Author Topic: Happy Groundhog Day!  (Read 13869 times)

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
Happy Groundhog Day!
« on: February 02, 2007, 05:15:55 am »
Groundhog Day 2007....Friday February 2

February 2 is here! It's time to get ready for the longtime annual Pennsylvania tradition -- GROUNDHOG DAY! Join in the celebration of the 121st edition as Phil prepares to emerge from hibernation and predict six more weeks of winter or an early spring.

Groundhog Day Fun Facts:

• If the groundhog sees his shadow on Groundhog Day, it is regarded as an omen of six more weeks of bad weather and returns to his hole (after a long winter's sleep).

• If the groundhog does NOT see his shadow, it is regarded as a sign of spring and will stay above ground.

• During Prohibition Phil threatened to impose 60 weeks of winter on the community if he wasn't allowed a drink.

• In 1981 Phil wore a yellow ribbon in honor of the American hostages in Iran.

• Phil traveled to Washington DC in 1986 to meet with President Reagan. He was joined by Groundhog Club President Jim Means, Al Anthony and Bill Null.

• Other prognosticating groundhogs across the country include Staten Island Chuck (New York City), Wiarton Willie (Wiarton, Ontario) and General Beauregard Lee (Snellville, Georgia) | More Famous Groundhogs

• In 1993, Columbia Pictures released the movie Groundhog Day starring Bill Murray.

• Phil appeared on the Oprah Winfrey show in 1995.

• In the years following the release of the movie, record crowds numbering as high as 30,000 have visited Gobbler's Knob in Punxsutawney!

• In 2001, Phil's prediction was shown live on the JumboTron at Times Square in New York City.

• Pennsylvania Governor Ed Rendell attended the ceremonies, making him the first sitting governor ever to do so.

Groundhog Fun Facts:

• The average groundhog is 20 inches long and normally weighs from 12 to 15 pounds. Punxsutawney Phil weighs about 20 pounds and is 22 inches long.

• Groundhogs are covered with coarse grayish hairs (fur) tipped with brown or sometimes dull red. They have short ears, a short tail, short legs, and are surprisingly quick. Their jaws are exceptionally strong.

• A groundhog's diet consists of lots of greens, fruits, and vegetables and very little water. Most of their liquids come from dewy leaves.

• A groundhog can whistle when it is alarmed. Groundhogs also whistle in the spring when they begin courting.

• Insects do not bother groundhogs and germs pretty much leave them alone. They are resistant to the plagues that periodically wipe out large numbers of wild animals. One reason for this is their cleanliness.

• Groundhogs are one of the few animals that really hibernate. Hibernation is not just a deep sleep. It is actually a deep coma, where the body temperature drops to a few degrees above freezing, the heart barely beats, the blood scarcely flows, and breathing nearly stops.

• Young Groundhogs are usually born in mid-April or May, and by July they are able to go out on their own. The size of the litter is 4 to 9. A baby groundhog is called a kit or a cub.

• A groundhog's life span is normally 6 to 8 years. Phil receives a drink of a magical punch every summer during the annual Groundhog Picnic, which gives him 7 more years of life.

http://www.groundhog.org/
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 05:25:30 am by dot-matrix »
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Happy Groundhog Day!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 01:02:12 pm »
I tried to get to the official site, but it's too busy.  ALot of ppl must be checking it out.

• If the groundhog does NOT see his shadow, it is regarded as a sign of spring and will stay above ground.
That's what  yahoo.com news said, he did not see his shawdow. I don't buy it. Think it's a late winter just getting into high gear.

I used to attend a Groundhog Day theme party every year.  One room was made up in winter attire. Twigs, stuff draped in black, tv picture all "snowed"up.

The other room was spring-like. Flowers. Easter colors, stuff like that. It was all cleverly done.

I think the food and "spirits" were rather typical. Cucumber sandwiches, stuff like that. I mean, what's are you suppose to serve at a G.H. Day party.  ??? 

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 01:18:20 pm »

I mean, what's are you suppose to serve at a G.H. Day party.  ??? 

Why, roast groundhog, of course.  ;D

Punxsutawny Phil is a fake with a really good press agent.

All True Believers know that the only true weather prognosticating groundhog leads a quiet, retiring existence along the banks of the Octoraro Creek, near Quarryville, in southern Lancaster County, in Southeastern Pennsylvania. He reveals his prediction only to the select members of the Slumbering Groundhog Lodge of Quarryville. I'll have to check with my dad to see what was this year's prediction.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 09:15:23 pm »
YIPEE!!!!

Phil didn't see his shadow, and neither did the other groundhog... I forget his name.

It's going to be an early spring for sure!!!

:P   :P   :P
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 09:27:01 pm »
I sure hope its an early spring.

But here where I am it is going to be in the 20's during the day and aroud 8 degrees at night all next week
 :o :o :o :o

And I can't stand the cold.

So when will this early spring start ??? ??? ???

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 11:04:38 pm »

March 11. That's not a whole lot earlier, but, by law, that's the date when we go back to Daylight Saving Time this year, instead of having to wait till the beginning of April.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 11:21:44 pm »
I sure hope its an early spring.

But here where I am it is going to be in the 20's during the day and aroud 8 degrees at night all next week
 :o :o :o :o

And I can't stand the cold.

You must live south of me Marlb42, because it's going to be a nice balmy 12 degrees here tomorrow... even colder than that on Sunday.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 11:30:15 pm »
March 11. That's not a whole lot earlier, but, by law, that's the date when we go back to Daylight Saving Time this year, instead of having to wait till the beginning of April.  ;D

Yes, I heard Punxsutawny Phil has now been digitally linked to the atomic clock in Boulder, CO.

He doesn't like it though because there was only one place on him where they could insert the USB cable.  ;)

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 03:27:06 pm »
You must live south of me Marlb42, because it's going to be a nice balmy 12 degrees here tomorrow... even colder than that on Sunday.

HI, yeah I am in the New York area, so 25 is real cold especially since it has been so warm here up till a week or so.

But yeah 12 is worse then 25, I have no idea where you are.

I do think for sure that it used to be much much colder around here when I was small.  I remember a pond that people used to ice skate on all winter.

Doesn't happen now (despite this week)

Maybe Al Gore really is right ??? ??? ??? ;D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 03:35:53 pm »
HI, yeah I am in the New York area, so 25 is real cold especially since it has been so warm here up till a week or so.

But yeah 12 is worse then 25, I have no idea where you are.

I do think for sure that it used to be much much colder around here when I was small.  I remember a pond that people used to ice skate on all winter.

Doesn't happen now (despite this week)

Maybe Al Gore really is right ??? ??? ??? ;D

I'm in Indianapolis. So, I guess I'm actually south of you. Maybe this "artic blast" hasn't made its way to New York yet.

Hopefully it won't. Trust me, you don't want it!  :)