Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1183487 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #2780 on: April 03, 2008, 12:57:44 pm »
Some random Thursday prompts!

• price tag
  • return
  • receipt

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2781 on: April 07, 2008, 12:40:46 pm »
Blood and Tears

She hadn't had a new dress in years and she'd saved for months to buy this one, checking the rack every time she came into town to make sure it was still there, peeking at the price tag in hopes it would go on sale.  So it was with a sigh of relief and more than a bit of guilt at her self-indulgence that she gathered her package and headed for the door. 

That's when she spotted it – a honey gold and brown checked shirt with buttons the color of his eyes.  He'd never owned a new shirt, only hand-me-downs from his older brother with re-sewn pockets, mismatched buttons, patched elbows and, until he was six or so, bloodstains on the shirtsleeves from their daily fights.  It was an easy decision.

"Excuse me, I just bought this dress, but I'd like to return it and ……"

She smiled as she left the store, imagining how handsome he would look in his new shirt, never knowing that the vision in her mind was the only one she'd ever have.

Four days later, Ennis del Mar wore his first brand new shirt for the first time.  The pockets never used, the brown buttons all alike, the elbows unpatched, and the sleeves free of blood.

They were, instead, covered with tearstains.

~~~~~~~
218 Words
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2782 on: April 07, 2008, 12:43:26 pm »
Hi everyone!  Some Monday prompts to consider:

• peek
  • peak
  • pique

Marie

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2783 on: April 07, 2008, 09:01:51 pm »
Blood and Tears

She hadn't had a new dress in years and she'd saved for months to buy this one, checking the rack every time she came into town to make sure it was still there, peeking at the price tag in hopes it would go on sale.  So it was with a sigh of relief and more than a bit of guilt at her self-indulgence that she gathered her package and headed for the door. 

That's when she spotted it – a honey gold and brown checked shirt with buttons the color of his eyes.  He'd never owned a new shirt, only hand-me-downs from his older brother with re-sewn pockets, mismatched buttons, patched elbows and, until he was six or so, bloodstains on the shirtsleeves from their daily fights.  It was an easy decision.

"Excuse me, I just bought this dress, but I'd like to return it and ……"

She smiled as she left the store, imagining how handsome he would look in his new shirt, never knowing that the vision in her mind was the only one she'd ever have.

Four days later, Ennis del Mar wore his first brand new shirt for the first time.  The pockets never used, the brown buttons all alike, the elbows unpatched, and the sleeves free of blood.

They were, instead, covered with tearstains.

Utterly convincing that it happened, just like that.
Beautiful, and subtle. And resonant in so many ways.
Thank you so much, Marie.
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2784 on: April 09, 2008, 07:33:43 pm »
Fern,  thanks so much for your kind words!  I'm glad to hear it sounded believable. 

Speaking of subtle and beautiful, can I hope for another Quicksilver chapter anytime in the near future?   :)

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2785 on: April 09, 2008, 07:38:10 pm »
Modern Man

Alma was brushing her hair when Myrna rushed into the bedroom, locking the door behind her before pulling a magazine from inside her robe.

"Come on!" she bounced down on the bed, giggling softly. "My daddy has a whole slew of these hidden under his work bench.  He'd die if he knew I found them." 

Alma sat down in time to see the words "Modern Man" before Myrna start flipping through the pages.  "What on earth…..?" 

"Well, why do you think I wanted you to sleep over tonight?  You're getting married in a few months and we've got to get you ready!"  Myrna's face was flushed as she nudged her friend.  "There's all kinds of stuff in here about what men, ya know, like."

"Myrna!"  Alma was slightly scandalized, but curious nonetheless and she dared a peek as Myrna flipped through pages.  "Oh my – I'm never gonna look anything like that!"   

Myrna scoffed. "He's a man, isn't he? And according to an article, he's at his sexual peak, so you can just bet he's been spending every night up on that cold mountain dreaming of you" – she raised her eyebrows and gave Alma a meaningful look – "and your wedding night." 

~~~~~~~
200 Words

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2786 on: April 10, 2008, 05:53:02 am »
Modern Man

Myrna scoffed. "He's a man, isn't he? And according to an article, he's at his sexual peak, so you can just bet he's been spending every night up on that cold mountain dreaming of you" – she raised her eyebrows and gave Alma a meaningful look – "and your wedding night." 

~~~~~~~
200 Words

One can be wrong.
One can be totally wrong.
And one can be Myrna. (And poor Alma)

Hm. Call me a bad person (and a bad reader, sorry) I find it funny. "At his sexual peak" - indeed  ;D

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2787 on: April 10, 2008, 01:33:26 pm »

One can be wrong.
One can be totally wrong.
And one can be Myrna. (And poor Alma)

Hm. Call me a bad person (and a bad reader, sorry) I find it funny. "At his sexual peak" - indeed  ;D

Chrissi, I would never call you a bad person!  And you're an astute reader.  As sad - and pathetic - as it is, there is a bit of my twisted (sorry!) humor in the irony.  Thanks!

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2788 on: April 10, 2008, 01:34:37 pm »
For today, let's try:

• impulse
  • preoccupied
  • aware

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2789 on: April 14, 2008, 06:43:03 pm »
Force of Nature

Preoccupied with watching a drop of sweat make its way slowly down Ennis's throat, Jack reached for the hot skillet, but quickly pulled away.  "Damn!"

Y'alright, bud?"  Ennis frowned as Jack reached for a wet cloth.

Obeying an impulse he didn't stop to question, Ennis leaned over and softly kissed Jack's hand, caressing it with his fingers before wrapping it gently.  Their eyes locked as he lifted his head, and the moment passed quickly; but not before it coursed its way through their veins where it joined all other such moments, and where it would remain.

Unspoken, but treasured nonetheless.

~~~~~~~
100 Words