Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1183290 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #2660 on: January 22, 2008, 01:15:29 pm »
Hey, all!  For today, let's try:

• vision
  • preference
  • community

Marie

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2661 on: January 22, 2008, 05:06:52 pm »
Perfect Vision

Ennis frowned as he squinted at the piece of paper Junior had taped to his steering wheel.  Another note with the phone number of the community health center.  He sighed as he crumpled the paper and tossed it on the seat.  She'd been after him for years to get his eyes checked, but he wished she wouldn't worry so.

His sight was still fine for driving and, truth be told, aside from his girls and his horses, there wasn't much left in the world he wanted to see that clearly, much preferring those visions he could conjure in his mind's eye. 

~~~~~~~
100 Words
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline outrider

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • riding beyond the pale, beyond the veil.
« Reply #2662 on: January 23, 2008, 03:31:30 pm »
   After being broad sided by grief and getting some time to navigate the shock, I have to remember that death is an imposter...

...that the value of one's life always, has always, existed in eternity;

...that eternity continues to be peopled with spirits along with the value of their persons;

...that the 'undiscovered country from whose borne no traveller 'er returns' is the destination of us all, and that in that context we can look forward to being re-united again. 

... and if, perhaps, there are doors and portals; if there are access points; if there are passes we can take - mystic passes in substance; if the gulf between being in the body and in spirit is not as large as we would otherwise believe... then maybe, just maybe..., we are not disconnected from those we love... ever. 

Grief and sorrow for me in this life, at the disconnects and passings; have long since had their back broken... the mountain of loneliness, at the loss of friends has been broken. 

---------------

Well, friend..., my courageous young warrior-leader, my knight, my priest in search of truth, my taciturn cowboy..., a change of address for sure, another change of role... 

From where you are now, maybe you can help me through this... till we are both whole and undivided... till we both see each other as we are... till our fellowship in spirit is unbroken... till we both stand firmly and completely in Life. 

Glad for you that your troubles are over... sad for me, for a bit, till this passes too... 

Say "Hello" to everyone for me...  I hope they've found you... look for them if they haven't... 

Come to me in dream, sliding panel after panel before my spirit's eyes.  Come to me in waking vision...  Come to me in dreamtime, mate.

Come to me in the unhurried moment - in "everyday's most quiet need", when my spirit needs to reach - "feeling out of sight, for the ends of Being and ideal Grace". 

Come and we'll have breakfast again, in summer at Riding Mountain and lunch in the Catskills...  Come and get cleaned up at Caliper and Killarney, the Spruce Hills, White Lake.  Ride with me in early mornings in Calgary and the foothills and late nights...  We'll do another commute on O'Connor - you can drive the Pottery Road this time and hope the brakes hold.  We'll walk, Heath, around the bend by the poplars, again.  Just come to me with everyone... and 'hang'.  Stay with me on this trail. 

Don't know if you still need me, brother... but... 

Gonna need ya close for a bit, friend... 

Isn't it odd...  Me as Ennis and you as Jack... Me left behind and you passed on.

I swear, Heath...  I swear.

Beyond the pale of human knowledge,
beyond the veil of human thought,
a whole mystic dimension.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2663 on: January 23, 2008, 05:35:07 pm »
Thank you so much, outrider.  That was absolutely beautiful and immensely moving. 

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2664 on: January 23, 2008, 05:39:37 pm »
This is a companion to the drabble entitled "Dress Codes"  that can be found here: 

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,7810.2290.html

Too Soon

Jack began to look forward to seeing him in school every day.  He didn't always wear striped socks or short pants.  Sometimes he dressed like everyone else.  And sometimes he wore a purple hat.  But there was just something about him.  Rough-edged but gentle.  Soft-spoken but smart. Always in motion, but somehow calm.  But most of all, he made everyone smile, made some hard days a little easier, and life a little better.

Then one day, he was suddenly gone. Jack didn't know why he'd left, but there were a few things he did know for sure. He'd gone away too soon. He would miss him.  And he'd never forget him.  Ever.

Dagi

« Reply #2665 on: January 24, 2008, 08:17:36 pm »
But most of all, he made everyone smile, made some hard days a little easier, and life a little better.

:( :) Beautiful, Marie.

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2666 on: January 24, 2008, 11:42:25 pm »
outrider and marie,

thank you both for your beautiful thoughts and words

fern
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2667 on: January 26, 2008, 04:16:21 pm »
(((((Dagi))))) and (((((Fern)))))

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2668 on: January 26, 2008, 04:22:11 pm »
Sorry there are no prompts for this, it kind of just came to me...

Life

As soon as Junior opened the door he saw her red, puffy eyes and tired face, and his heart started beating faster.  "What's wrong, what happened…?"

She folded her arms as though trying to find warmth and shrugged.  "Just found out last night.  A friend of Kurt's died suddenly.  Can't believe it."

"Sorry to hear that, darlin." 

"Thanks, Daddy.  It got me to thinking…" She paused.  "Never mind."

"Whut?"

Junior smiled shyly.  "Kind of silly, maybe, but times like this I get kind of… I don't know, philosophical or something, ya know?" 

Ennis nodded and met her eyes directly, and she was relieved, and heartened, to see understanding in his eyes.

"So…I was thinking on something I learned back in high school.  Probably the only thing I remember from science class.  It was something to do with energy, the first law of something or other…."  She shook her head.  "Anyway, I guess energy can't be destroyed, it can only change form, and I always liked that idea, so it stuck with me. 'Cause life is like energy, right?"

Ennis stood still for a long moment before gathering Junior into a warm hug, reveling in the feelings of her precious breath against his neck and her beautiful heart beating strongly along with his own. 

A wistful smile crossed his face as he remembered the energy of Jack Twist.  Vibrant. True.  Pure. And the sense of pleasure from having Jack in his dream the night before heightened, then mellowed and unfolded, covering him with a sweet sense of peace. 

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2669 on: January 31, 2008, 11:04:56 pm »
Today, January 31st, is the one year anniversary of the drabblefest! One year...amazing! Things have been quiet the past few days, which is understandable given the circumstances.

When we feel like getting back to drabbling again, I thought it might be fun to use the very first prompts ever, from one year ago:

* bitter cold
    * snow
    * winter wheat

When folks are ready...

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!