Author Topic: Coming out storyline in Brit soap 'Coronation Street'  (Read 31186 times)

Offline saucycobblers

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
Coming out storyline in Brit soap 'Coronation Street'
« on: February 05, 2007, 02:26:08 pm »
Hi folks!

I came across this on YouTube yesterday and had to post it for all of you who haven't already seen it. Some wonderful person has posted the entirety of one of the best storylines of Brit soap 'Coronation Street'. It's gripping, sensitively handled and beautifully acted by the two young leads (Bruno Langley and Tina O'Brien) and deals with a teenager's coming out.

I don't want to say too much about the story and spoil it for new viewers, but basically it's set in Manchester in the UK, and concerns a very bright young 18 year old lad (Todd) who's decided to forego University in order to set up home with his 16 year old girlfriend (Sarah) and her young daughter by her first boyfriend. At this point in the story Sarah is pregnant with their child... and then her older brother Nick returns from his stint living in Canada.

Each part is less than 10 minutes long (the relevant scenes have been spliced together) and you really need to watch them in sequence to feel the full impact of the story. I challenge you not to be totally gripped by this...

PART 1

PART 2
&mode=related&search=
PART 3
&mode=related&search=
PART 4
&mode=related&search=
PART 5
&mode=related&search=
PART 6
&mode=related&search=
PART 7
&mode=related&search=
PART 8
&mode=related&search=
PART 9
&mode=related&search=
PART 10
&mode=related&search=
PART 11
&mode=related&search=
PART 12
&mode=related&search=
PART 13
&mode=related&search=
PART 14
&mode=related&search=
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline saucycobblers

Re: Coming out storyline in Brit soap 'Coronation Street'
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 02:17:06 pm »
Do the bump! 8)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 03:15:28 pm »
oooh! i might sit and watch this again!!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline saucycobblers

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 09:29:45 am »
You won't be disappointed Kelda! I was completely hooked and I already knew what happened in the end. Watching the edited version of the story made it an even more intense experience. Bruno Langley is such a superb actor, and I was moved to tears several times.

Let me know what you think!  :)

Offline Andrew

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 08:59:10 am »
I did enjoy this, Nicky, thanks for putting it up, and I certainly don't watch any television series normally.  It does help to have it all put together into its own two-hour standalone story.  I got started one weeknight...and watched the whole thing in one sitting! ("I'll just take one more, they're so small...")  And last night...I watched half of them again!  Of course as a United Statesian I could have claimed I was taking a language course...and you have to review your language skills if you don't want to lose them.

There must have been a little more lead-in before the first section, more of the Todd and Sarah and her mother story?  One thing that I don't feel was adequately scripted was what led up to Todd's first kiss.  But it got better and better, and Karl's part was very well written and acted.  Todd's mum was excellent too, and the whole thing would almost have been worth it for her line, "Men!  You can't trust any of them.  You know, one man in a couple is bad enough, but the thought of two of them, one on either side, I just dread to think!" 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 10:08:13 am by Andrew »

Offline saucycobblers

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 09:48:40 am »
I love that line too Andrew  :). Eileen (Todd's mum) is a wonderful character - I always enjoy any storyline involving her. I'm so glad you decided to watch  :D - told ya it was addictive!!

In real time Todd and Nick's first kiss had a longer build up, because of course watching it like this you miss all the stuff where the characters are discussed by other characters but the characters themselves aren't there.

So the Manchester accents didn't give you too much trouble then? ;)

Offline Andrew

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 09:22:10 pm »
I think there is a completely slurred line in every episode which I just can't make out at all, but I get the bulk of the dialog.  Last year I was working through Jonathan Harvey's plays and I found a good online dictionary of British slang which helped a lot.  I enjoy that accent and it adds so much flavor and place to the story. 

I went to Youtube and did searches; there are a few other bits of related episodes with these characters that filled in a few other things.  And there are a lot of Todd and Karl tribute videos with various songs - a lot of people have felt the chemistry between those two! 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 09:29:12 pm by Andrew »

Offline saucycobblers

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 08:38:27 am »
And there are a lot of Todd and Karl tribute videos with various songs - a lot of people have felt the chemistry between those two! 

They did have great chemistry didn't they? That last scene between them kills me every time... :'(

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 01:03:33 pm »
I'm gonna be checking out all the video links tonight.  :)

Thank you Nicky!  :-*

Offline Andrew

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 01:13:48 pm »
Nicky, can I use you for a cribsheet / pony / foreign language instructor? ;)

I can't make out what Todd says in the fourth episode right at 8 minutes, in the pub after Todd hangs up and Karl says, 'Aw, sweet!'   Todd says something like 'make a deal of it'  And Karl in reply says, 'I like pasta.  Doesn't mean I eat it every day'!!! What was that in response to?

(You can tell I am starting to get fixated on this story when I don't want to miss even one line)

Sometimes it seems you have to know the slang even before you hear it so you can make the sounds into words. 
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 11:28:42 pm by Andrew »