Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1199030 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #2800 on: April 23, 2008, 01:20:07 am »
SPRING 1990

Home Run Ennis

Hi Mark,
I love little every-day stories where they do have that sweet life. Thanks for drabbling. :)

"Don't know....guess things turn out ok fer me....." Jack looks at Ennis. "Can't see how Ah'd ever meet up with ya on a baseball field....yep...chances of that ....pretty slim.....seem more likely pennys fallin' from the sky 'n runin' in ta ya on a stadium field." Ennis laughing,  slaps Jack on the back.

Aww, that's so sweet. Love how Ennis makes such a poignant declaration combined with good-natured teasing. 8)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2801 on: April 23, 2008, 07:36:34 am »
Hi Mark - I'm with Chrissi.  It's such a pleasure to read your slice-of-sweet-life stories, which always contain true, touching moments wrapped in natural, easy  humor.

As the pair approached the front steps Ennis turned to Jack.  "Jack....now don't ya be worrin' none....we'll git ya playin' real good in no time....you'll be fine....don't mind teachin' ya...you be a big help to those kids....make a baseball player outta you yet!"

:)
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2802 on: April 23, 2008, 07:42:17 am »
Good Morning, all - some Wednesday prompts:

• emphatic
  • opportunity
  • indication

Marie

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2803 on: April 23, 2008, 02:24:28 pm »
Those Two Little Words

The words had been his mama's most emphatic agreement and affirmation.  She hadn't used them often – an indication of how rarely she'd had opportunities for enthusiasm – which is why they'd made such an impression on him.

Thinking back, he couldn't remember a time when he'd thought of those words, much less used them – an indication of how rarely he'd had opportunities for enthusiasm in his own life.

But he only had to read the first word on the postcard, "Friend," and those two little words sprang into his mind as naturally as a compass points towards true north.

"you bet."

~~~~~~~
100 Words

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #2804 on: April 23, 2008, 04:42:23 pm »
 Good Job Mariez!!!! Very nice!!! I cant figure out the quotes right.

Added photo to mine.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

« Reply #2805 on: April 23, 2008, 06:22:56 pm »
September 18th, 1990

A bit sunburned Ennis and Jack step off the plane in Denver uncharacteristically dressed in Hawaiian shirts, khaki shorts and leather sandals. The pair returning from a week in Maui, a trip won in a contest sponsored by a major farm animal vitamin supplier, for guessing the number of vitamin tablets in a large mason jar. Ennis was very proud of the fact he guessed it exactly correct, never failing to point out to Jack that he was off buy more than 400. A lifetime on horses taught both good balance, after a few tries managing to stand up on their rented surfboard without a lesson.  Ennis achieved this first, again pointing out his prowess to Jack, always challenging him that he could ride the longest, venturing out most mornings in their Avis Toyota Corolla wagon in search of the tallest surf. 'Ya like riddin' those waves don'tcha Ennis?' Jack would say. 'Yep....sure do!....but not as much as rid......' Ennis would reply without thinking. 'As much as what ?...what did ya say Ennis?...as much as....'  Huh?..... Damn you Twist!.... ought'a hog tie ya....." On the first day Jack had said 'Gotta get us some of them Aloha shirts...cant be looking like we just stepped off a horse....don't even have us no shorts.' At a shop near the hotel 'How 'bout this one Ennis? see all them palm trees, and leaves in the design." Jack holding out a Tori Richard lawn shirt. 'It's over thirty dollars!...that's to much fer just one shirt!' 'It's ok Ennis...'member we got some spending money from the contest...we got enough.' "Well....all right then...where we gonna wear these back home?' 'Don't know...but we sure get use of of 'm here.' Jack replied picking out three a piece.

The two retrieve their luggage head out to the old Ford pickup, the one Ennis had long ago given to Andy now an extra vehicle for the ranch, Andy mostly using Jack's truck,  left in the long term parking garage. His old truck fired right up for Ennis as if eager to leave the crowded lot, return to the open space of the ranch to serve a faithful friend. As Ennis merged out onto the highway Jack sitting back in the seat, left leg resting on the transmission tunnel, spoke up. "So there Ennis...did ya like Hawaii?"

"Yep Ah guess....but."

"But  what Ennis?"

"But...Ah guess Ah like it here better......with...you..."

"Was with ya there..." Jack tilting his head west.

"Ah know...just like it here....better......with you....'

Jack looks at Ennis, Ennis looks back then at the road."This...here....with you ....our home....ours..." Ennis can no longer speak.

Jack gently reaches for Ennis's hand, links the fingers together, squeezes tight, rests it on his leg, gazes out the open window at the passing landscape, content. Two cowboys riding the their pickup  in Hawaiian shirts, shorts and sandals returning home from a trip across the sea.

This is a repeat from last summer but I couldn't resist using the picture.

Mark
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Baseball and Maui
« Reply #2806 on: April 23, 2008, 08:57:16 pm »
Afternoon, JP.

Well, sure enjoyed your last two "short" stories, especially with the pictures.  Hope you keep them coming.  Once in a while I go back and re-read your group of stories about them.  Like "New Years 1983-1984" and "Ennis and Jack in the Knight", and would like to see the rest of "Shirts, Suits & Silver"  [hint, hint ;) ]. 

Thanks again. 

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2807 on: April 29, 2008, 01:10:04 pm »
Hey everyone.  Let's try these prompts:

• yes, sir
  • notch
  • rule

:)
Marie

Offline jpwagoneer1964

« Reply #2808 on: April 30, 2008, 01:36:07 am »
May 1989

3AM

Jack awakes with a start. "Ennis....Wake up...Ennis...." Jack shakes him.

"ZZZzzzzzzzzzz......zzzzzzzzzzzz........zzzzzzz"

"ENNIS!!!....wake up..."

"Whut....whut is it Jack?....If yer gonna say Ah's snorin' again.....you know Ah don't snore...."

"Course not...yer snorin' don't matter ta me......don't think I could sleep witho...."

"Whut?"

"Nothing.....Ennis...had this dream....it was a long time from now....Andy, Rita their kids all gown up....moved away....families of their own...both of them left as well.....some musta happen' ta me....think I was already dead lookin' down on ya....you's here all alone....old....an all...."

"S'alright Jack....wez both here.....were ok...."

"I know but......Ennis....promise me if some happin' ta me ....you ....you won't stay here alone....you'll"

"Twist!....Is there somin' yer not tellin' me?....Yer sick and Ah don't know it?...cause if there is....and ya kept it from....might just kick yer ass ta heaven quicker that ya thought....."

"No....no Ennis I's alright....in the dream you was really old....I just ....wanted...."

"Damn you Jack....gettin' me all upset ....middle o' the night an all......Just go back ta sleep will ya?"  Ennis squeezes his arms around Jack   to make him still. "Shhhhh...."

In a minute Jacks content even breathing of sleep take over. Wide awake now Ennis looks around their room. 'Damn that Twist....Ah teach him ta wake me up ...gettin' me all upset" He thinks to himself, then smiles. Ennis pokes Jack in the ribs. "Hey Twist....wake up!"

Dazed in sleep Jack responds "What...what is it Ennis"

"Just thought of somethin'....if anythin' ever happen ta ya....might have Scott move in..."

"What!...Who?...Scott?"

"You know Scott from the feed store....tall young man....dark hair....looks ta be real strong fella.......Be a real help here on the ranch.......played baseball fer the high school team...remember when you an me we went ta some of the games..."

"He's what 18, 19...yer 45"

"Same age as ya were when Ah met ya...Yep, think that 'd work out real good....'Sides be older when yer gone...mebe 22...23. ....just when da ya think....."

"Damn you Ennis...."

Ennis rolls over leaning the back of his head against Jacks chin, takes his arm around his chest." Don't ya worry none...now get some sleep....oh Jack?"

"Yeah Ennis...."

"C'n ya remind me ta do my sit ups in the mornin'? "
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 12:49:11 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Rules
« Reply #2809 on: April 30, 2008, 09:40:21 pm »

Riding through the notch in the forested hills, they gazed at the ranch spread across the green valley floor before them.  As a rule, he kept his emotions in check, but not now, not riding up here alone with his one and only. Ours, he thought, with his heart swelling, not bad for a rodeo fuckup and a dirt-poor orphan. Sure am glad I said 'yes, sir' and not 'no way in hell' last time he asked about that sweet life.  Laughing he spurred Cigar Butt and yelled, "Beat ya home!" "Not a chance," Jack yelled back, urging Twister forward. 

[100 words]