Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1204080 times)

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #2470 on: October 18, 2007, 01:00:58 pm »
Cracker Connoisseur

"Whut?"

"Naw, nothin ….just….. these are Cheese Nips.  I like Cheez-Its.
I;m with Jack, I only like Cheez-its
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Rogue

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • "we will be known forever by the tracks we leave"
« Reply #2471 on: October 18, 2007, 03:59:44 pm »
Jack was sitting at the kitchen counter eating a snack of nabisco crackers when the phone rang.
"Hello"
"Jack, it's Ennis I'm running a little late traffic is horrible, thought I'd call so you didn't worry."
"Alright cowboy, thanks for calling, how long do you think you'll be?" asked Jack.
All Ennis got out was "I'm before he was cut off and all Jack heard was dial tone, then he started to worry he didn't know where Ennis was or anything, but just as he was about to imagine the worst the phone rang.
"Hello"
"Sorry I got cut off, look I'm not sure when I'll be home but don't worry okay."
"Okay, see you when you get here cowboy."
"Love is a special word, and i use it only when i mean it you say the word to much and it becomes cheap." - ray charles

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2472 on: October 18, 2007, 10:20:50 pm »

Really liked that Rogue..I love little slices of life drabbles...pair of deuces, goin nowhere.  But interesting anyhow...

Beautiful mind

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2473 on: October 18, 2007, 10:31:29 pm »

I have been rather lax in my comments lately..I read, but I dont always comment..  I just want everyone
here to know how much I like and enjoy the stories, the drabbles, and the poems..I think our site, and this
thread are wonderful examples of the talent that lies within the people here at Bettrmost..It is one of the
things I am most in awe of...so much talent.  So bright, and so sharing...  hugs to alll. :-*

Beautiful mind

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2474 on: October 19, 2007, 06:34:09 am »
A little early morning inspiration, using one of yesterday's prompts.

Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX
February, 1977

Ennis lifted the receiver off the hook and held it to his ear. “Ain’t got a dial tone,” he said, looking at Jack.

“That’s cause the power is out.”

Ennis gave Jack a puzzled look. “What’s that got ta do with it?” he said. “Phones don’t need electricity.”

“They don’t?”

Ennis looked at Jack even more closely. He couldn’t tell if he was kidding or serious. Then, patiently, as if he was talking to a young child, he said, “Lookit the phone, Jack. No plug. No wires. No electricity.”

“But my momma always said not to use the phone during a thunderstorm.”

“My momma said the same thing, but it didn’t have anything ta do with electricity.”

“Oh.”

“I’ll tell ya something else, Jack.”

“What’s that?”

“Toilets don’t need electricity either—just in case ya gotta take a leak during this power outage.”

Jack gave Ennis a hard poke in the ribs with his elbow. “Thanks for letting me know that, cowboy. I’m much obliged.”

“Thought you’d be,” answered Ennis, with a grin.

(180 words)
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2475 on: October 19, 2007, 08:49:45 am »
And here is the Leslie idiot moment of the day...

I truly did not know that landline phones required electricity. As some guy said on a blog, what did you think they worked on? Will power? Well yes, maybe. Or phone service. That's it! Phone service! Who knew that phone service included electricity. LOL

I found this:

Phone companies supply power from high capacity battery arrays so that it is not affected by blackouts of the electrical network. In order not to drain the batteries, all the phone appliances that are legally sold in the US have to use their own power source for anything else than wired voice communication. Since most modern phones have other features/functions too, they need to be powered from the electrical outlet or from their own battery instead.

The phone in the kitchen has a plug, which I always figured was to charge the handheld portable receiver. But we have one really old fashioned phone which is the one we use to call Central Maine Power when the power goes out. It always worked so I figured it just had....phone service. Now I know that the phone jack not only gives me a dial tone, it also gives the phone electricity.

Who knew? LOL

But I know for a fact that toilets don't require electricity!

Thanks, Janice, for setting me straight!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline jpwagoneer1964

« Reply #2476 on: October 19, 2007, 12:34:19 pm »
How about for today:

-Afternoon
-Steam iron
-Pizza
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2477 on: October 19, 2007, 12:53:50 pm »
Jack was sitting at the kitchen counter eating a snack of nabisco crackers when the phone rang.
"Hello"
"Jack, it's Ennis I'm running a little late traffic is horrible, thought I'd call so you didn't worry."
"Alright cowboy, thanks for calling, how long do you think you'll be?" asked Jack.
All Ennis got out was "I'm before he was cut off and all Jack heard was dial tone, then he started to worry he didn't know where Ennis was or anything, but just as he was about to imagine the worst the phone rang.
"Hello"
"Sorry I got cut off, look I'm not sure when I'll be home but don't worry okay."
"Okay, see you when you get here cowboy."

What a sweet little moment.  I'm a worrier, too - I know just how Jack felt!

And here is the Leslie idiot moment of the day...

I truly did not know that landline phones required electricity. As some guy said on a blog, what did you think they worked on? Will power? Well yes, maybe. Or phone service. That's it! Phone service! Who knew that phone service included electricity. LOL

I found this:

Phone companies supply power from high capacity battery arrays so that it is not affected by blackouts of the electrical network. In order not to drain the batteries, all the phone appliances that are legally sold in the US have to use their own power source for anything else than wired voice communication. Since most modern phones have other features/functions too, they need to be powered from the electrical outlet or from their own battery instead.

The phone in the kitchen has a plug, which I always figured was to charge the handheld portable receiver. But we have one really old fashioned phone which is the one we use to call Central Maine Power when the power goes out. It always worked so I figured it just had....phone service. Now I know that the phone jack not only gives me a dial tone, it also gives the phone electricity.

Who knew? LOL

But I know for a fact that toilets don't require electricity!

Thanks, Janice, for setting me straight!

L

LOL!  Well, I have to join you in the idiot moment, Leslie.  My house sounds a lot like yours - not only is it a Cheese Nip free zone, we also keep one really ancient land line phone specifically because it still works when the power goes out!   So......I've never made the connection between phone service and electricity, either.  Who knew drabbles could be so educational? LOL! 

Thanks for the prompts, Mark!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline jpwagoneer1964

« Reply #2478 on: October 19, 2007, 03:26:30 pm »
Fall 1990

"So there Ennis....are ya excited 'bout the square dance tonite?"

"....Ah don't know.....Ah guess....maybe..."

"Ya been standing there ironing that shirt of yours ya like so much fer the last twenty minutes." Jack looking over Ennis's shoulder as he smoothed the fine cotton fabric of his 'Stetson' stripped shirt Jack had gotten last spring for him on his last birthday.

"Don't mean nothin', Just wanna look like we c'n take car o' ourselves......just an o'l square dance...." Ennis concentrating on the task at hand.

Jack reaches an arm around Ennis, rests his chin on his shoulder. "Hey Ennis.....Ya like that shirt 'lot don't cha?"

Ennis silent for a moment looks down feeling the soft cotton. "Ah sure do......like it 'lot.....reminds me of that one Ah had back in Riverton.....put it on that day ya came ta see me....hadn't seen ya in so long.....wouldn't let Alma wash it fer the longest time after...."

Jack squeezes both arms around Ennis, speaks just above a whisper in his ear. "I remember....'s why I picked it out fer ya....reminded me too."

Hardly able to speak. "Th....Thanks Jack."

"Ennis....ya ...ya think you think ya could iron a shirt fer me?"

"So that's it huh?...Ya think ya can just come waltzing in here any o' time, gettin' all sentimental on me an get me ta iron yer ol' shirt!....Huh?" Ennis never taking his eyes off his careful movement of the iron.

"Kinda what I figured." Jack gently tightens his grip around Ennis, pressing his face against his stubble.

Ennis turns to Jack eyebrows furrowed, then smiles. "Course Jack."

Jack returns with a solid dark red textured cowboy shirt with  front and back yokes, ivory snaps..... the one Ennis bought for him....and tosses it to him.

to be continued
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 12:04:46 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2479 on: October 20, 2007, 10:48:02 am »
for a lazy Saturday morning, how about:

• pancake breakfast
  • lazy bones
  • "I kinda doubt it."

L