Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1204612 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #2540 on: November 08, 2007, 01:07:00 pm »
Hey, everyone!  Some prompts for today:

• miss/missing
  • collect
  • rare

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2541 on: November 08, 2007, 07:29:32 pm »

Bobby said, "daddy, do we have anything rare?"  Jack looked up from the paper he was
reading and looked over at his son, who was laying on his stomach, on the floor.  "Well son I
sure do.  I have one of the most rare things on this earth."   Bobby turned towards him on his
elbow and said, "what daddy, what is it?"  "Well son you are my rarest possession.  I wouldn't
trade you for all the world."  "Dadddd, I meant something real."  "What, do you think you aren't
real, or that you aren't a possession?"  "No I meant do we own something that is rare and collectable
like a diamond or somethin." 
           "Well I don't put a lot of stock in things like that.  I would rather have someone to love, and
to have them love me back.  Than the rarest and most valuable treasure in the world..A pirates
randsom is not as precious to me as the ones I love..  I just want to hold them close to me forever,
and never lose them..  Because that would be the death of me."  Bobby turned back to his homework
thinking,,,,"he just don't get it."

Beautiful mind

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2542 on: November 08, 2007, 07:58:29 pm »

Bobby said, "daddy, do we have anything rare?"  Jack looked up from the paper he was
reading and looked over at his son, who was laying on his stomach, on the floor.  "Well son I
sure do.  I have one of the most rare things on this earth."   Bobby turned towards him on his
elbow and said, "what daddy, what is it?"  "Well son you are my rarest possession.  I wouldn't
trade you for all the world."  "Dadddd, I meant something real."  "What, do you think you aren't
real, or that you aren't a possession?"  "No I meant do we own something that is rare and collectable
like a diamond or somethin." 
           "Well I don't put a lot of stock in things like that.  I would rather have someone to love, and
to have them love me back.  Than the rarest and most valuable treasure in the world..A pirates
randsom is not as precious to me as the ones I love..  I just want to hold them close to me forever,
and never lose them..  Because that would be the death of me."  Bobby turned back to his homework
thinking,,,,"he just don't get it."

Janice, that is great!  You really know kids.  That was so sweet, and Bobby's last line was so funny - kids are always thinking that parents "just don't get it." 
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2543 on: November 08, 2007, 08:16:50 pm »
A Beautiful Thing

He found himself collecting them throughout his day, much as he had stuffed his pockets with stones, twigs, and any other odds 'n ends he'd found when he was a boy.  So when L.D.'s hat caught fire on the Fourth of July, or when Bobby told him his favorite knock-knock joke, or when Fayette and her poodle came over in matching outfits, the words and images were carefully stored in that special place in his mind.

For there was nothing in the world that made Jack Twist happier than the sight of a rare, but beautiful, Ennis del Mar smile.

~~~~~~~
100 Words

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2544 on: November 08, 2007, 08:24:53 pm »

I like that Marie.  It really was a rare treasure ..for sure...            :)

Beautiful mind

Offline Rogue

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • "we will be known forever by the tracks we leave"
« Reply #2545 on: November 08, 2007, 11:32:26 pm »
Ennis had been looking all over the house for the last hour, apparently he had miss placed his work gloves.  as he entered the living room for the fifth time that hour Jack looked up from the book he was reading.
"Ennis what are you doing?"
"Have you seen my gloves? I can't work with out them."
"Did you check the drawer by the back door?"
"Yes"
"The barn?"
"No"
"Well maybe you should go out there and look instead of looking in places you've already looked in five times."
"Maybe I will."
"Let me know how it turns out," shouted Jack as Ennis headed for the barn.
"Love is a special word, and i use it only when i mean it you say the word to much and it becomes cheap." - ray charles

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2546 on: November 08, 2007, 11:41:25 pm »
Quote from: ifyoucantfixit
..... I would rather have someone to love, and to have them love me back.  Than the rarest and most valuable treasure in the world..A pirates randsom is not as precious to me as the ones I love..  I just want to hold them close to me forever,
and never lose them..  Because that would be the death of me." ...

Wonderful - funny and heartwrenching :-\ all at once. Thanks for this, Janice.

Quote from: mariez
A Beautiful Thing

He found himself collecting them throughout his day, much as he had stuffed his pockets with stones, twigs, and any other odds 'n ends he'd found when he was a boy.  So when L.D.'s hat caught fire on the Fourth of July, or when Bobby told him his favorite knock-knock joke, or when Fayette and her poodle came over in matching outfits, the words and images were carefully stored in that special place in his mind.

For there was nothing in the world that made Jack Twist happier than the sight of a rare, but beautiful, Ennis del Mar smile.

And this drabble is beautiful, too, every part of it ringing true - Jack gathering things as a boy, storing things up to make Ennis smile, and how beautiful it was when Ennis did. Thank you, Marie.
(You gonna tell us sometime how L.D's hat caught fire? ;D)

Quote from: Rogue
"Well maybe you should go out there and look instead of looking in places you've already looked in five times."
"Maybe I will."
I can just see (and hear) them saying this. ;) Thanks!
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2547 on: November 09, 2007, 10:39:32 am »
Hi all,

I know I have not been participating in the drabblefest very much lately...I am doing my own original writing and that is occupying my mind. But I am reading and keeping up, even if I am not posting. For today, try these:

• peanuts
  • dusty
  • wicked

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2548 on: November 09, 2007, 12:08:52 pm »

(You gonna tell us sometime how L.D's hat caught fire? ;D)

Hey, Fern! Yep, it was back on the Fourth of July.  A "good day" for Jack!  ;D  Here's the link:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,7810.1710.html

Ennis had been looking all over the house for the last hour, apparently he had miss placed his work gloves.  as he entered the living room for the fifth time that hour Jack looked up from the book he was reading.
"Ennis what are you doing?"
"Have you seen my gloves? I can't work with out them."
"Did you check the drawer by the back door?"
"Yes"
"The barn?"
"No"
"Maybe I will."

:laugh:  Rogue, that dialogue is spot-on!  Thanks!

Marie

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2549 on: November 09, 2007, 10:21:46 pm »
Hey, Fern! Yep, it was back on the Fourth of July.  A "good day" for Jack!  ;D  Here's the link:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,7810.1710.html

Thanks, Marie! Yep, a very good day. ;) ;D
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air