Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1205679 times)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #2220 on: September 06, 2007, 05:45:56 pm »

Boy Marie that was teriffic.  I have been there and done that more times than I would like
to relate.  And the last line is so true....
         That one goes in the hall of fame.  In my book....          janice

Beautiful mind

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #2221 on: September 07, 2007, 09:08:28 am »

Ennis grabbed Wylie’s waist.  Wind roared up the cliff, pushed them away from the edge.  Wylie’s hair brushed Ennis’s cheek, his lean back pressed against Ennis’s chest. 
     “Steady...”  Ennis held tight, reassuring.  “Jack used to say, ‘Up here, we got the world at our feet.’”  He loosened his grip.  “You okay?”
      Wylie nodded.
      The sky darkened to crimson, the mountains, deep amethyst shadows.
      Ennis winced.  His very first day of school - First grade.  He dropped his marbleized composition book, his #2 pencil and ran to give his best friend Lukas a hug.  He remembered his father’s look... and the whipping.

100 words

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2222 on: September 07, 2007, 12:56:21 pm »
 :laugh:  I guess all parents can relate to the dreaded school shopping frenzy! 

Ennis grabbed Wylie’s waist.  Wind roared up the cliff, pushed them away from the edge.  Wylie’s hair brushed Ennis’s cheek, his lean back pressed against Ennis’s chest. 
     “Steady...”  Ennis held tight, reassuring.  “Jack used to say, ‘Up here, we got the world at our feet.’”  He loosened his grip.  “You okay?”
      Wylie nodded.
      The sky darkened to crimson, the mountains, deep amethyst shadows.
      Ennis winced.  His very first day of school - First grade.  He dropped his marbleized composition book, his #2 pencil and ran to give his best friend Lukas a hug.  He remembered his father’s look... and the whipping.

Phew!!  Ennis to the rescue.  Masterful, and hearbreaking, use of the prompts, Clyde.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2223 on: September 07, 2007, 12:57:29 pm »
Is it Friday again?  Try these if you like:

• scribble
  • fair enough
  • noticeable

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #2224 on: September 08, 2007, 09:15:44 am »

The tents set up easy.  Wylie proved a fair enough cook reheating Mattie Twist’s fried chicken and mashed potatoes, roasting corn on the cob, making biscuits and heating canned peas.  ‘No beans’ to honor Jack.
   Afterward, Mrs. P. commandeered the Coleman lamp and scribbled notes.       
   The guys drank beer by the fire.  Wylie told about his folks being totaled by a drunk driver, dropping out of college, selling the ranch when he couldn’t make ends meet, how he still lived there, working for the new owner and part time at Woody’s.  They felt a kind of kinship, it was noticeable.

100 words

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2225 on: September 08, 2007, 03:33:01 pm »
...... They felt a kind of kinship, it was noticeable.

This is interesting.  I'm wondering how Ennis feels about having this "kinship."

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2226 on: September 08, 2007, 03:36:14 pm »
Hi, all.  Some late Saturday prompts:  :)

• September
  • body language
  • simple

Marie

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #2227 on: September 08, 2007, 03:46:58 pm »
This is interesting.  I'm wondering how Ennis feels about having this "kinship."

Marie

I have a feeling eventually somebody just might get kithed.

(I'm sorry, reeeeally bad puns, I just can't resist.)   :laugh:

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2228 on: September 08, 2007, 08:35:54 pm »
I have a feeling eventually somebody just might get kithed.

(I'm sorry, reeeeally bad puns, I just can't resist.)   :laugh:

Groan.  ::)   :laugh:  So, is Wylie wily?   ;)

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2229 on: September 08, 2007, 08:42:03 pm »
Three Months

Ennis closed the door, hands shaking, and took a deep breath.  Dammitall to hell. Stoutamire had been adamant – August was out of the question.  He'd thought about asking for September, but he couldn't quit this one and the look on Stoutamire's face had made him uneasy – wasn't it bad enough he would be gone next week with the late heifers calving?  And what the hell was so important about some fishing trip that it couldn't wait three months, anyway? Ennis couldn't possibly explain the importance, 'cause the truth was, sometimes he missed Jack so much he could hardly stand it. 

~~~~~~~
100 Words