Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1205557 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #2330 on: September 25, 2007, 04:06:38 pm »
Fathers and Sons

"…..roly-poly, pell-mell…..''

Bobby giggled.  "Once more, Daddy, please?  It's my favorite." 

"Just once, and then lights out, okay?"  Jack smiled and leaned in close to whisper his secret.  "It's my favorite, too." 

"It is?" Bobby was delighted.  "Did your daddy read you The Poky Little Puppy?" 

Jack's smile faded a bit as he flipped back the pages of the Little Golden Book, but he kept his voice light.  "No, bud, he didn't have much time."

He started reading quickly, stopping any further questions.  His son was a long way from Lightning Flat and he wanted to keep it that way. 

~~~~~~~
100 Words

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline outrider

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • riding beyond the pale, beyond the veil.
Beyond the pale of human knowledge,
beyond the veil of human thought,
a whole mystic dimension.

Offline Rogue

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • "we will be known forever by the tracks we leave"
« Reply #2332 on: September 26, 2007, 03:44:42 am »
"Just tell me what you want Jack," said Ennis.
"I want us to make a promise to each other,I know we can't get married, but we can at least exchange rings or something," explained Jack.
"I've been thinking about that too," admitted Ennis.
"Well I thougt we might do something about it than," said Jack pulling a gold Ring out of his pocket.
"Well it looks like we both had the same idea," stated Ennis pulling his own ring out.
"And to think all of that fighting was about nothing," stated Jack.
"I guess so, I'm just glad it's all over," said Ennis.
"Love is a special word, and i use it only when i mean it you say the word to much and it becomes cheap." - ray charles

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #2333 on: September 26, 2007, 08:14:50 am »

Ennis wanted a drink.  Not nursing beers, not a shot or two of Old Rose.   A serious drink - to forget - tequila, Cuervo Gold if he was lucky.  Problem was, he couldn’t afford a cup of coffee, and as nice as Wylie seemed, drunk or sober, the kid scared the hell out of him.  “Thanks, I think not.”
     Mrs. P. pulled him aside.  “You ever examine what you’re doing and why?”   Ennis stood like a scolded child.  “You tiptoe through life like you’re afraid of leaving footprints.  Ennis, time ran out on you once, you think it won’t do it again?” 

100 words

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2334 on: September 26, 2007, 12:21:39 pm »
"I guess so, I'm just glad it's all over," said Ennis.

Me, too.  Nice when they're on the same page.   :)

......  “You tiptoe through life like you’re afraid of leaving footprints.  Ennis, time ran out on you once, you think it won’t do it again?” 

Dang, I'm green with envy over these lines, Clyde. 

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2335 on: September 26, 2007, 12:22:55 pm »
Happy Hump Day!

• interfere/interference
  • durable
  • plastic

Marie

Offline outrider

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • riding beyond the pale, beyond the veil.
Beyond the pale of human knowledge,
beyond the veil of human thought,
a whole mystic dimension.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2337 on: September 26, 2007, 08:23:16 pm »
Here Comes the Groom

Jack checked his watch discreetly, his mind wandering. Damn.  They'd never get done cleaning out the attic at this rate, especially with Fayette and Lureen stopping every five minutes to yap about some old piece of crap. He wanted to get to the store and buy that tent he'd seen before he left tomorrow, and ….

"Oh, honey, remember these from our wedding cake!"

He didn't remember them, but nodded as she put the figures into his hand, the tiny groom a sad reflection of himself on that day – plastic and hollow with a forced grin frozen on his face.

~~~~~~~
100 Words

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2338 on: September 26, 2007, 08:46:47 pm »
     Ennis wanted a drink.  Not nursing beers, not a shot or two of Old Rose.   A serious drink - to forget - tequila, Cuervo Gold if he was lucky.  Problem was, he couldn’t afford a cup of coffee, and as nice as Wylie seemed, drunk or sober, the kid scared the hell out of him.  “Thanks, I think not.”
     Mrs. P. pulled him aside.  “You ever examine what you’re doing and why?”   Ennis stood like a scolded child.  “You tiptoe through life like you’re afraid of leaving footprints.  Ennis, time ran out on you once, you think it won’t do it again?” 

100 words

I love this Clyde...it is absolutely teriffic.

Beautiful mind

Offline Rogue

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • "we will be known forever by the tracks we leave"
« Reply #2339 on: September 27, 2007, 03:03:22 am »
Interlude Five

"How's the mare doing?" asked Jack.
"Not so good, but I don't want to interfere unless I really have to," answered Ennis.
Ennis's best mare was in labor but was starting to have a little trouble.
"I think oyu should get in there, do something before you lose her Ennis," suggested Jack.
"I think your right," stated Ennis stepping into the stall and preparing to check the position of the foal.
"What's goin on?" asked Jack.
"Foals facin the wrong direction, I'm turning it now,"stated Ennis.
Minutes later the mare gave birth to a beautiful paint colt.
"Love is a special word, and i use it only when i mean it you say the word to much and it becomes cheap." - ray charles