Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1184286 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #2650 on: January 16, 2008, 01:35:28 pm »
Windows and Mirrors

He drove slowly down the tree-lined street, tired from a long day of false smiles and hollow words, gazing wistfully at the images he saw through the picture windows… a brother and sister frolicking with a little pup…..a father and son smiling at each other over a checkerboard….Someone once told him that looking through windows was a lot more fun than looking in mirrors. True, that.

A pretty young woman was leaning over a young boy seated at a table, the light from a lamp casting a warm glow on their smiling faces, and he started when the realization struck.  His wife.  His son.  His house.  His life. 

And, yet, once he walked through those doors, he would still be on the outside looking in. 

~~~~~~~
125 Words
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Windows
« Reply #2651 on: January 16, 2008, 10:27:02 pm »

Jack looked out the big picture window in the front room, and watched Ennis, KE, Kurt and Bobby playing touch football. At one point, Ennis broke the rules by jumping on KE, and ended up being carried on KE's back for several yards, before Bobby and Kurt joined in and they all fell in a heap to shouts of laughter from little David in his playpen on the porch. 

Amused at the antics of the two most important men in his life, he turned and headed outside to join the game, humming a tune that just came to him, "He's not heavy, he's my brother." 

105 words

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2652 on: January 17, 2008, 02:13:59 pm »
Jack looked out the big picture window in the front room, and watched Ennis, KE, Kurt and Bobby playing touch football. At one point, Ennis broke the rules by jumping on KE, and ended up being carried on KE's back for several yards, before Bobby and Kurt joined in and they all fell in a heap to shouts of laughter from little David in his playpen on the porch. 

Amused at the antics of the two most important men in his life, he turned and headed outside to join the game, humming a tune that just came to him, "He's not heavy, he's my brother." 

What a happy scene - thanks!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2653 on: January 17, 2008, 02:15:11 pm »
Some Thursday prompts!  :)

• favorite
  • clown
  • soup du jour

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2654 on: January 17, 2008, 05:40:07 pm »
Unburdened

For as long as he could remember, it had been his favorite time of day - watching the moon rise and the sharp edges of the world start to fade, everything turning soft and fluid, and he was comforted by an awareness that secrets and fears, so vulnerable in the harsh light of day, were soon to be blanketed by darkness and tucked away.

As the sun set to rest until morning, burnishing all with a warm glow, it seemed to be telling him that soon he, too, could lay his burdens down, at least for the night. 

S'alright, s'alright.  

~~~~~~~
100 Words

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2655 on: January 18, 2008, 03:13:46 pm »
Some late Friday prompts!

• list
  • numbers
  • organize

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2656 on: January 19, 2008, 03:21:26 pm »
Mind Over Matter

"So, you're going to cover the machinery show on the 21st, right?"  Lureen looked at Jack expectantly as she clicked her ballpoint pen and opened her organizer.

"When's that – next week?  Sure," Jack replied absently, not looking up from his newspaper.

Lureen smiled skeptically.  "I'll make a note to remind you."

"It's all right here, honey."  Jack tapped his forehead with his finger, still reading his paper. 

She rolled her eyes as she got up and added a note to the numbered list on the refrigerator. 

They seemed to be everywhere, Jack mused, as he watched her.  Lists, calendars, schedules.  He never understood the need himself.

But, then, there wasn't much use for calendars when you were constantly counting down the only important days in your mind, and no need for lists when your hopes and dreams all began and ended with one five-letter word.

~~~~~~~
145 Words

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2657 on: January 19, 2008, 04:11:07 pm »
....and some late Saturday prompts!

• give
  • receive
  • accept

Marie

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2658 on: January 19, 2008, 05:02:48 pm »
   He was walking back from the creek, hair wet and dripping with the towel on his wet head. He didn't see Jack, "wonder
where he got off to."  Ennis pondered.  Both horses were still grazing in the small clearing just a few yards away from the
camp.  Just as he started to call out, he saw a rear end crawling backwards out of the tent flap.  Jack emerged just a few
seconds later and saw him walking up the rise, and smiled, that blinding tooth showing expression he was so perfect at.
At the sight of that Ennis smiled in return, with the wry look of wonder in his eyes.."What you up to Twist?"  He asked.
"Oh nuttin much " Jack said in answer.  I wanta give you somethin for your birthday  Since we won't see each other any
more til after yer next birthday.  I hope you will  accept it, cause I really want to give this to you. 
   By this time Ennis's interest was peeked to near anger. " Well what is it Rodeo?"  By now having no idea what Jack
was up to. "Well I need to see it first."  "Well thats just it.  You don't get to see it first.  You gotta say yes first, I promise it
wont hurt ya none."  "Jack?  He said with an air of distrust.  "I promise Cowboy, you'll like it."  "Alright then you better be
right."  "If I don't like it, I ain't keeping it."  Jack smiled again, then told Ennis sit there on the log and come in when I call
ya to the tent... "Alright Jack im trustin ya to not be lying to me."  "I promise I ain't lyin."
   At that Jack disappeared into the tent, and five minutes later called out to Ennis.. "Ok cowboy, time to come in."  Ennis
stood up with his hands on his knees, and raised his full length, and amboled over to the tent.  Knealing down and throwing
back the flap to peer into the darkened tent.  There laying on the zipped together bags lay Jack Twist in all his naked glory.
With that same smile on his face.  Scattered around the tent was sprigs of sage, and in the middle of the tent he lay with a
big bright red bow on the base of his cock.  Ennis had a stupified look on his face and started to laugh, that deep down rumbling laugh that started in his gut, and erupted from his mouth,  He threw himself on Jack with all the glowing lust he had ever felt for this man.  He covered Jack's mouth with his own, and said "I am so glad you think its better to give, and to receive Rodeo."
  Fade out.............

Beautiful mind

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2659 on: January 22, 2008, 01:14:30 pm »
"If I don't like it, I ain't keeping it." 
. . . . .

"I am so glad you think its better to give, and to receive Rodeo." 

:laugh: :laugh:  Janice, this is great!  Very funny, but very touching, too. 

Marie