Author Topic: Coming out storyline in Brit soap 'Coronation Street'  (Read 31229 times)

Offline Andrew

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Coming out storyline in Brit soap 'Coronation Street'
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2007, 02:52:46 pm »
For any of you Northerners (UK) who liked Bruno Langley as Todd...there are recent reports that he is working for the time being as a bartender in the Atlas Bar in Manchester.   Who knows if it is true or a publicity trick? Or simple misidentification?  I know most British actors count themselves lucky to get one acting job a year.  Bruno did do a long tour last year of the play A Taste of Honey by Shelagh Delaney, which is set in Salford.  I suppose he is having to fight being only considered for Greater Manchester roles.

If it is true he is at the bar, I suppose anyone in he area now has the chance to give him an appreciative word.  Or an extravagant tip.  Or just peep shyly. 

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2007, 11:34:26 pm »
I found a site that summarizes every scene with Todd and Karl in it.   It has downloads as well, of some new scenes.  A lot of things have even more meaning in the context of the additional scenes.

http://www.chrisfinchluvr.co.uk/toddandkarl/

Thanks, Andrew.  This is great! 
Biggest surprise for me (and definitely for Todd's mum, too):  Sarah and Jason....  :)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2007, 05:00:00 am »
I am *so* loving going through the videos and getting a better insight into the relationship between Todd and Karl.
I really like the "Goodbye Karl" scenes .. I have replayed it over and over like 4 times.
It feels so real ..  :)

The "sink pinning" and "door pinning" scenes are fun too!  ;D

Ok, I better get back to it.

Night!

Offline Andrew

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2007, 10:09:16 pm »
Milli, it's such a balm to find out that someone else is enjoying this as much as I am.  You too, Fran!  I didn't realize until this week how ready I was for a fresh obsession.   Maybe, as an unconscious anniversary celebration of that other one which will never grow old. 

I spent much of Saturday watching all the videos on the Chris Finch site.  What I wonder at is how the dialog can be so ordinary yet so in character to the speaker, so consistently, even in the little scraps.  The very first scene on that site is the conversation in the canteen about the concert the night before, when Todd asks 'Why did they have to have it so loud?' - and Karl wonders that he sounds like an old man.  The hint of Todd as being what Eileen calls him much later - my sensitive son - slipped in.  And used to and loving the quiet of home already at his young age. 

And then in that Goodbye Karl scene, when Todd talks about when he was a boy and went to the camp in the Peaks and was so homesick.  It is his analogy for coming out and never realizing how close he always was, how hard and far he thought it would be.  But it just like Todd to think of that analogy - seeing his home from a new spot.

Yes, I love that scene Milli.  It is so natural.  The way Todd takes up his plate when they are inside, and jokes.  That indescribable blend of vanishing awkwardness between them, and gratitude and peace and acceptance.  It is not a heavy-handed this or that to the story.  It is not necessarily a final goodbye, just a particular closing, as they find themselves experiencing it at that particular time.  
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 10:18:27 pm by Andrew »

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2007, 02:30:23 am »
Andrew ~  You said it, this is a fresh obsession!  Too right! 
Dang, will I ever get anything done away from the computer?  ;D

For me, one of the big things with these lads is that they have chemistry on-screen!  It feels believable .. the way they look at each other, their body language, etc. .. it is just right.

I came across a Todd/Karl forum online and it was interesting to read what people think about them and their relationship.  Some people thought Karl was a user who preyed on poor Todd; some thought he was the opposite; some thought he was just what Todd needed to get him to face his true self.  But I believe that the story is so much more than musings about who is bad/good .  Karl was not perfect, neither was Todd .. just like Jack & Ennis were imperfect as well .. I think it is so easy to lose sight of the point of the story when one is busy taking sides...

This story has gotten into me bad .. I am hopelessly hooked now ..  ::)..argh..
But boy, it feels good!  ;)

Oh and another thing ..
"Whats the story" with Karl's favorite white tee-shirt?   ;D

Offline Andrew

« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2007, 08:14:56 pm »
The "sink pinning" and "door pinning" scenes are fun too!  ;D

In the door pinning scene, there is a third hand flat against the door beside both of Karl's, pushing it shut while it is being pulled open: Todd's left hand!

Offline Andrew

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2007, 09:23:49 pm »
Oh and another thing ..
"Whats the story" with Karl's favorite white tee-shirt?   ;D

I want that shirt!  Except I'm not sassy enough to pull it off (the wearing of the shirt.  Let alone the shirt itself!)

Offline Andrew

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2007, 10:25:33 pm »
I love that cute little character study early on when Todd has invited Karl to join him and his work mates for a drink , #12 at

Todd is so serious, so deep in the notion of duty that he is taken in by Karl's sly teasing.  He is easily made to feel he has overlapping obligations, not only to his fiancee to leave early but to his friends such that he has to pay them a  tax for leaving before buyng his round.  And the men he is choosing to hang out with are old enough to call him 'son' (very kindly). 

It's like the earlier scene at the canteen, when he sounds like Karl's idea of an old man (or like Karl's father) - not liking loud music, preferring quiet family life.  And the porter's job he thought to apply for - the other man we see in that uniform is much older.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2007, 12:53:25 am »
In the door pinning scene, there is a third hand flat against the door beside both of Karl's, pushing it shut while it is being pulled open: Todd's left hand!

Yeah,  I know!
I noted last night that he has very lovely hands ..  :D

I want that shirt!  Except I'm not sassy enough to pull it off (the wearing of the shirt.  Let alone the shirt itself!)

Come on Andrew!  Sure you can!
If I get 2 of those t-shirts made: 1 for you and 1 for me, would you wear it then?
I am serious ..  8)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 01:02:15 am by Lucise »

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2007, 01:01:10 am »
I love that cute little character study early on when Todd has invited Karl to join him and his work mates for a drink , #12 at

Dear ol' Todd - he carries the world on his little shoulders...always so concerned, careful not to hurt anyone's feelings.
With that kind of personality, it makes you realize just how much it took for him to have an affair with Karl, how desperate he must've been .. all the while tortured by guilt and the fear of being found out; and especially the fear of hurting Sarah.

You know who Todd reminds me of in some ways?  Our Aaron from Latter Days .. their simple innocence just breaks my heart ..  :)