Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1184241 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #2820 on: May 13, 2008, 12:59:15 pm »
Stop, Look, Listen!

Look both ways before crossing the street... don't talk to strangers.... stay on the straight and narrow ….

It seemed Alma was forever reminding the girls of this 'n that; they were even taught such things at school, and truth be told he did his own share of worrying. 

But it also seemed to him that no one had ever had to tell him, he'd learned just by living.  He hoped it would be different for his little girls, because he knew better than most what could happen when you were careless and missed even one curve in a road.

~~~~~~~
100 Words
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2821 on: May 13, 2008, 01:04:23 pm »
A few more prompts to consider:   :)

• should
  • could
  • would

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2822 on: May 14, 2008, 01:54:46 pm »
A Friend in Need….

He paced back and forth in front of the telephone booth, the hard sound of the gavel ringing in his ears, with no escape from the stinging indictment he felt so deeply.   He didn't know of anyone in his family who'd ever been divorced – the word alone filled him not only with a sense of shame, but of abject failure. 

Should he call him?  Could he?  What would he say if his wife answered?   He swallowed hard as he dialed, the need to hear the voice of the only true friend he'd ever had overpowering any hesitation. 

Jack would understand. 

~~~~~~~
100 Words

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2823 on: May 15, 2008, 01:45:05 pm »
And for today .....  :)

• Girl Scout cookies
  • crumbs
  • prize

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2824 on: May 16, 2008, 02:01:42 pm »
Partiality

There was something about the way she stood that caught his eye.  Jack paused on his way into the store and watched as her gangly arms straightened the boxes of Girl Scout cookies, arranging them into neat stacks on the small card table.  Eyes downcast and sun shining onto her blonde curls, she kept sneaking hopeful peeks at the shoppers who passed by.

"Hi there!  How's business?"

She started, looking up long enough for him to see a pair of soft brown eyes, before she quickly lowered her head again.  "Um, okay….I guess."

"Well, whaddya recommend, honey?"

She couldn't help but relax to the warmth of his grin.  "Um, I like the shortbread." She shrugged and gave the hint of a smile.  "But they're just plain so they're not very popular."

Jack winked as he reached for his wallet.  "I'm partial to 'em myself.  I'll take every box you've got."

~~~~~~~
150 Words

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2825 on: May 16, 2008, 04:15:40 pm »
Partiality

There was something about the way she stood that caught his eye.  Jack paused on his way into the store and watched as her gangly arms straightened the boxes of Girl Scout cookies, arranging them into neat stacks on the small card table.  Eyes downcast and sun shining onto her blonde curls, she kept sneaking hopeful peeks at the shoppers who passed by.

"Hi there!  How's business?"

She started, looking up long enough for him to see a pair of soft brown eyes, before she quickly lowered her head again.  "Um, okay….I guess."

"Well, whaddya recommend, honey?"

She couldn't help but relax to the warmth of his grin.  "Um, I like the shortbread." She shrugged and gave the hint of a smile.  "But they're just plain so they're not very popular."

Jack winked as he reached for his wallet.  "I'm partial to 'em myself.  I'll take every box you've got."

~~~~~~~
150 Words

Oh Marie, that's so damn good. Loved this one, thanks for sharing.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2826 on: May 19, 2008, 01:19:16 pm »
Glad you liked it, Chrissi  :) It felt good to write something a little more upbeat; sometimes I depress myself! LOL!

Let's see what these prompts can do:

• open
  • close
  • creak

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2827 on: May 21, 2008, 02:12:08 pm »
An Open Gate

May 1983
Lightning Flat, Wyoming

He wiped the sweat from his brow before testing the gate again, adding more oil to the creaking hinges, his heart squeezing with the realization that the only person he wanted to see pass through it never would. 

September 1983
Lightning Flat, Wyoming

…..help his daddy on the ranch for a week fix the gates ….

Mrs. Twist's words came back to him as he closed the gate carefully behind him, the creaking hinges loosening from the post.  He stopped to run one hand gently over the splintered wood, his heart squeezing along with his grip on the paper bag he held in the other.

~~~~~~~
100 Words

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2828 on: May 21, 2008, 02:15:17 pm »
And for today:   :)

• pensive
  • penchant
  • permeate

Marie

Offline stonebiscuit

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2829 on: May 22, 2008, 02:04:03 am »
The snowy slopes swallowed the silhouetted figures only distinguished from the shadows by the dancing embers of thier fire. Ennis rose pensively, his being belonged to the boy on the other side of the burning stones. Kneeling beside Jack together they gazed toward the rippled water. Ennis took the battered harmonica from Jack's lips, his penchant was for his friends touch now, not his serenade. Sharing their lonely love not even the whisping smoke could permeate their embrace.