Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1202849 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #2600 on: December 09, 2007, 01:24:02 pm »
Some Sunday prompts to start a new week:   :)

• "have a nice day"
  • smiley face
  • freezing rain

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2601 on: December 11, 2007, 01:24:55 pm »
Have A Nice Day

He shook his head as he walked to his truck.  What was with all this "have a nice day!" stuff lately?  Seemed like every time he stopped for gas or to get a pack of cigarettes somebody was telling him that.  Just like all those yellow smiling faces that suddenly seemed to be plastered all over the damn place.  Far as he could see, the world was going to hell in a handbasket.

Heading for the post office, he tried not to get his hopes up, but when he saw the postcard with the familiar handwriting he ducked his head, trying to hide the smile that lit his face.

"Good news?"  The woman behind the counter couldn't help asking.   

"Yes ma'am.  He tipped his hat.  "Have a nice day now."

~~~~~~~
130 Words
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2602 on: December 11, 2007, 01:26:45 pm »
Here are a few prompts for today:  :)

• a head of steam
  • homemade bread
  • bacon grease

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2603 on: December 16, 2007, 06:06:53 pm »
These Are a Few of My Favorite Things ….

Ennis was just drifting off when he realized that Jack had his nose buried in his hair and…what the hell….was he sniffing him?

"What're you doing?" he mumbled sleepily.

He could feel the smile on Jack's lips.  "Baby shampoo." 

"Mmm…well, use it on the girls and …"

He couldn't see the blush rising on Ennis's cheeks, but he knew it was there.

"Use it for Bobby, too. Love the way it smells, like homemade bread, rain, coffee, sweet mountain air…." He inhaled again deeply.  ….and Ennis.

Ennis murmured an agreement and nuzzled Jack's neck.   …and Jack.

They faded off into a peaceful slumber, each one breathing in his favorite scent.

~~~~~~~
110 Words

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2604 on: December 18, 2007, 02:10:52 pm »
I'll throw these up for today in the midst of year-end/holiday madness!

• Christmas cards
  • stamps
  • red ink

Marie

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2605 on: December 18, 2007, 02:58:13 pm »
Double the words, guess it's a double drabble!

Ennis hardly ever got mail other than bills and the occasional postcard from Jack, let alone Christmas cards.  But standing in the Post Office he held two cards, with Christmas stamps postmarked Childress Texas, and addressed to him in red ink.  He looked around, wondering what the clerk behind the counter thought of him receiving cards addressed in red ink, but she was busy with a customer mailing a box. 

Outside in his truck he opened them up one at a time.  The first was a night scene, a star shining over a mountain with a small campfire nestled in the fold of the valley below.  Inside Jack wrote, Ennis, yer my shining star showing me the way home, Jack.  The second was a jolly Santa standing with a bag of gifts at his feet before a fireplace where stockings hung.  Inside, Jack wrote, Ennis, yer my gift, can't hardly wait til May when I can open it by the campfire, Jack. 

Ennis found a card at the five and dime, one with an angel on the front, to send to Jack.  Inside he wrote, Merry Christmas hope you like my gift when you get it, Ennis.  He addressed the card in blue ink, and sent it to his angel. 

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2606 on: December 18, 2007, 09:41:50 pm »
Double the words, guess it's a double drabble!

Ennis hardly ever got mail other than bills and the occasional postcard from Jack, let alone Christmas cards.  But standing in the Post Office he held two cards, with Christmas stamps postmarked Childress Texas, and addressed to him in red ink.  He looked around, wondering what the clerk behind the counter thought of him receiving cards addressed in red ink, but she was busy with a customer mailing a box. 

Outside in his truck he opened them up one at a time.  The first was a night scene, a star shining over a mountain with a small campfire nestled in the fold of the valley below.  Inside Jack wrote, Ennis, yer my shining star showing me the way home, Jack.  The second was a jolly Santa standing with a bag of gifts at his feet before a fireplace where stockings hung.  Inside, Jack wrote, Ennis, yer my gift, can't hardly wait til May when I can open it by the campfire, Jack. 

Ennis found a card at the five and dime, one with an angel on the front, to send to Jack.  Inside he wrote, Merry Christmas hope you like my gift when you get it, Ennis.  He addressed the card in blue ink, and sent it to his angel. 

cwby, that was just beautiful!  Thanks for that bit of holiday cheer.

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2607 on: December 18, 2007, 09:46:09 pm »
'Tis the Season

Standing in line at the post office, Jack shifted his package onto one hip and dug in his pocket for the list he'd made.  He had to ship whatever this was off to Lureen's somebody or other – cousin was it? – down in Houston, buy a roll of 13 cent stamps for Christmas cards - might as well get a few 7 cent stamps while he was at it, he needed to send Ennis a postcard soon…..

He worried that Ennis would be alone on Christmas, and hoped he was spending it with his girls.  He remembered he'd said he was going to Alma's for Thanksgiving, so probably so.  The thought of that day made Jack's jaw clench, but he comforted himself with the thought that at least Ennis's Thanksgiving had to have been better than his.

~~~~~~~
135 Words

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2608 on: December 18, 2007, 10:02:06 pm »
          Ennis sat at the table in the small trailer addressing his Christmas cards to his girls.
Red ink on Jenny's.  To my darlin baby girl...He knew that would ruffle her feathers some.  She
never wanted to be considered a baby.  Green ink on Junior's card.  For my darlin big girl, nearly grown now.  He always gave them individual cards, and gifts.  Not the same card or gift.  He wanted
them to feel special.  Each in their own way. 
         He counted out his stamps.  One each for the girls, and one for Jack's card.  To my own ,
lil, darlin.  color don't matter.

100 wds

Beautiful mind

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2609 on: December 18, 2007, 10:56:39 pm »
          Ennis sat at the table in the small trailer addressing his Christmas cards to his girls.
Red ink on Jenny's.  To my darlin baby girl...He knew that would ruffle her feathers some.  She
never wanted to be considered a baby.  Green ink on Junior's card.  For my darlin big girl, nearly grown now.  He always gave them individual cards, and gifts.  Not the same card or gift.  He wanted
them to feel special.  Each in their own way. 
         He counted out his stamps.  One each for the girls, and one for Jack's card.  To my own ,
lil, darlin.  color don't matter.

100 wds

Aww, Janice - I love this!  "my darlin baby" and "my darlin big girl" and "my lil darlin" - the three people Ennis loves in the whole world - all so special to him in their own way.

Thanks,
Marie