Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1205606 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #2340 on: September 27, 2007, 12:14:24 pm »
Hi everyone,

How about for today, we take a visit to the animal kingdom?

• bear
  • elk
  • sheep

Have fun!

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2341 on: September 27, 2007, 04:03:28 pm »
Interlude Five

"How's the mare doing?" asked Jack.
"Not so good, but I don't want to interfere unless I really have to," answered Ennis.
Ennis's best mare was in labor but was starting to have a little trouble.
"I think oyu should get in there, do something before you lose her Ennis," suggested Jack.
"I think your right," stated Ennis stepping into the stall and preparing to check the position of the foal.
"What's goin on?" asked Jack.
"Foals facin the wrong direction, I'm turning it now,"stated Ennis.
Minutes later the mare gave birth to a beautiful paint colt.

What a lovely life-affirming moment for the boys to share.   :)

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2342 on: September 27, 2007, 04:07:52 pm »
Small Blessings

Junior was deep in concentration as she formed her mashed potatoes into a mountain, made an indentation in the top, and carefully poured the gravy.

"Look, Francie – a volcano!" 

Francie started to giggle, but Ennis was stern.  "Alma, Jr., don't play with your food." 

Junior bit her lip.  Mama and Daddy had been mean to each other again before Mama left for work and she knew how the rest of the night would go, with Daddy drinking beer and staring at the T.V., looking so sad it made her want to cry.

She got up suddenly and tugged on Ennis's arm.  "What goes 'aa aa aa'?"

Ennis looked up, startled. "Uh….what?"

Junior smiled and repeated the words slowly.  "What goes 'aa aa aa'?"

Ennis sighed and forced a small smile.  "I don't know, darlin', what?"

"A sheep with no lips!" 

Ennis looked startled again, but this time he burst into laughter and pulled Junior into a hug, nuzzling her cheek.  "Thank you, darlin," he whispered.

~~~~~~
165 Words
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Rogue

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • "we will be known forever by the tracks we leave"
« Reply #2343 on: September 28, 2007, 12:24:52 am »
Interlude Six

Jack and Ennis were on their first camping trip since Brokeback, and Ennis had just shot and elk that would be their meat for the duration of their trip.  While Ennis cut up the meat and prepared it for storage Jack went to get the wood so they could put it up where the bears and other animals wouldn't get it. 
Later that night they sat around the fire enjoying the elk meat when Jack said, "Well cowboy it's almost like Brokeback, except we don't have to worry about them damn sheep."
"Your right about that rodeo, isn't it nice, said Ennis.
"Love is a special word, and i use it only when i mean it you say the word to much and it becomes cheap." - ray charles

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2344 on: September 28, 2007, 12:37:59 pm »
Interlude Six

Jack and Ennis were on their first camping trip since Brokeback, and Ennis had just shot and elk that would be their meat for the duration of their trip.  While Ennis cut up the meat and prepared it for storage Jack went to get the wood so they could put it up where the bears and other animals wouldn't get it. 
Later that night they sat around the fire enjoying the elk meat when Jack said, "Well cowboy it's almost like Brokeback, except we don't have to worry about them damn sheep."
"Your right about that rodeo, isn't it nice, said Ennis.

I like these peaceful slice-of-life moments.   :)

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2345 on: September 28, 2007, 12:38:56 pm »
This week flew by .... how about these for today:

• unaware

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2346 on: September 28, 2007, 04:16:12 pm »
Internal Bleeding

His sleep had been deep and dreamless; it wasn't the pain that woke him, but the warm dampness on his face.  As he slowly opened his eyes and saw the blood on his pillow, a jumble of images began to form in his mind.  Angry words, broken beer bottles, swinging fists… no memory of who or why, only of the relentless need to release the ever-present demons.

Accepting the challenge he read in his own eyes, he pressed the cold, wet cloth harder against his face, taking comfort in the pain; acknowledging it as the penance that was his due.

~~~~~~~
100 Words

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #2347 on: September 29, 2007, 12:42:34 am »

Ennis and Wylie hardly spoke driving to Woody’s.  Ennis had decided nursing a couple of beers was preferable to being lectured.  But something had changed with Wylie.  He’d gotten quiet.  It happened when Ennis turned him down.  “Ain’t interferein with your plans am I?”
     “Nope.” 
     “Good.  Wouldn’t want that.”
     Silence settled between them like a wall, broken only by the occasional jingle of Wylie’s keys, hanging from the ignition, banging against their plastic tag. 
     Ennis longed for Jack’s lost friendship, so warm it could be felt across the miles, so durable it withstood both time and the heat of anger.

100 words

Thanks Marie and Janice!
      Been working days and nights last couple of days - database problems - mind has turned to mush!

Offline Rogue

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • "we will be known forever by the tracks we leave"
« Reply #2348 on: September 29, 2007, 04:26:59 am »
Interlude Seven

All those time Jack asked Ennis to come and make a life with him Ennis was unaware of the silent message he was giving Jack.  He never realized the pain he caused him.  Jack hid it so well, he accepted things the way they were.  He knew that was only way he would be able to stay with Ennis, he didn't feel he had a choice.  Sometimes he did get tired of waiting, even though he knew deep down inside that what he was waiting for would probably never happen, Ennis was too stubborn for that, but he had to hold out hope, that was after all the only thing he had left.
"Love is a special word, and i use it only when i mean it you say the word to much and it becomes cheap." - ray charles

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2349 on: September 29, 2007, 11:24:41 am »
     Ennis longed for Jack’s lost friendship, so warm it could be felt across the miles, so durable it withstood both time and the heat of anger. 
Beautifully stated, Clyde and so moving. 

....      Been working days and nights last couple of days - database problems - mind has turned to mush!
Sorry about the long hours - you'd never know it from your drabbles, as sharp and insightful as ever. 

Interlude Seven
......, but he had to hold out hope, that was after all the only thing he had left.
Nicely done and so sad.  Once we lose hope, we lose everything.

Marie