Author Topic: OSCAR Predictions - Despite the fact that I will Still Boycott!  (Read 44630 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: OSCAR Predictions - Despite the fact that I will Still Boycott!
« Reply #140 on: March 03, 2007, 03:22:39 pm »
From quoted article:
[...]Alas, DeGeneres had less comic impact than one or two glimpses of Jack Nicholson, who'd shaved his head in solidarity with Britney Spears. He looked like the genie from a very high-proof bottle.

[...]And then there was the montage about writing in the movies, and then there were the Pilobolus dancers making cool shadow shapes.

I too was very disappointed with Ellen's bland performance.  He material was very safe and boring.  The Oscars need a host take takes chances.

As for Pilobolus, why did they include an image of the un-nominated Snakes on a Plane?  That seemed out of place.  A columnist in the Globe said that if people like to see dancers make pretty shapes that they should buy tickets to their show and see it on their own time, lol!  I tend to agree.

The same columnist brought up another excellent point,  why are there so few film clips during the Oscars?  I mean it's supposed to be about movies and people who watch tend to be movie lovers, so you would think that showing as many film clips as possible would be a given.  Millions of people are watching, it would be great advertising for the films.

One last thought.  I haven't seen Dreamgirls but if I go by its three very forgetable nominated songs then i don't think I'm missing much, lol!  What a snooze-fest indeed.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #141 on: March 03, 2007, 10:39:02 pm »
Here's the problem I've always had with the Oscars:  Too many tributes.  They really need to take a page from the BAFTAs' book.  There, they honor the films nominated that year and movies released over the last year in general.  And they do a lovely job of honoring each of the nominees.  I've heard that the Oscars tried to do that more (or some) this year.  But it seems they also did way too many tributes to people most folks don't care about.  I think the Honorary Oscar and the In Memoriam tributes are the only ones they need to do.  Beyond that, it's overkill.

Some people say they should do away with the categories like Best Live Action Short and Best Animated Short, but I disagree.  Those people worked hard as nails to make those films.  And they're not what eats up the time.  It's all the extraneous tributes and bits of hosts going into the audience and musical and/or dance numbers that have nothing to do with anything.  Cut that crap out, and you've got a three-hour show, TOPS, and that's with letting everyone have their say.
No more beans!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #142 on: March 03, 2007, 11:18:01 pm »
Well said, Barb!  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
« Reply #143 on: March 06, 2007, 05:51:13 am »
I think you have to be a freakishly huge film fan to reeeeeeeeally enjoy the Oscars.  Unless you're actually interested in who wins film editing and the sound awards and such, much of the show is going to be a big snooze.  I've found that these past two years that I've been able to see all of the documentary and short subject nominees in theatres, I've gained another 20 minutes of the show to be interested in.

I have to defend Ellen.  Asking Spielberg to take a picture of her and Eastwood and then asking him to correct his composition was pretty funny.  And the shadow picture folks?  I'd be surprised if they took up a full two minutes of the show.  I liked them just for the sake of wondering "How did they do that?!?!!?"

I love all of the film clip bits.  Again, you have to be a freak film fan to really get into it, but I am and I did.  And I really liked the way they read bits of the screenplays when they presented those awards this year.

I remember the 2004 awards being dull as dirt, but I had a great time this year.  Sorry, I did.

Offline Anya_Angie

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Figure skating is not figure jumping! - Ilia Kulik
    • Balletic Tzar
« Reply #144 on: March 07, 2007, 12:30:01 pm »
I agree that the short film categories, particularly Best Animated Short, should be kept in, if nothing else to preserve the legacy of its winners from the past (Knighty-Knight Bugs, Tweetie Pie, Birds Anonymous, The Fast and the Furrious, these are just some of the ones I know offhand) which included the likes of Chuck Jones and Walt Disney. Of course these were from the time when animated shorts, along with newsreels, were shown before features...

I know I'd rather see Bugs and Daffy arguing over what hunting season it is, than those stupid commercials for Coke and stuff!
You can tell the sun in his jealous sky when we walked in fields of gold...

Offline Anya_Angie

• Sr. Ranch Hand
    • Balletic Tzar
« Reply #145 on: March 16, 2007, 05:54:41 am »
I was searching google for something and typed in my name just to see if the Boston Globe ran my comment about Gilbert's article, and they did!

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/living/articles/2007/03/11/after_dreamgirls/

I am a collector and lover of film scores. The only reason I watched the Oscars this year was to see the great film composer Ennio Morricone finally get his due with an amazing tribute and an Oscar he should have received a long time ago. Gilbert didn't even seem to care who Morricone is and why he deserved what he got.

ANGELA RABATIN
Perryopolis, Penn.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #146 on: March 16, 2007, 07:43:54 am »
Yay! My thoughts exactly. What song or songs did they play when Morricone won his Oscar? I didn't see the performance, natch, because I was in Bay City watching Brokeback Mountain! That was the only part that I regretted missing.

I lent my Yo Yo Ma plays Morricone CD to a friend and now I can't get it back!! I think I'll go into shock if I don't get it back soon!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Anya_Angie

• Sr. Ranch Hand
    • Balletic Tzar
« Reply #147 on: March 16, 2007, 10:43:08 pm »
I can honestly say The Mission and The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly were among them. But I'll do better than simply describe the tribute: I'm going to show it to you!!!

LONG LIVE YOUTUBE!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #148 on: March 16, 2007, 10:51:35 pm »
That was so incredible!! Thank you very much!!

By the way, I have acquired two tickets to Matthew Bourne's Edwaard Scizzorhands!! I thought you would like to know about that!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Anya_Angie

• Sr. Ranch Hand
    • Balletic Tzar
« Reply #149 on: March 17, 2007, 06:22:18 am »
Ohhh lucky!!!! It's coming here or came here not too long ago, but I was saving up for a now-botched trip to DC for Champions On Ice. *sigh* Oh well, there's always another time.