk to where I live is only 5 minutes, but there is a waterway between Amsterdam and Zaandam and there are no bridges, only two tunnels, one for the trains and one for cars. So we were stuck. I ended up sitting on the platform freezing, then in a flash I decided to exit the station at the front and see if there were any buses to Zaandam. The moment I walked out of the station a bus arrived and about two hundred people stormed it. It really was a miracle, I ended up being one of the lucky few who were able to board the bus and it took us almost an hour to get to Zaandam, then I had to walk for half an hour and when I got home I told my boyfriend that I was so happy to be home, I couldn't stop laughing. Then I turned on the television and saw that thousands of people were stranded on the stations in Holland. It was terrible.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2007, 08:35:54 am »
My goodness... you were lucky to get home in 3 hrs then!

Didn't hear about Amsterdam central station stations roof coming in... geesh!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

mvansand76

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2007, 09:45:37 am »
My goodness... you were lucky to get home in 3 hrs then!

Didn't hear about Amsterdam central station stations roof coming in... geesh!

Yeah and I am usually very unlucky in these kinds of situations, making the wrong decisions and all.. The people that were stranded at the stations were taken to sports facilities where they could sleep on provisional beds...

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2007, 09:48:13 am »
Hi everyone!

I've been offline lately for health reasons, but nothing to do with the storm. I am in Brittany, which is not totally north, and we always seem to be safe from really bad weather (on the other hand, we keep getting oil on our shores!!). Some say that the weather is going to get worse and worse worldwide, but the ancient Celtic world (of which Brittany is a part, like Scotland, Ireland, Wales, and Galicia in northern Spain!)is safe and will be the only one to survive... and then King Arthur will come back and it will be the start of the reign of Keltia  :P :-\ :laugh: :laugh:

So anyway, thanks for the good thoughts, and I'll be around more I hope  :)
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2007, 10:57:14 am »
Thanks to the Eurobrokies for staying in touch. Anyone heard from James??
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2007, 05:48:24 pm »
Yeah and I am usually very unlucky in these kinds of situations, making the wrong decisions and all.. The people that were stranded at the stations were taken to sports facilities where they could sleep on provisional beds...

Melissa, I STILL think you and I must be related to each other in some way. I do the very same thing.... ALL THE TIME. lol   :)

I'm just happy to hear our Euro-Brokie friends are safe and sound. Let's just hope there won't be any more hurricanes in Europe this year.. or any other year for that matter.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2007, 05:53:19 pm »
Hi everyone!

I've been offline lately for health reasons, but nothing to do with the storm. I am in Brittany, which is not totally north, and we always seem to be safe from really bad weather (on the other hand, we keep getting oil on our shores!!). Some say that the weather is going to get worse and worse worldwide, but the ancient Celtic world (of which Brittany is a part, like Scotland, Ireland, Wales, and Galicia in northern Spain!)is safe and will be the only one to survive... and then King Arthur will come back and it will be the start of the reign of Keltia  :P :-\ :laugh: :laugh:

So anyway, thanks for the good thoughts, and I'll be around more I hope  :)

I heard about that oil spill, Isabelle. They said oil, chemicals, even some perfume spilled out of the boat and into the water. God. What a mess!  :P

We miss you around here Isabelle! You said you have been sick. I hope it's nothing serious.  :'(

Keep us posted, okay?
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2007, 11:46:52 am »
Hi David!
You are always your sweet self, aren't you? Actually, what I have is not much fun: it's an auto(self?)-immune disease/syndrome called GravesBasedow's syndrome. It is a thyroid disfunction, and as I started reading about it I found out that it is typically people who tend to be perfectionists who develop it, and also who take on too much work/stress. So besides the medication that I'll have to take for another 3 years, I'm gonna have to learn to say no, think of myself first when it is not seriously harmful to others, and take time to myself - like go away for a week all by myself. So if I hadn't come close to a heart attack with this condition, I'd say it is a blessing of sorts: methinks I am now going to allow myself more pampering and time from now on! Which I'm afraid I'd never've done if I hadn't gotten sick! So there - and the worst is behind me I think.
If anyone has had this, or knows about it, could you PM me and tell me what they went through? I'm still not sure what to expect exactly (my doctors haven't said much). I'd be grateful for some firsthand experience with this disease.
But I'm still around, and coming back to hang around here!
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"